Know It alls

Comments

• Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    fatwomble wrote:
    P-Jay wrote:

It's like Cars, by the time you've got the money for that Boxster to cruze around in to try to impress the girls, you're 40, fat, bald and married and no amount of German sports car is going to fix that.

There's nothing wrong with being 40, fat, bald and married :x

And my choice of car is a Lotus Elise, much more hard core than the porker :)

I tested an Elise 111R with a Lotus test driver (Adrian something or other) - handles very well but the engine note reminded me of a bazzed up Nova and it was rather flimsy. Fun but didn't feel like £30k of fun (also shares an engine with a Corolla!).

Mind you mine sounds like a tractor... but a faaast tractor (335d BMW). :D

Anyone trying to impress with a car = fail
  • I like people like that cos it's fun to see the look on their faces when you tell them if they don't shut the fcuk up your gona put all their teeth down their throat :twisted:
    GENESIS CORE 20
  • Surf-Matt
    I like people like that cos it's fun to see the look on their faces when you tell them if they don't shut the fcuk up your gona put all their teeth down their throat :twisted:

That could conflict which is baaad mmmkay.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I like people like that cos it's fun to see the look on their faces when you tell them if they don't shut the fcuk up your gona put all their teeth down their throat :twisted:
    :lol: fu*k yeah!
  • Surf-Matt wrote:

That could conflict which is baaad mmmkay.

I don't see a problem, some dude you don't even know slags you and your ride off so you make him lose his teeth but use his helmet to do it cos it hurts your hand like hell and could damage your lid if you use that so use his.
    GENESIS CORE 20
  • Surf-Matt
    How do you hurt someone with a cycle helmet then?!

I'd take the path of simply burning the f**ker off up a hill. Much more satisfying.
  • Anonymous
    matt, have you really got a beemer?

There are loads of 'know it alls' in every avenue and every subject. I tend to ignore them and not be bothered by them. I cant help thinking that the folk who havent spent as much tend to be the ones having the most fun.

As it happens i usually try to line my tyres up but this is a slight ocd issue that i only have with bikes, i have to find and repair every squeek, i have to have my headset and top cap correctly aligned.
  • Surf-Matt wrote:
    How do you hurt someone with a cycle helmet then?!

I'd take the path of simply burning the f**ker off up a hill. Much more satisfying.

Good point i was thinking full face hold by the chin bit bash away,but not every one wears full face in which case use ruddy big stick. :wink:
    GENESIS CORE 20
  • fatwomble
    fatwomble Posts: 117
    P-Jay wrote:
    fatwomble wrote:
    P-Jay wrote:

It's like Cars, by the time you've got the money for that Boxster to cruze around in to try to impress the girls, you're 40, fat, bald and married and no amount of German sports car is going to fix that.

There's nothing wrong with being 40, fat, bald and married

And my choice of car is a Lotus Elise, much more hard core than the porker :)

Of course there isn't, time and hairlines wait for no man.

As long as you're not cruzing the seafront for 18 year olds live the dream man.

I'd love an Elise - I went the other way and bought a big shouty motorbike, I'll take your no-carpets 'hardcore' and raise you no- anything. ;-)

Fair play, done the bikes thing, made the mistake of selling my last one and not replacing it straight away. Been told in no uncertain terms that I'm not allowed another as they are dangerous (yes, under the thumb but only occasionally)
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    P-Jay wrote:
    If you're that bothered use a white marker pen to show the valve position rather than tart around getting logo's lined up.

What's easier, lining up the logos (no effort whatsoever, you just have to remember to do it) or marking the tyre with a white marker pen?

I guess people might call me a know-it-all, the way I see it is you learn from people who're willing to share, I pick stuff up from people on here all the time and when it seems relevant and I'm confident I'm right (important that) then I'll spout it back. But there's ways of doing it that make you less of a c**k I reckon :lol:

There's nothing wrong with being right, but there's a lot wrong with being right and also being a knobber.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • colt
    colt Posts: 173
    You should never line up the stickers with your valves, it throws the balance of the wheels way out!
    Put them at 90 degrees to them to balance the extra weight, thought everybody knew that :roll:
    Trek Fuel EX8 Rootbeer, mmm beer!
  • lesz42
    lesz42 Posts: 690
    well i get my wheels balanced at kwit-fit
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5
  • Northwind wrote:

There's nothing wrong with being right, but there's a lot wrong with being right and also being a knobber.

