Easiest clipless pedals to use?

garnett
garnett Posts: 196
edited October 2009 in Road beginners
I've persevered with the Shimano SPDs I have on my 2006 Trek but just cannot help feeling I'd e better off with a Look type pedal.

My problem is I just can't find the pedal socket with the cleat. Lookstyle pedals look much more positive and easier to locate.

What do people use and recommend?

I'm thinking about buying the Look KEO Easy or Shimano R540 Pedals for £30 or so.

Comments

• I use the SPD-SL 105, so basically the same as the r540. i never had any trouble with them, theyre easy to clip in and out of, and ive never accidently unclippedthrough climbing or heavy sprinting. definatley my choice.
    Though bare in mind things like speedplay are double sided and as far as i know you just push down on the pedal itself and it clips in. Only downside cleats for speedaplays are dam expensive as are the pedals. when spds work just aswell imo
    “If you worried about falling off the bike, you’d never get on.”

@mattbeedham
  • garnett
    garnett Posts: 196
    I'm tempted by the 105s. My Trek has 105 and the pedals are only £12 more than the cheapest SPD-SL style.

Thanks for your comments.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I've got the 2009 Ultegra SPD-SL pedals and they're great !! I'm still getting used to flipping the pedals to clip in, but the entry is positive, support is great, they feel very secure and exit is iasy (using the yellow cleats).

I was going to get the 105, but got a great deal on the Ultegras. The 2009 Ultegras have a wider platfirm than the 2009 105s, I'm not sure whether the 105 is to be revised for 2010 though. Either way, the SPD-SL pedals are a nice pedal to use.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • yeah, it becomes natural clipping in and out of them. I got into ahbit where the less i think the easier it is. I clip in on the right, push off and just go into a pedal stroke to clip in as i would normally. plus i feel safer than using toe straps whcih are impossible to get out of in a hurry if theyre tight.
    “If you worried about falling off the bike, you’d never get on.”

@mattbeedham