Bloody bloody X9 jockey wheels

v23
v23 Posts: 217
edited October 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
That's two bottom ones have that seized up now. Firstly the original one and then a replacement BBB one. Are there any decent ones out there that will last more than a couple of weeks, or should I just bin it off and get an X0 mech, though I'm just as worried about the carbon cage on those.

Help me please.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    strange must be something you are doing/not doing.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • v23
    I suppose it could be down to my cleaning regime. However, in years and years (ten plus) of running the same rear mech on my old bike and have a more lax cleaning regime I never encountered the jockey wheels seizing.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    i've just bought some new ones for my X9, my old one didn't sieze but i snapped a tooth on it, never happened with my old shimano XT but sh*t happens.

JE James are selling a pair at £14 for the X9 :D
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Myabe your cleaning regime is washing muck in/grease out, even sealed bearings are not sealed given enough 'force'.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • v23
    No jet washing. They're just very poor in my opinion.
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    Try changing the bottom bearing for one of these , they are only £1.98 each and last longer than the SRAM bearings.

6801 double sealed bearing from most bearing stockists.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/sear ... &x=12&y=17
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Have you cleaned the BBB one out? Their bearing's good quality and well sealed, but much can build up outside the seals but between the wheel and the shells, which jams it up even though the bearing's still free. Definately worth checking. With these, giving them a wee clean out every so often helps, doesn't take 2 minutes to do. The bearing's replacable if need be too.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Good point, had a shimano with a sticky wheel, removed, wiped, fitted, span like a dream.....just gunge and crud building up around the seals.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.