Exmoor Beast this Sunday

Mendip rouleur
Mendip rouleur Posts: 163
I'm finishing my season with this ride on Sunday.

Any tips or valuable info. from those who have ridden it before or who know the roads down there?
“I ride my bicycle to ride my bicycle.”

http://mendiprouleur.blogspot.com/

Comments

• risi
    risi Posts: 231
    Went for a recce a couple of weeks ago. We were going to do the large loop of the 100 mile course, but a front tyre blowout going down Countisbury Hill cut the day short. We did manage to get most of the way to Simonsbath before it became apparent that we would have to stop.

What I learnt though:

Dunkery Beacon isn't actually that bad*. Its steep at the bottom - and its steep straight away from the left turn just after Luccombe. So make sure you're in the right gear. There's a cattle grid on this first steep part. It was fine in the dry. Once you crest this first steep part, it actually goes downhill a bit and through the ford. This was dry so we went over it, but the road surface is awful. If the ford is in flood, use the bridge. Then its uphill to the top, but its long & not horribly steep.
    Nothing too serious until Countisbury Hill. This is steep, but in the downwards direction. Just be careful, especially if its busy. The steepest part is at the bottom.
    If you've looked at the course on bikehike, the gradient profile shows some really steep sections coming out of Lynmouth (steeper than Dunkery Beacon). This is a lie. Its just long and fairly steady.
    After that, it's all new to me too. Oh, there's a lot of cattle grids.

* I should add: I'm 6'2" & 15 stone, so there's a lot of me to get up the hills.
    Specialized Allez
    Trek 6500
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953

Any tips or valuable info. from those who have ridden it before or who know the roads down there?

Bring a coat
  • vs
    vs Posts: 468
    risi wrote:
    Dunkery Beacon isn't actually that bad*.

That's because you didn't ride Dunkery Beacon; the Beast checks out to the right and skirts around the side, Dunkery proper is straight on. The actual climb of Dunkery is a hell of a lot worse, ave 18%+ for 2 miles straight up; try day 3 of The Tour of Wessex.

The Beast actually manages to miss all the major climbs around Exmoor; it doesn't get any steeper than the 20% at the bottom of the Dunkery climb and do watch that cattle grid esp if it is wet.

The climb from Lynmouth is about 5 miles long but the first few miles are only about 4% up through Watersmeet rising to about 10% from Hillsford Bridge up to the moor. The climb out of Simonsbath (100 mile) is great. There's then a lovely moorland section to Dulverton. There's then a long drag to Weddon Cross.

However once you get to Weddon Cross the best part of the ride is over. The Beast then seems to go around in circles just making up boring miles.
  • risi
    vs wrote:
    risi wrote:
    Dunkery Beacon isn't actually that bad*.

That's because you didn't ride Dunkery Beacon; the Beast checks out to the right and skirts around the side, Dunkery proper is straight on. The actual climb of Dunkery is a hell of a lot worse, ave 18%+ for 2 miles straight up; try day 3 of The Tour of Wessex.

The Beast actually manages to miss all the major climbs around Exmoor; it doesn't get any steeper than the 20% at the bottom of the Dunkery climb and do watch that cattle grid esp if it is wet.

The climb from Lynmouth is about 5 miles long but the first few miles are only about 4% up through Watersmeet rising to about 10% from Hillsford Bridge up to the moor. The climb out of Simonsbath (100 mile) is great. There's then a lovely moorland section to Dulverton. There's then a long drag to Weddon Cross.

However once you get to Weddon Cross the best part of the ride is over. The Beast then seems to go around in circles just making up boring miles.

True (I have ridden the other way & up to the actual beacon too), but for the sake of this route it was shorter than saying "the road that goes towards, and then around, Dunkery Beacon." :wink:

I was being a bit flippant when I said the rest was all new to me; I know bits of the area quite well, but can't always join the dots together if you know what I mean. But I did fear that somewhere after Dulverton it could get a bit tedious and that appears to be the case from what you see. Ah well, we'll see on Sunday.
    Specialized Allez
    Trek 6500
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Would love to hear back from you after the event !!

I've commited to it next year (I've been on the road bike since July). The above detail sounds daunting, but I reckon that aslong as I put the miles in and hit the hills over the winter and next year, I should be fine :?
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    forecast looks rubbish doesn't it?
    I hope the food stop is as good as last year. As it's the last sportive of the year, I'm going to allow myself a longer than average stop (i'm hoping for hot soup and a bacon butty again) but will hopefully push off again within 10 minutes.
    that reminds me, I really must sort out my b&b
    see you there
  • Thanks for all the tips. The forecast does look like it's going to be wet, if not on the actual day, certainly the night before.

For a while this week I thought I might not need a coat, I live in North Somerset and it was 18 degsC today.

Looking forward to it now!

