Didn't break down on the A320!

chronyx
chronyx Posts: 455
edited November 2009 in Commuting chat
Got a puncture this morning due to a piece of stone slicing the cheap nylon specials that came with my SCR2.

Feeling slightly annoyed, but grateful and smug that last night I went out and bought a new inner tube and Presta adapter, and sorted out a basic toolkit (as I've been very lucky so far - 70 miles since I got it 'back on the road'), I got to changing the tube, thinking I can still make it to college in time.

Did the hard part - tube change, wheel in, chain sorted, etc. Go to pump it up and can't get it over slightly squidgy.

Throughout, not one cyclist stopped/or utter those three simple words - "You alright mate?"

The two I asked didn't have a pump.

The cycle path on the A320 is also a leaf strewn, slippery, waste of space.

Rant over, but anyone who mentions a 'cycling family' or anything else to me is getting my old handlebar stem shoved where the sun doesn't shine :wink:
2007 Giant SCR2 - 'BFG'

Gone but not forgotten!:
2005 Specialized Hardrock Sport - 'Red Rocket'

Comments

• Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Spare pump? Why a spare one, just a wee shot of the one that they should be carrying would do surely?
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    You need to work on your forlorn expression. If you look forlorn people will ask if you need help. If you look like you are ok, (have taken the wheel out, tyre off, are pumping it up etc) then people will assume you are fine.
    Presumably you have a low pressure high volume MTB type pump, and it can't do the business on a skinny high pressure road tyre?

People, in general (myself included), are selfish dicks. You need to be as self sufficient as poss.
    If you have a puncture, and I am late for a meeting then tough titties, I'm heading to work. If you have a crash, then that's different, but a puncture you should be able to handle and I have little sympathy.
    On the way home I'm much more likely to offer unsolicited assistance as I'm in no particular rush (SCR not withstanding).
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • chronyx
    Oh yeah, that's what I meant
    2007 Giant SCR2 - 'BFG'

Gone but not forgotten!:
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Had a cyclist ask me if I was alright when I was replacing a tube this morning, and two stop last night after a collision with a car (thanks all! :)) - I'm fairly reassured by the general cycling community.
  • chronyx
    Must be a motorbiker thing, but I normally stop for anyone who's not moving if you see what I mean, even if they're not broken down they could be lost or have had something fall off luggage etc.

Forlorn looks are for wimps :lol: but like I say, even the two I did ask didn't have a pump so couldn't do much else besides smile :D
    2007 Giant SCR2 - 'BFG'

Gone but not forgotten!:
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I stopped when I noticed someone in a bus shelter changing their tyre. Although it wasn't until I was on my way back after already cycling past them. It just never occurred to me to offer assistance at first.

Not that I could really do anything anyway as I don't carry a pump or any tools. But I could have provided another pair of hands.

If I see the same guy having trouble again I may have second thoughts about offering to help though as, despite being the only other person to regularly commute by bike around here, he never INRs and comes across as the kind of person who wouldn't stop himself.
  • get some gatorskins... they are good. my bro and i rode from hereford to rome with panniers and didnt have one puncture. only ever had 1 other puncture using them. done about 4000miles in total.

i'd have stopped though... unless i was 'chasing an average!'

George :)
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    No-one stopped for me this morning, and I know at least one went by.....
    Can't blame them really, was peeing down, and I probably looked as if I knew what I was doing. Only noticed then in the distance when I stood up.

-null-, get yourself some stuff. I always carry spare tube, pump (2), tyre levers, multi tool as a minimum. Chuck in a repair kit and a multispanner as well and that would be you sorted.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • chronyx
    Yup going to get some new slime filled tubes later :) - do the gatorskins affect speed much?
    2007 Giant SCR2 - 'BFG'

Gone but not forgotten!:
  • gatorskins are good for speed. obviously not super fast and feel a 'little' wooden but they roll ok. I have the 23mm ones. grip is fine but dont push them like you would a race tyre.

i've heard bad things about that tyre slime. it makes the tyre heavy, hard to brake, slow to accelerate. and if air does leak it' a bitch to pump back up as the slime jams up the valve. just my thoughts though

G
  • chronyx
    That's handy to know - I'll start with the gatorskins then :D
    2007 Giant SCR2 - 'BFG'

Gone but not forgotten!:
  • I do slow for bikes, but if they look like they know what they are doing I just pass though at slower quieter places I'll ask.
  • chronyx
    Just had a quick 'Google' - What size would you fit 700x25c to a 700x26c rim? That's the size of the tyre on there at the moment. :)
    2007 Giant SCR2 - 'BFG'

Gone but not forgotten!:
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    No-one stopped for me this morning, and I know at least one went by.....
    Can't blame them really, was peeing down, and I probably looked as if I knew what I was doing. Only noticed then in the distance when I stood up.