Spectacular phrasing! :lol:

Do you mind if I use that at work? Deal with a lot of marketing types and that phrase perfectly captures what I am trying to tell them sometimes. (no offence to any other marketers here, don't want to upset your witches cauldron :twisted: )

Kev
  • CycloRos wrote:
    Sticker/valve alignment :lol: brilliant! are you sure he wasn't winding you up? That's borderline OCD can you imagine what his house must be like?!

Anyway it's not about knowing all the right answers, it's about knowing the right questions. Ask a silly question? get a silly answer.

I would'nt want to know what his house was like as he clearly does'nt look after his teeth. :?
  • Surf-Matt

There are loads of 'know it alls' in every avenue and every subject. I tend to ignore them and not be bothered by them. I cant help thinking that the folk who havent spent as much tend to be the ones having the most fun.

As it happens i usually try to line my tyres up but this is a slight ocd issue that i only have with bikes, i have to find and repair every squeek, i have to have my headset and top cap correctly aligned.

Bought a 335d SE Touring about two months ago. Sapphire black, terra dakota leather, panoramic sunroof, 16k miles, blah blah blah. It goes like sh1t of a shovel yet looks totally "stealth" - love it!

Re lining up logos - I never consciously bother yet never have any issues finding puncture holes. Someone flagged it up when I posted a pic of my bike. It was like I'd committed a crime.

Get

a

life
  • Surf-Matt wrote:

Bought a 335d SE Touring about two months ago. Sapphire black, terra dakota leather, panoramic sunroof, 16k miles, blah blah blah. It goes like sh1t of a shovel yet looks totally "stealth" - love it!

Re lining up logos - I never consciously bother yet never have any issues finding puncture holes. Someone flagged it up when I posted a pic of my bike. It was like I'd committed a crime.

Get

a

life

Well it seems from the majority of posts on this subject it's something most are not bothered or even aware about. Someone on here suggested that I should post a pic of my bike ( honest check posts) and while it could have been seen as joke there was an underlying air of " I need to impose my views on you" and justify my self importance cause no body else will and the detail was rather precise and yet sad at the same time( yeah no issues with OCD or being anal but in denial you can just tell a mile off) . I'm feeling that person has also lined up all his bake bean tins so that all the labels are facing the same way when he opens the kitchen door. Now we know where the League of Gentlemen got their material from when the village of Royston Vasey was created :lol:
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    Well it seems from the majority of posts on this subject it's something most are not bothered or even aware about. Someone on here suggested that I should post a pic of my bike ( honest check posts) and while it could have been seen as joke there was an underlying air of " I need to impose my views on you" and justify my self importance cause no body else will and the detail was rather precise and yet sad at the same time( yeah no issues with OCD or being anal but in denial you can just tell a mile off) . I'm feeling that person has also lined up all his bake bean tins so that all the labels are facing the same way when he opens the kitchen door. Now we know where the League of Gentlemen got their material from when the village of Royston Vasey was created :lol:

Assuming that you're refering to me, then it would seem my attempt at adding some humour into what was a rather pointless rant missed the mark somewhat.
  • Well it seems from the majority of posts on this subject it's something most are not bothered or even aware about. Someone on here suggested that I should post a pic of my bike ( honest check posts) and while it could have been seen as joke there was an underlying air of " I need to impose my views on you" and justify my self importance cause no body else will and the detail was rather precise and yet sad at the same time( yeah no issues with OCD or being anal but in denial you can just tell a mile off) . I'm feeling that person has also lined up all his bake bean tins so that all the labels are facing the same way when he opens the kitchen door. Now we know where the League of Gentlemen got their material from when the village of Royston Vasey was created :lol:

Assuming that you're refering to me, then it would seem my attempt at adding some humour into what was a rather pointless rant missed the mark somewhat.