• Sorry bit OT but I didn't know about this event (new to cycling) shame entries have closed but I live nearby. Anyone with previous experience able to give pointers on how much fitness is needed? I can do 60 east devon miles (ergo: hilly) at the moment ? (100 mile route)
    The British Empire never died, it just moved to the Velodrome
  • risi
    Sorry bit OT but I didn't know about this event (new to cycling) shame entries have closed but I live nearby. Anyone with previous experience able to give pointers on how much fitness is needed? I can do 60 east devon miles (ergo: hilly) at the moment ? (100 mile route)

There are 50 spaces available to those who turn up between 2pm & 6pm on Saturday at the event hq according to www.exmoorbeast.org

My first sportive was the Forest of Dean Spring Classic back in May. 85 hilly miles. Up until then, the furthest I had ridden was about 55 miles, but found the 85 no problem (& could have carried on to 100). I would think that you could manage the 100 if you take it steady and make sure you drink & eat properly (reminder to self...).

You could divert to the 100km course at the first feed stop after 30 odd miles, which will probably have given you enough time to decide how you're going.
    Specialized Allez
    Trek 6500
  • Forecast looks dreadful... glad I didn't enter this... 8)
    left the forum March 2023
  • dbg
    dbg Posts: 846
    Anybody daft enough to enter a sportive in Nov deserves a good soaking! :D
  • careful
    careful Posts: 720
    I did the 103k route yesterday. The wooded 2 miles from Luccombe up to Cloutsham (referred to in above posts as Dunkery) is very slippery at the moment with leaves and conker shells etc. From Cloutsham on is fine but the first 30 or so mlies will be a lot harder in the very likely event of a South West wind. As noted above, the cattle grid 100 metres after the sharp left turn (just after Luccombe) is deadly when wet as it is on the 20% bit. You need to get some speed up before and be seated when you hit it. Alternative is to walk over it or use the gate alongside. The drains under the ford have been cleared and it is dry at the moment but very rough cobbly surface. Unless you have sturdy wheels you might be better walking 4 or 5 metres here.

Hope this is helpful to some!! Apologies if Im telling others stuff they already know.
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    I've got a couple of spare entries if anyone wants them... signed up but can't afford the car hire and accommodation costs. PM me if interested.
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • pjm-84
    pjm-84 Posts: 819
    Dusted off the road bike yesterday in preparation for this one although it sounds like the cross bike maybe a better option!
    Paul
  • pjm-84
    Was it windy or what....... those with deep section wheels I hope you guys survived!
    Paul
  • Poulsy
    Poulsy Posts: 155
    The wind was insane. Made it much toughr than it had a right to be! It was blowing people of ftheir bikes! Prob the worst weather I have ever ridden in. The 100 mile was cancelled.
  • skinsey
    skinsey Posts: 105
    The first half of the Beast was probably the windiest, wildest weather I've ridden in, and that includes some winter audaxes in Wales. It was a good decision to cancel the 100 mile route, but a less good decision to let the original 100 km riders leave first, as that, plus the reduced gaps between the starting groups as a result of the 8 am start, was a recipe for chaos on the first climbs.

There was some pretty bad behaviour out there I thought - people trying to charge through groups up narrow lanes, people pushing up the hills not keeping to the side so exacerbating an already difficult situation, lack of signalling or shouting of danger when in groups, and the seemingly inevitable litter.

I have to say that as a result of that and the weather I didn't experience any "that makes it all worthwhile" moments yesterday, the first time that's happened to me on a ride.

Credit to the organisers where it's due though:
    - the soup at the feedstations was very welcome
    - no problems with signage & marshalling
    - there was good clear communication in the morning
    - the venue was a good one for coping with the numbers of riders
  • ebkid
    ebkid Posts: 2
    I found riding in that wind terrifying and packed in at 33km. Nice to hear others found the conditions extreme.

Congratulations and respect to all those that started and especially the 1088 who made it round the whole course. I just hope no one was badly injured.

I think the organizers handled the situation well and communicated the conditions appropriately. They warned people of the dangers and then it was up to us to decide if we wanted to give it a try.

Maybe in 2011 I will Tame the beast again but so far it's one all.
  • This was my 3rd exmoor beast, so i wasn't too worried about the climbs as i live in the area. But when I left at 5h30 am to get to minehead i knew this wasn't going to be an easy one. I Think the wind was the worst as you couldn't tell where it was coming from.
    This is the first time ever I had to pedal as hard to go downhill as i had to go uphill.
    But doesn't it feel great to have made it!
    I have to say that letting the 100k riders go first wasn't the wisest as a good majority stoped all over the shop on the hills knocking me over twice, bending my gearhanger i had to do over 40 miles with only 3 gears. so thanks guys.
    the feeding point wasn't worth stopping for the quicker you finish the quicker you get dry that was my policy.
    Will most likely take part next year. :wink:
  • +1 for the organisers, they warned us, and we went anyway, so I think they called it right. There are too many people in this day and age trying to stop you taking responsibility for yourself.

