Hello & help please

bratters
bratters Posts: 656
edited October 2009 in MTB beginners
Hello MTB persons from an old roadie.

Having gone senile and having smashed my right wrist once too often, I am now permanently off my beloved roadbikes. In theory, I should now be steering clear of all bikes, but you know know it is with two wheels.

A neighbour dug out of his shed an old looking MTB and I couldn't resist it. A load of elbow grease and much midnight oil later I have quite a decent rust-free nice-running example of what I think is an earlyish MTB but I'm totally stuck for details.

Knowing naff all about MTBs and failing to find anything on Google, I would be grateful if any MTB expert could put a date and some info. to this:

Raleigh Nitro. Rear hub No. W.Germany 433
Frame No. lower seat stem 4143303
Additional number on seat stem label 50705803
Mast badge - Raleigh Nottingham England

Bike identical to this: http://www.vwfi.co.uk/gallery/mountain_ ... _nitro.htm

Thanks in advance for any replies.
The secret of success is honesty and fair dealing. Fake that and you\'ve got it made. - Marx (Groucho)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    TBH you will be better off asking on retrobike.

and get some pictures of your bike.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I remember these! Very common in the mid 90s.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    mid '90's! not that retroas i thought :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • S_J_P
    S_J_P Posts: 908
    I have a riding-buddy with one of those!

It's made of cast-iron, weighs a ton, and creaks like hell!

pbpic1766330.jpg
  • bratters
    That's the baby SJP - although mine doesn't creak! It is made of armoured car quality metal though.

Perhaps you could kindly ask your friend when it was made, what it cost new etc. Anything and everything would be most hepful and most welcome. Thanks a lot.
    The secret of success is honesty and fair dealing. Fake that and you\'ve got it made. - Marx (Groucho)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They were about £180 - and was the bike that came after the mustang series, but before the nasty raleigh maxes.
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    bratters wrote:

Having gone senile and having smashed my right wrist once too often, I am now permanently off my beloved roadbikes. In theory, I should now be steering clear of all bikes, but you know know it is with two wheels.

And you think MTBing is LESS dangerous?

:wink:

Anyhoo... welcome to the lighter side :)
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • bratters
    mac man wrote:
    bratters wrote:

And you think MTBing is LESS dangerous?

:wink:

Anyhoo... welcome to the lighter side :)

The most danger I face with this 10 ton Nitro is getting trapped underneath it. I reckon it weighs the equivalent of 2.3 De Rosas or 1.9 Orbeas. I have christened it IRN-BRU - made of girders.

Thanks to all who replied and thanks for welcoming a dreaded roadie into your world.
  • MTB is in its own sweet way safer than road riding. All my serious accidents have been on the road, on my bike and involving apsychotic car or truck driver. With MTB, its just you, your bike and mother nature, not some other psychotic grim reaper... Welcome fella and enjoy the ride.. you might wanna try wrist straps if you've bust up that much, oh and learn to fall properly with a good noggin cover (full face) on. 661 do good straps.
    regards

Ratty