Viper Skinny Boy frame

MrChrisP
MrChrisP Posts: 321
edited October 2009 in MTB general
Ok. I've posted this here mainly because it's not exactly buying advice seeing as I already know I'm gonna get it, but also because reading this forum daily has showen me that most of you seem to know what your talking about. I'm just looking for peoples views on what to do with it....

So on Friday I'm gonna go pick one of these frames up for £30. I'm in the middle of builing up a Kona Scrap but I thought for the price this could be turned into something I can use for just messing around on.

The actual frame I'm getting is Black but this is what it looks like:

ViperFrameOriginal.gif

I'm planning on giving it a new lick of paint (properly done though) and to start off just using some old parts I have lying around to build up the rest of it.

This is the colour I'm thinking of going for (apologies for bad editing my photoshop skills ain't that great). What do you all think?

ViperFrameGrey.gif

Anyway to the important stuff......

I've no idea what these frames are like so that's were you guys come in.

Is the frame any good?, What is the kind of stuff I should be using this frame for

Is this more of a bike park frame for kicking the cr@p out of or should I be thinking more seriously about putting some decent parts on it?

I've seen a forum debate online were people were arguing between a Skinny Boy and a Kona Stuff Frame. Given that my main project right now is a Kona Scrap I'm sure you can guess were my alliance sits, but given my recent introduction to the world of biking I thought it best to ask the people who know what they're talking about.

Again as I say, I'm buying the frame anyway because if anything it'll be a learning curve on building a bike before I get my teeth into the Kona and will also possibly/hopefully end up with me having at least one good looking bike even if it's not up to that much.

Cheers for any help you can give me.
Kona Stinky Six
Kona Scrap
Scott YZ4

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Topic moved to the correct area.

this is not Crud catcher material.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Is this the one that's been on edinburgh gumtree forever by any chance?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • MrChrisP
    Sorry nicklouse, because it was about random advice I didn't want to take up space in forums for actual proper stuff.

And Northwind, I'm not sure. I only saw the ad over the weekend and decided it would suit me for my needs. Kinda messed the dude around thanks to work yesterday and today but will be picking it up on Friday.

I saw somone advertising one of these frames a lot on gumtree a while a go but they were using the stock picture I've used (green one) and it was for £90 so I'm guessing unless they're really desperate to get rid of it then no it's not the same one.
    Kona Stinky Six
    Kona Scrap
    Scott YZ4
  • Northwind
    Ah, might not be... I was really tempted myself by that one ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • MrChrisP
    Good buy the on my part yiou think?

Unless your name is Andrew and you're the one selling it! :lol:
    Kona Stinky Six
    Kona Scrap
    Scott YZ4
  • Northwind
    Well, it only cost £30, how bad can it be? :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • MrChrisP
    Well that is a stupid question. It could be very bad.

I should point out that if it's gone beyond help I wont be taking it but from what I've been told it should be solid.
    Kona Stinky Six
    Kona Scrap
    Scott YZ4