+1 for they should have sent the 100 milers out first.

I was initially disappointed they called off the 100 miler, but within 3 miles of leaving Minehead, I was delighted. The rain was bad enough, but the wind, my god it was like being on top of Scaffell Pike. I was actually blown 2 feet sideways once, and I'm not ashamed to say it was the scariest conditions I have experienced on a bike.

Still I got round, and look back with a quiet satisfaction, but not pleasure (although the climb out of Lynton was delightful). If I have to make one improvement it would be to try and route more of the steeper descents on bigger roads. This time of year the narrow lanes are going to have mulch etc. on them, I know it's a challenge and all, but with Autumn conditions we need some advantages, like smoother roads, surely?

• vs wrote:
    risi wrote:
    The actual climb of Dunkery is a hell of a lot worse, ave 18%+ for 2 miles straight up;

I have to say this strikes me as the cyclist's equivalent of the fisherman's tale. Obviously you can't have meant this literally, so out of interest, what is the actual profile of this climb. I've looked it up but it would be good to hear from someone who's ridden it.

Edindevon
  • IanPV
    IanPV Posts: 123
    18% for 2 miles would make the dunkery road nearly 600m above sea level!

From the turn just before the cattle grid (which feels like the start of the climb, although you've climbed around 70m in the 1.5 km before that), the full climb ascends approx 340m in 3.2km according to my GPS from the Tour of Wessex this year. It is a tough climb with some steep pitches that make it feel a lot worse than an 11% average though.
  • IanPV wrote:

From the turn just before the cattle grid (which feels like the start of the climb, although you've climbed around 70m in the 1.5 km before that), the full climb ascends approx 340m in 3.2km according to my GPS from the Tour of Wessex this year. It is a tough climb with some steep pitches that make it feel a lot worse than an 11% average though.

Okay, thanks. That's good to know. It does sound like a really tough climb.

Edindevon
  • Poulsy
    Poulsy Posts: 155
    Edindevon wrote:
    IanPV wrote:

Okay, thanks. That's good to know. It does sound like a really tough climb.

Edindevon

After the intial wooded steep bit, it levels off and you think 'phew, that's that done' but then it gets a whole lot steeper again and goes on for quie a way. Not the hardest climb in the world but still pretty tough on higher gears and definitely very tough in conditions like Sunday's. I'm glad it didn't go all the way that day :wink: .
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    What a day! I've never cycled in wind like that and was quite scared at some points. Really pleased to make it round.
    My full 2p worth on here http://2010etape.blogspot.com/2009/11/r ... beast.html
  • That was the scariest thing I've ever done! Couldn't believe how strong the wind was up on the exposed areas of moor. I was being blown around all over the place whilst it seemed that other people weren't having too much trouble - is there some technique I don't know about?. The cattle grids were a challenge in themselves and I nearly came a cropper on the one after Lynmouth. Congratulations to all those who, like me, were daft enough to do it and also to the organizers who did a much better job this time around!
  • vs
    vs Posts: 468
    Anne S. wrote:
    whilst it seemed that other people weren't having too much trouble - is there some technique I don't know about?.

Ride on Exmoor daily and you get used to pushing into that kind of wind.

However I was blown off on the top of Cloutsham; going over that bit was different and probably the worst I have ridden in 20 plus years of riding on Exmoor.

WELL DONE!
  • risi
    popette wrote:
    What a day! I've never cycled in wind like that and was quite scared at some points. Really pleased to make it round.
    My full 2p worth on here http://2010etape.blogspot.com/2009/11/r ... beast.html

Excellent article - that pretty much sums it up. I passed you near Watersmeet, but was concentrating too much on just carrying on to say hello. My legs felt dreadful & had a bad pain in my hip (an old injury that hurts sometimes, sometimes not. Sunday was a sometimes day). Took 3 hours to get to Simonsbath & 4:56 overall; 2 weeks ago that first part took about 2:30. Just horrible, but I will be back next year.
    Specialized Allez
    Trek 6500
  • pjm-84
    Excellent article

+1

I have to say I enjoyed the Beast. The wind, the route, the conditions made it a challenge and the Beast certainly has a bite. Luckily I missed the carnage on the first hill as I left at 9am from a very deserted Butlins.
    Paul
  • skinsey
    skinsey Posts: 105
    Popette - great blog. Think that may have been me you saw coming a cropper at the first cattle grid. Thought that with a moderate application of power I'd be able to sail over. Unfortunately, hadn't bargained on just how slippery it was, and over I went. Oops. I nonchalantly leapt straight back up and cruised up the climb as if nothing had happened, with a throbbing right ankle telling me otherwise. Ah well, if it stopped someone else making the same mistake....

And you're right, coming back up the motorway afterwards (I live in Macclesfield) was mighty frustrating.