Harley to sell MV Agusta

nicensleazy
nicensleazy Posts: 2,310
edited October 2009 in The bottom bracket
After one year of ownership, Harley Davidson are now set to sell MV Agusta motorcycles. Its a great shame, Harley have provided a very much need cash injection into this company, what will the future be for MV? They are also launching their new generation F4 motorcycle at the Milan bike show in November. :o

Comments

• prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Buell's gone too, veery sad :(
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • trekhead
    trekhead Posts: 626
    GOOD
    keep to making decent bikes :wink:
    ole ginger b*ll*cks / the ginger ninja
  • I'm sorry, I know everyone keeps touting the F4 as 'the ultimate road bike' but it's basically been unchanged for the past 11 years, and a new Fireblade would run rings round it.

The best thing that can happen is for an Aston Martin style buy out by people who see the company and not just the balance sheet.

I never understood what the hell Harley were doing in there in the first place.
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    Maybe they wanted to find out how to build a bike that goes round corners
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    Typical MV jockey...matching Dianese skins, Arai ( dark visor only), ubber trick Sidi's, 3" chicken strip on left, 1" on right (roundabout surfing), "my other toy has tits" numberplate slogan, blips throttle at every stationary opportunity, unscathed kneesliders, can't ride for toffee, more money than sense, M3 cab on drive.

If I had £12k+ to throw at a bike it wouldn't be an MV. Somehow I'd feel like a flash pleb on it yet on a £12k Duke I wouldn't?

KTM SuperDuke & a ZX10R race bike for the track, that'd do me.
  • My local bike shop has the new Aprilia RSV4 Factory in the front window.
    That's where my cash would be heading, it looks spectacular, but I'd need to keep a monkey aside for a new exhaust, the can on it is outrageous!
    aprilia-rsv4-usa-5-560x333.jpg
  • nicensleazy
    nicensleazy Posts: 2,310
    edited October 2009
    andy162 wrote:
    Typical MV jockey...matching Dianese skins, Arai ( dark visor only), ubber trick Sidi's, 3" chicken strip on left, 1" on right (roundabout surfing), "my other toy has tits" numberplate slogan, blips throttle at every stationary opportunity, unscathed kneesliders, can't ride for toffee, more money than sense, M3 cab on drive.

If I had £12k+ to throw at a bike it wouldn't be an MV. Somehow I'd feel like a flash pleb on it yet on a £12k Duke I wouldn't?

KTM SuperDuke & a ZX10R race bike for the track, that'd do me.

I owned an MV for many years and would not describe myself as the above. Neither other people I knew who owned MV's. This appeared to me more like Jap owners with colourful leathers etc. Each to their own I guess. The F4 is a lovely machine. From the build quality to the ride. The F4 will most certainly demand more rider input which is great. To my mind, the F4 even after 10 years, is still the best looking bike that graced the roads of Gods planet. OK, it may not have the modern performance value of today machines, but the F4312 RR entered the world land speed record

http://www.mvagusta.com/tools/minif4_31 ... efault.asp

We have two very close friends who work at the factory at varese and we have been very fortunate to enjoy a personal tour of the factory. Just a small operation dedicated to making MV Agusta motorcycle. Lovely people and lovely bikes! I wish them well for the future. Grazie tante !!!!!!!
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    trekhead wrote:
    GOOD
    keep to making decent bikes :wink:

are you joking? - harley have never made a decent bike - it's more like farm machinery - and actually the farm I live on has more up to date technology!

the Vrod was the closest they got but even it can't go round corners (it's fast out of them right enough!)
  • i wouldnt buy one either the KTM r8 supersport would be my weapon of choice it is the dogs danglies, at the mo i have an aprilla rsv milie r chipped and canned 180bhp
    scares me sh1tless sometimes lol
    dont only ride a bike
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    gkerr4 wrote:
    are you joking? - harley have never made a decent bike - it's more like farm machinery - and actually the farm I live on has more up to date technology!

the Vrod was the closest they got but even it can't go round corners (it's fast out of them right enough!)

Harley VR1000..?? Generally accepted to be one of the finest roadrace chassis ever made - but I would say that, because I know the bloke that designed it... ;)
  • gkerr4
    softlad wrote:
    gkerr4 wrote:

Harley VR1000..?? Generally accepted to be one of the finest roadrace chassis ever made - but I would say that, because I know the bloke that designed it... ;)

an attempt I guess - but still powered by something more appropriate in a massey ferguson.

and still waayyy to heavy (although in fairness to your chassis designer mate - this could also be to do with the agri-engine in there)
  • gkerr4
    oh and I would disagree with your "generally accepted" comment

generaly accepted by harley fans perhaps - but it can't compare to things like the RC30 - the OWO1 or even the Yam R7 - and lets not even introduce the 888 / 916 / 996 / 998 trellis frames from ducati..