armadillo tire blew off rim

saturnsc2
saturnsc2 Posts: 141
edited October 2009 in The workshop
i'm running armadillo 27 x 1 1/4 125psi tires on my road bikes. i never had any trouble with them. never any flats or problems whatsoever. today the front tire decided to blow off the rim & blow out the inner tube. sounded like a bomb. i had the front wheel off the bike previously to have it trued up. i also had to deflate the tire to get it past the brake shoes while removing it. maybe it wasn't properly seated before i re-filled it? as i said i never had this problem before. i realize these are very high pressure tires & they must ber properly seated.

has anyone here had this happen? is so what was the poroblem in your case?

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I don't know enough to comment on tyre size for that wheel, but how long have you had the wheel? The rim might be worn through use and it's blown. Happened to a rear wheel of mine last year.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • saturnsc2
    cjcp wrote:
    I don't know enough to comment on tyre size for that wheel, but how long have you had the wheel? The rim might be worn through use and it's blown. Happened to a rear wheel of mine last year.
    i think he tube might just have gotten pinched between the rim & tire that's all...
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Duh! :oops: Sorry. For some dumb reason, I read your post as saying your rim had blown.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Probably what saturnsc2 says. Though I had an Armadillo that failed in the side wall, causing an explosive hernia in the tube (actually, three tubes :( ) and needed replacing. Not sure I'd get one again.
  • saturnsc2
    well after i took apart the rim/tire i don't think it's my fault now. the sealing bead where the tire blew off is damaged. there's an inch of the little lip that engages into the lip in the rim is torn off. & it's like that on the other end of the tire where it was blown off. if i re-use this tire it might come off in those same places. not only that the rim has damage also. it's bowed out in the 2 places where the tire was blown off. i tried to re-bend it in & now it's not perfectly straight in those areas it's rippled, so the rim might not be any good anymore now. what sucks is it's an old rigida rim which i probably can not find a replacement anymore...

i wonder if specialized will replace this tire like this? the bike store's reciept states no returns after 30 days. i just called them now & they might replace it, but they want to see it. also they want to see the damaged rim....
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    You're not running them at 125PSI, are you...?
  • saturnsc2
    Barteos wrote:
    You're not running them at 125PSI, are you...?
    no about 100....

just got a new tire under warranty & it's fine now. life's good!