have you ever been a victim of "bikeism" at work?

124»

Comments

• IME the only time I ever really get comments relating to me cycling is when I'm trying to dry my kit! In all fairness last Friday had occupied the entire rail along the window but I wasn't aware I could have stuffed them in the Comms room ;-) Initially I was a bit dubious as Comms/Server room invariably means the air-con going full pelt to keep it cool but this one also keep the air in the room very dry which was just what I needed to help my gear dry :-D

I also had a brief chat with a women in the lift the morning who commented that the weather is picking up, I responded with "Yeah at least it's not windy, I don't mind the rain!" At which point she looked at me like some sort of mental patient saying "Well I don't really like the rain" to which I said that I don't mind getting wet but being blown sideways isn't fun ;-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5

• I also had a brief chat with a women in the lift the morning who commented that the weather is picking up, I responded with "Yeah at least it's not windy, I don't mind the rain!" At which point she looked at me like some sort of mental patient saying "Well I don't really like the rain" to which I said that I don't mind getting wet but being blown sideways isn't fun ;-)

slight OT - I had the joy's of a howling sidways gale and those big gobbets of rain that actually sting being hammered into my face this morning.

so far todays comment count is hero+1 you must be mad+3
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    I get respect more than snobbery riding into my work. But then I work in Flanders with the flemish and they're MAD keen bikers. I especially get points for riding in on foul days when the rest of them know that they drove rather than get wet and cold. As a foreigner on the plot, It's got me more accepted here than any amount of actual work I do. I don't get points for riding a steel tourer rather than a carbon CX bike but wtf, I still scalp my fair share.

Plus we have a CCTV covered bike shed that can take about 150 bikes and shower blocks coming out of our ears.

I say ride more and be proud of it. I know the snobbery of which you speak and it's their problem not yours (as said ... whoever "they" may be in reality).
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    tav1969 wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:
    More politics than here?!?!?! I think mate most of the things you say in your post could apply to the UK (except the dirt cheap public transport!) :)

Maybe in the banking sector, but I'm in non-customer-facing telecoms! T-shirt and jeans territory (OK, chinos and polo in Madrid). Attitudes are just slightly behind the times there I think, in general. Hardly surprising for a country which has come such a long way in such a short-time I suppose. My MIL wouldn't dare tell her friends that her daughter was living in sin, for example.

Of course there is just as much sub-culture there as anywhere else, but when it comes to being employed, in the main you are expected to very much toe the line.

I am Spanish and have worked in spain, england (and ireland) for that matter. I don't work in the banking sector but I really haven't noticed much difference at all, I used to work providing breakdown assitance through the phone (in Madrid) and my clothes were jean and t-shirt plus I used to commute by bike.

My MIL is English and she is a bit old fashioned. Heck my mother (Spanish) was fine with me taking my girlfriends home for a shag!!! One or two families don't make a country :)
    I personally find the UK a much more traditional country, values wise.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • fnegroni wrote:
    Someone said 'money is the root of all evil'. If no one ever did, I do now.

Timothy 6:10 - "For the love of money is the root of all evil..."

Agree completely with your philosphy, although I do work in Banking. The culture in the company you work for and the people you work with make so much difference to how much you enjoy your job, and therefore how happy you are. There is no substitute in my opinion.

There are enough people here who cycle regularly that I get nothing but support, sometimes a little bit of admiration because I keep cycling in rubbish weather.
    FCN 6 in the week on the shiny new single speed.

FCN 3 at the weekend - struggling to do it justice!
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    gabriel959 wrote:
    ... Heck my mother (Spanish) was fine with me taking my girlfriends home for a shag!!! ....

I find myself wondering if she would have felt the same way about your sister doing the same....

That isn't a question, BTW, just a thought. My personal observation is of slightly stronger double-standards in Spanish speaking countries than English speaking ones, but in all of these things we're generalising to the point of futility!

Cheers,
    W.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    gabriel959 wrote:
    ... Heck my mother (Spanish) was fine with me taking my girlfriends home for a shag!!! ....

I find myself wondering if she would have felt the same way about your sister doing the same....

That isn't a question, BTW, just a thought. My personal observation is of slightly stronger double-standards in Spanish speaking countries than English speaking ones, but in all of these things we're generalising to the point of futility!

Cheers,
    W.

My sister still lives at home and as far as I am aware she does it! Then again, I think my family is probably a bit more relaxed than most families anywhere. Walking naked to the shower even in my 20s was normal, same for the rest of the family, where as here I always have to wear clothes and my wife will definetely get offended if I was walking naked in the house (she is getting used to it though).

Spain can be quite a contrast though depending who you meet and who you tag along with - I find the UK quite homogenic whilst Spain is more fractured and different (not better though).
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Please can someone help me here - I've been parking my bike at the bottom of a stairwell by the back door recently, We've had an influx of PCSOs and the bike shed is chock full all of the time. The admin/mangement knows its my bike and where to find me.

This stairwell is on the ground floor & goes to nothing but a dead end under the half landing above, there is no room for storage and nowhere to go under there, it has been dead space for the entire 11 years we've owned this building. my bike is tucked away and in absolutely nowhere in the way of the (fire) exit door.

We've had a blanket email today effectively telling me that I can't do it anymore as it contravenes Health and Safety and the Disaility Discrimination Act.

Has anyone got any idea how?

When I've asked for clarification of particularly how and which bits of H&S and DDA the admins suddenly want to deal with me face to face rather than commit to writing again. I'm going along with face to face for now but am I in my rights to demand written clarification of what they're accusing me of contravening?