Oh it seems you missed a mark and I seemed to have hit one ( don't know why) anyway all the best wishes of the day and such like and hope that this not taken in anyway that it was not intended but then you can never tell 8)
  • RichMTB
    RichMTB Posts: 599
    I'd rather use my scrotum as as a brake pad than waste time lining up the logo on my tyres
    Step in to my hut! - Stumpy Jumpy Pacey
  • RichMTB wrote:
    I'd rather use my scrotum as as a brake pad than waste time lining up the logo on my tyres

Well Rich translated it means that you too find the whole valve/ sticker alignment a load of b*ll**ks as well , a response that added some humour into what some found a rather pointless pratice. :lol:
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    In case you hadn't realised, the whole lining up valves with stickers thing, is actually a bit of a joke...

There are a load of 'accepted wisdoms' in cycling (and by 'accepted wisdoms' I mean that they are neither completely accepted, nor particularly wise) which form a kind kind of tongue-in-cheek 10 commandments of cycling... for example, 'thou shall't not use bar ends with riser bars', or 'thou shall't not put Shimano on an Italian road bike'.

I'm sure there are dozens more, including 'thou shalt line up thy valves and thy stickers or the Lord shall spite thee with furious punctures'...

They're mainly there to amuse people on internet forums and whilst may appear a little smug and exclusive, are purely harmless.

I'd rather hope that the guy who used it out in the real world was just joking.
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    Worryingly I went and looked at the pictures of my bikes on the forum, the pics are too small to see the valve caps, but I did notice on my rear wheel the grey and red logos on the spesh tyre are lined up with the grey and red dtswiss logos on the rim (accidentally), it looks good and I now want to adjust the front to match! :oops: sad I know.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • Anonymous
    I just had a thought, In all seriousness, maybe the guy had Asperger's syndrome, or something similar.
    We have a bloke "helping" us at work who's autistic, who constantly frets about tiny details like that.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    i met a guy the other day on my local DH track, said he was gettin bacl into it, he was on a brand new commencal furious, said he needed something to help him as he hadent ridden in years, but nonetheless he was confident he would still be good, he kept going on about how good he was, and muttering about how the road gaps were pretty nice, he might hit them......... anyway, we walked to the top together and..... he was JUNK, he took every chicken run in the world, he was over a minuit behind me on a 2min track, and i was on a XC HT!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Anonymous
    he said he hadn't ridden in years and was trying to get back into it, but you're surprised he wasn't up to speed?
  • Worryingly I went and looked at the pictures of my bikes on the forum, the pics are too small to see the valve caps, but I did notice on my rear wheel the grey and red logos on the spesh tyre are lined up with the grey and red dtswiss logos on the rim (accidentally), it looks good and I now want to adjust the front to match! :oops: sad I know.

Well if these posts are anything to go by then yes it should be a joke (really hoping so) as the self appointed tend to crumble when their fragile egos are challenged . If anyone is that way inclined about their stikers and valves being aligned fine by me but I'm afraid you will have do this without me and many others ...... now there we have'nt fallen out, no one has been taken ill and no animals were harmed during the debate about this subject. Oh for a free and triumphant land :wink:
  • joshtp
    he said he hadn't ridden in years and was trying to get back into it, but you're surprised he wasn't up to speed?
    well, yes.... ok, maybe im being unfair, but he was talking like he was a total pro, just of the plane from canbera world champs........ made me laugh.... he said he haddent been biking for years, and yet he spoke as though he was a living legend, and he was rubbish. and he was on a mint bike, i dont know, he was just...... :lol:
    I like bikes and stuff
  • feltkuota
    feltkuota Posts: 333
    Cycling and cycling related sports like triathlon/duathlon are loaded with the OCD type. I am probably guilty of needing things just so, I do however think it a step too far to line up valves with logos.. Whilst not my biggest problem I absolutely must have the valves at 12 o'clock when I put air in them! Makes no sense to me but I've still got to do it..

Yours, hanging on too tight....
  • Anonymous
    well, yes.... ok, maybe im being unfair, but he was talking like he was a total pro, just of the plane from canbera world champs........ made me laugh.... he said he haddent been biking for years, and yet he spoke as though he was a living legend, and he was rubbish. and he was on a mint bike, i dont know, he was just...... :lol:
    You know, your judging of him, especially compared to yourself makes you sound like a bit of a...
  • joshtp
    You know, your judging of him, especially compared to yourself makes you sound like a bit of a...
    ok, maybe he was a bad example of a "know it all" sorry.
    *retires to small hole*
    I like bikes and stuff