Industrial Placement

mattbass789
mattbass789 Posts: 355
edited October 2014 in The bottom bracket
Hi all,
Im a 2nd year marketing student at newcastle university, and am looking for a placement in a cycling based company. Ie, manufacturer, retailer such as wiggle. etc to work in the marketing dept.

ive numerous CVs and personalised cover letters completed already but does anyone know of, or for that matter work for a company that activeley offers industrial placements to undergraduate students?

Im really keen to keep it in the cycling industry obvioulsy because of my high interest and being a cyclist myself only adds to the desire.

Thanks for any help.
Matt.
“If you worried about falling off the bike, you’d never get on.”

@mattbeedham

Comments

• MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I suspect that your best bet is to write directly to the companies you'd like to do your placement with, explain your situation and cross your fingers...... but I guess you're way ahead of me and have already done that ? :wink:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • yeah ive written and emailed in the last couple of days. Im just very eager to get things rolling as it were. Still fingers crossed! if not ill start applying for ones through my careers service, for companies suck as GlaxoSmithKline, and Exxonmobil, etc.... thought itd be great to do one that im really passionate about. have applied for halfords already. :|

@mattbeedham
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    You could the voluntary sector in the form of the CTC
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    I have a contact at Champion Systems and another at Neilpryde - do you want me to enquire?
    Steve
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • any contact would be great, if you could get in contact and let me know what their contact details are and let them know ill forward my CV and a conver letter on to them.

I should probably mention Im wanting to be UK based, il just looked at their websites and it seems like a possible outcome.

Thanks very much.

@mattbeedham
  • pottssteve
    No worries,
    I've emailed them and will let you know the outcome. It's evening here so I wouldn't expect a reply until tomorrow at the earliest.
    Cheers,
    Steve
  • Just apply to as many as you can - sadly in the recession loads of placements were pulled. I highly recommend 3M - They are truly world class and their placement scheme is excellent.

If you get a cycle based one then great, if not then thank yourself you got one at all.

Best of luck
    What wheels...? Wheelsmith.co.uk!
  • thank you, thats exactly my point. i cant imagine leaving uni with the work experience i have now. one of the reasons i chose this uni and did well enough to get in. just want to get one, going for an area i care about, then going for ones pushed by the uni.

Thanks for your support.

@mattbeedham
  • pottssteve
    Matt,
    Please PM me your email address and I'll forward it to my contact at Neilpryde.
    Best,
    Steve
  • a gentle bump

@mattbeedham
  • HonestAl
    HonestAl Posts: 406
    Have you tried asking Planet X? Not sure they've got a "marketing department" but I suspect you could learn a fair bit about business
    "The only absolute statement is that everything is relative" - anon
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Best of luck in the applications mate.
    I'm applying for loads myself at the moment (but in financial services/regulation) and the work you have to put in is ridiculous.

Hope you manage to find a great placement!
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Anyone got any mechanical engineering placements up for grabs :lol::wink:

Seriously though if you have, pretty please :D
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Hi,

Similarly to Matt I am a second year student at university in Bristol, a keen cyclist, and I'm looking for an industrial placement in this sector. I study business management and marketing, and currently work part time as a sales assistant for Evans Cycles. Would anyone have any recommendations for any cycling organisations / brands that offer industrial placement opportunities for undergraduates?

Thanks

Dom
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Hi,

Similarly to Matt I am a second year student at university in Bristol, a keen cyclist, and I'm looking for an industrial placement in this sector. I study business management and marketing, and currently work part time as a sales assistant for Evans Cycles. Would anyone have any recommendations for any cycling organisations / brands that offer industrial placement opportunities for undergraduates?

Thanks

Dom

I would have thought as a 'decent' bike shop your employer should be able to help you out :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Gonna be brutally honest with you, unless long term you want to get into cycling as a career try and get in to a blue chip or well known organisation instead. Working for a big name will make you more employable.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,360
    I'm befuddled. Is this a follow up thread? Did mattbass get a placement?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Necrothread
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,872
    is that a yes then?