Is This Normal?? First ride problems

velvetmoog
velvetmoog Posts: 26
edited November 2009 in MTB beginners
So on Saturday i took my new bike for its first off road ride. Did the evans ride it thing.

So my front brake is fooked, the spring arm bent and part of it snapped, they are formula oro, is this something that i have to expect to happen quite regularly cause i am surprised that it happened at all.

Also any advice for this prob? i took the wheels out to clean the bike and now the rotors dont go back in the brakes properly and just stick and rub... is that normal when you remove the wheel..

Or am i just being stupid???

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the spring arm bent and part of it snapped

what have you done? what spring arm?
    took the wheels out to clean the bike and now the rotors dont go back in the brakes properly and just stick and rub

push the pistons home with something flat and clean.

Next time you remove the wheels dont pull the brake lever and use the pad spacers when transporting the bike without the wheels fitted.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    What do you mean by the spring arm?

And the position of the pistons (which push the brake pads) adjusts automatically so that as the pads wear and get thinner, the brake still bites at the same point in the lever stroke.

However, this means that if you pull the lever with the wheels removed, the pistons will adjust for the fact that they've protruded further (they weren't stopped by the pad hitting the disc) and you end up with the pads "auto adjusted" too far. Use something like a clean tyre lever or flat screwdriver to carefully push the pads back.

EDIT: Beaten to it!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Cheers guys...

Will try that tonight.

By the spring i mean this :

17212f.jpg

The circular hole at the top had broken in 2 and one of the arms was bent and pointing out the pad housing, it was twisted round a lot.. I was just curious if this was something that was common, or if it was unusual.

Also any advice, my front brake lever doesn't spring back, it just stays on when you pull it. Bit annoying as i have only ridden it once...
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like you did that trying to force the rotors in.

First time I have heard of anyone snaping a pad spring on any brake other than through wear and tear.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • It was sticking out before i removed the wheel, wondered if it could be a defect of some kind?
  • Sounds like it wasn't assembled correctly in the first place. Never heard of that happening before - I would suggest almost impossible to do even through abuse if it's put together correctly.
    Be happy, communicate happiness.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I've had a pad spacer spring self destruct on Avid Juicy 7s, mid ride, but they weren't new pads although they weren't fooked either.

Usually get new springs when you buy new pads, often had them wear away when pads were worn down.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    You'll get a new spring if you buy official Formula pads, but I've bought Goodridge pads for my Oros recently and they didn't come with a spring.
  • Superstar pads cone with springs too :)
  • tombate911
    tombate911 Posts: 1,590
    stumpyjon wrote:
    I've had a pad spacer spring self destruct on Avid Juicy 7s, mid ride, but they weren't new pads although they weren't fooked either.

Usually get new springs when you buy new pads, often had them wear away when pads were worn down.

did the same n my jucies a few weeks back, was surprised because there was still a few mm of pad left, but the design of the spring means that you cant let you pads get to low without the rotor catching and dragged the spring out, well thats what i have found out with mine so far,