My 1997 GT Zaskar

Dick Scruttock
Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
edited January 2010 in Your mountain bikes
Here are a few pics of my mid 90's GT Zaskar. I have just dug it out of the garage and have began sorting it out so my girlfriend can use it. I have just sorted out the rear shifter as it was only going halfway up the cassette, this was due to the grease in the trigger going very thick so a quick strip and rebuild on the trigger and all is good again.

Just need a new set of a brake cables and it will be spot on.

O and maybe a fresh pair of rims, wish i could find something from the same era as the bike is from as want to make it look authentic if anyone can point me in the right direction.

P1000131.jpg
P1000132.jpg

Comments

• MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    Man that brings back memories! That was one of the top bikes to have back when I first got into this! Bomber Z1s aswell! Love it. That little bit of nostalgia has brightened my afternoon, enjoy :)
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • Just checked and the build year of the frame is 1997.
  • sweet
  • elcani
    elcani Posts: 280
    www.retrobike.co.uk

For all your retro MTB needs. The For Sale/Wanted sections of the forum are a good place to try and sort some rims.

Cheers
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    How did I miss this?!

The Zaskar and the Bomber were born to be together, both the first real hard riding frame and forks.

Old LX cranks too, I ran them for about 8 years.

Period rims would be the Mavic 217. I have in my shed a LX hub on 217 if you want it. Rims are well worn, but still life in them! Hub is perfect. With DT Revolution spokes, only weighs about 700g.
  • Thanks for that offer, i might well be in contact very soon :D

Its a pain as the wheels are the part that take the biggest beating so finding decent retro ones is going to be tough.
  • Class mate, a dream bike of mine back in the day, only with full xtr and Rockshox Judy SL's no less, if anyone remembers them!

Adam
  • Yep i remember RS Judys, always wanted some in yellow for on this bike.
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    I think 517s came out in 1998 so if you could find some of those youre still pretty much "in period"

Do those forks have disc mounts on both sides? :shock:

I had the z1 bams which came out in 98, theyre still working perfectly, on a mates bike though - i gave them away - bombproof forks those :)
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    You want these...

In USA and 2 available...doubt you'll find them new anywhere else tbh

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MAVIC-SUP-217-26- ... 786wt_1208
  • Zaskar96
    Zaskar96 Posts: 174
    Nice. I also have an original Zaskar, love em! :D
  • cool, 8)
    Falcon Sierra - 80's
    Muddy Fox Courier - 80's
    GT Palomar 90's
    GT Zaskar LE - 90's
    Cannondale k v 900 90's
    Santa Cruz Bullit - now
    Orange Evo 8 STOLEN 26/09/10
    Orange P7 Pro
    Lots of kites.
  • Currently sorting out a fresh sticker set for the Zaskar and have just bought a Hope ti-glide rear wheel and a suspension front wheel with mavic 117sup rims. Hopefully these will arrive this week.

Here are a few pics:
    Picture091.jpg
    Picture093.jpg
  • nice GT mate :D brings back good memories

I ran mavic sup 521 cd ceramics on xt hubs for around 3yrs on my backwoods 98 onwards, amazing wheels never got a single buckle and they took some serious abuse!! :wink:
    CUBE ltd 2012,reba sl, XT, saint, DMR, spank, current xc/am ride

GIANT boulder, marzzochi EXR, LX/alivio, DMR, spank, retro build