-null-, get yourself some stuff. I always carry spare tube, pump (2), tyre levers, multi tool as a minimum. Chuck in a repair kit and a multispanner as well and that would be you sorted.
    tbh I never really thought I needed anything since I'm never more than a few miles from home and if necessary could just walk back (work from home so in no hurry).

But a proper toolkit is something else to add to my list.
  • http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Conti ... 360028710/

if you have the standard Alexrims DA22 rims then the above should fit fine. the 23mm version. in fact they will be a bit faster than 26mm tyres

G
  • chronyx
    Yup, they are DA22's! :D Will they still be OK for cornering?
    2007 Giant SCR2 - 'BFG'

Gone but not forgotten!:
  • yeah, should be fine. i've done 4000 miles on mine and only had 1 off... but that was a head on with a car at about 40mph closing speed... so cant really blame the tyres!

thats in the wet, the mud, temperatures between 0 and 40C.

You'll go faster too :)
  • chronyx
    Thanks George, much appreciated!
    2007 Giant SCR2 - 'BFG'

Gone but not forgotten!:
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    What can I say? While I don't do your route (I cross the A320 while on the A245) but I'd ask, what is anyone else going to do for you you can't do yourself, and which you are obviously doing anyway, and when your not in any distress?

Damsels in distress of course always get attention :D , though around here there are precious few on road bikes :? I'd feel a right idiot offering to help one on a mountain bike when I can't offer a tube or a pump (mine does presta only).
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • I stopped for a charming young lady last night, she had managed to wrap a bungee cord round her hub. luckily I was able to extract the offending item and send her on her way
    <a>road</a>
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    chuckcork wrote:
    Damsels in distress of course always get attention :D , though around here there are precious few on road bikes :? I'd feel a right idiot offering to help one on a mountain bike when I can't offer a tube or a pump (mine does presta only).

Most decent mountain bike wheels are Presta only. But even if they're "car type" you can always offer to stick yours in....... your spare tube that is :roll:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    Gator Hardshell now improves on the Gatorskins, so they say.

+1 for Gatorskins.
  • bails87 wrote:
    chuckcork wrote:

Most decent mountain bike wheels are Presta only. But even if they're "car type" you can always offer to stick yours in....... your spare tube that is :roll:

One of my most depressing cycling experiences was meeting a gorgeous blonde female roadie in full lycra on a beautiful carbon Condor with a flat - and I had forgotten my pump.
    <a>road</a>
  • chronyx
    Quick thread title edit :lol:

Made it today! Took 50 minutes with panniers, change of clothes/shoes, tools, big ol' D lock, washing stuff, and college books.

Really pleased :) was really doubtful about it this morning, but it was fine 8)

The Gatorskins have got about 60 miles on now, and I'm pleased with them so thanks for the recommendation again, Geroge.
    2007 Giant SCR2 - 'BFG'

Gone but not forgotten!:
  • cool stuff... think mine are on the way out... had 2 or 3 punctures in the last week or so. Although they have done about 5000miles... so perhaps I shouldnt moan!

G
  • rhann
    rhann Posts: 383
    slime isn't a problem, when pumping a tyre with slime your meant to put it into 11 or 1 o clock position for a few seconds to let it drain and then start.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    chronyx wrote:
    Must be a motorbiker thing, but I normally stop for anyone who's not moving

Maybe some motorcyclists, but... =) A couple of months ago, I pulled away from some lights and my clutch stopped working. I can't recall whether it wouldn't engage, or disengage, but I ended up walking the bike to the curb, hazards on, and got off to have a look. Neither of the two bikes who passed me stopped, or even slowed or made eye contact.

So, meh, anyone who mentions a 'biker fraternity' or anything else to me is getting my old handlebar stem shoved where the sun doesn't shine. :D
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)