Hub Gears: Mending Punctures

Adda
Adda Posts: 7
edited October 2009 in The workshop
Morning All,

Having recently acquired a hub-geared bike (Charge Mixer: v. lovely!) , I was wondering whether you had any tips on mending punctures and removing tyres on bikes with hub gears (i.e. without having to disconnect the cable running into the hub mechanism from the bike?)

Cheers!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    removing the cable is easy. have a read of the relavant makers info. but most just un hook.

otherwise it is not that hard to unseat the tyre and get the tube out to inspect it and patch it working around the frame.

but easier just to unhook the wire.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Adda
    Adda Posts: 7
    Bra tack (my Swedish is a bit rusty) Nicklouse. Good advice. It's a Shimano Alfine, so should be reasonably straight-forward.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Alfine IIRC is a simple one but can be mucky as the connection point is close to the chain, but un hooking the outer first makes it easy/simple. (if i am thinking of the right one).

done a few recently and the chain operated 5 speed ones are the worst.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • When I first got my Alfine geared bike, I fixed two punctures by removing the tyre with the wheel still on as I was unaware on how to remove the cable.

I've now fond out that it is pretty easy to unhook the cable and drop the wheel out.

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."