Mudguards - put them on or not?

autobahn
autobahn Posts: 114
edited October 2009 in Road beginners
I want to keep riding throughout the winter and got my first good soaking last weekend. I dont mind getting wet/muddy/grimy as clothes go straight in the wash and I hit the shower. I am not commuting.
Should I install mudguards? I'm thinking come the winter months salt on the roads from gritters is going to be perhaps harmful to the bike components and mguards may help.
I read someone saying they dont look cool and they are perhaps right, though practicality over image is my preference. Opinions anyone?

Comments

• crafty
    crafty Posts: 85
    Fit some guards.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Get some fitted ASAP. Yes, they look crap, but they keep the spray out of your face and arse. If you get some clip[ on ones, you can take them off quickly & easily for rides in the dry.
  • freebs
    freebs Posts: 199
    put them on
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I leave them on all winter, they are not that heavy they make a difference for weight weenies :D If there is a nice day and dry in the winter then I go out on different bike, but vast majority in winter/autumn is on winter bike.
    Tonight I got lights on my Willier bike and about to go out but on weekend will get out the winter bike and put all the lights on there.
    The guards will stop the crap going all over your arse 8)
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    It's winter... use mudguards, no one gives a toss about looks. :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • These seem to have converted a few look-conscious roadies - there's a thread somewhere around here about them and they have generally had good reviews.

http://www.crudproducts.com/products/roadracer
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Put the guards on, put it this way, since I put guards on my old bike I ride more miles.
  • Mudguards, overshoes and lights are back. The jacket is slowly creeping back too. :(

Don't be a fool; fit the guards.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,585
    If you intend riding in a group definately fit them or you won't be popular with the others. If you only ride solo it's your shout - comfort or looking good? I know which I'd go for!
  • lfcquin
    lfcquin Posts: 470
    Mudguards are cool. Don't listen to the negativity!

We're British. We ride in any weather. Head down into the headwind, grit, grime, slush, floods - whatever. Mudguards tell the world you're getting some serious miles in and you're not messing about. Add the biggest mudflap you can find to the back as well. Brilliant!
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Only a selfish b****** would go out out with others without mudguards IMO.

Get em fitted :D
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Absolutely, fit the mudguards (unless you like getting a mouthful of cow sh!t when you're out in the lanes).

SKS Chromoplastics if you have mudguard eyes, Crud Roadracer if you don't.

The (extremely dull) alternative is a turbo trainer. Frankly, I'd rather pluck hairs from my scrotum.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • sloxam
    sloxam Posts: 861
    i got some roadracers by crud after trying raceblades (which everyone seemed to recommend) last year.
    the crud guards are much better imo and much lighter/aesthetically pleasing.
    i hate hills (cos i'm fat)

www.justgiving.com/steven-loxam/
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    DesWeller wrote:
    Absolutely, fit the mudguards (unless you like getting a mouthful of cow sh!t when you're out in the lanes).

SKS Chromoplastics if you have mudguard eyes, Crud Roadracer if you don't.

The (extremely dull) alternative is a turbo trainer. Frankly, I'd rather pluck hairs from my scrotum.

Cheers for that analogy...

I'm now trying to pick biscuit crumbs out of my keyboard, having wiped the tea of the screen! :shock: :D:D
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Getting wet from rain is expected but if you can minimize the spray from the road - especially right up your backside - it makes riding much more pleasant. I would definitely recommend putting some mudguards on.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • fishyweb
    fishyweb Posts: 173
    I bought some Crud Roadracers from http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280393241995 Cheapest I've seen them by quite a long way (and they arrived next day despite postal strike). Will be fitting them to my SCR2 this weekend.
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/287459
    Member of http://www.UKnetrunner.co.UK - the greatest online affiliated running club
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Crud road racers or even SKS chromoplastics without a long flap on the rear guard won't keep those behind you clean/dry if you're going at a decent speed so I don't really get the selfish bas**** comment. I use mudguards to keep me and my bike clean/drier.
    More problems but still living....
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I have SKS chromoplastics on my one and only all year round bike. Didn't get round to taking them off this summer. They are black and pretty close to the tyres, so reasonably stealthy looking. Apart from avoiding the wet @rse / mouth full of horse sh1t scenario, I am also grateful that the guards prevent the constant stream of salty abrasive filth which would otherwise hit the brakes, lower headset race and the front mech.

No flaps cos I'm an antisocial bugger and always ride on my own.
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    I rode last winter with a friend who had no mudguards on her bike She had to be pretty much hosed down before we'd let her in the house. I would be sipping a mug of hot chocolate in front of the TV while she was still in the bathrooom, picking mud out of her hair.

Get mudguards, you know it makes sense.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    amaferanga wrote:
    Crud road racers or even SKS chromoplastics without a long flap on the rear guard won't keep those behind you clean/dry if you're going at a decent speed so I don't really get the selfish bas**** comment. I use mudguards to keep me and my bike clean/drier.

Maybe not 100% but they do make a big difference.
  • Escargot
    Escargot Posts: 361
    Autobahn wrote:
    I want to keep riding throughout the winter and got my first good soaking last weekend. I dont mind getting wet/muddy/grimy as clothes go straight in the wash and I hit the shower. I am not commuting.
    Should I install mudguards? I'm thinking come the winter months salt on the roads from gritters is going to be perhaps harmful to the bike components and mguards may help.
    I read someone saying they dont look cool and they are perhaps right, though practicality over image is my preference. Opinions anyone?

To be honest mudguards look totally s#ite but they serve a purpose so are worth it.

As far as the salt/grit is concerned my personal/professional opinion is that it isn't a big problem but if you're really worried about it then I can recommend this:

ACF-50

A biker at work has been using this for a few years now and swears by it as his motorbike has a lot more hard to reach places/steel components than a push bike does. If, like me, you wash your bike regularly then it probably isn't worth it but is a safe bet if you just want some added peace of mind.
  • rb1956
    rb1956 Posts: 134
    I'm a commuting Fred, but I leave my full mudguards on all year round. It doesn't only rain in winter, and even in the dry guards help keep sand and grit off the drive-train.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Fit a mud flap too. :idea:
  • hodsgod
    hodsgod Posts: 226
    Mine are already fitted, it's a no-brainer