What do you wear when MTB'ing???

podgeorge
podgeorge Posts: 188
edited October 2009 in MTB general
So, i am looking to get some clothes for MTB at the moment, as currently i just wear an old top, and shorts on top of padded lycras, but its just not working, and want to invest in some stuff which is deisgned for the stuff i do in it. I am 15 and go MTB strait from school onto the Malvern's, but i look a bit stupid and people always take the piss! haha :lol: I mainly do XC, and trail stuff, but i don't want to look like real keano with his skin tight everything......etc (don't start thinking that i'm a bit podgy cause i'm definately not :wink: )
This begs to ask the question:

What do you wear, when you go MTB'ing?

Comments

• Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    I would say who cares what they think but at that age theres massive peer pressure to look cool ;)
  • _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    it ranges from a buffalo to a G-String, weather dependant naturally...
    (I don't seem to have so many riding buddies in summer :cry: )
    Not really active
  • Meh whatever the weather I always wear exactly the same stuff.

Pair of free ride padded shorts or baggy shorts with a chammy and a freeridee/DH top Royal/TLD/Fox

Be it XC, Street, DH always the same :)

Only thing that varies is the armour/gear I wear under and over
    I use all 9 inches.

Sabrina
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    I avoid anything cotton as it's a nightmare when it gets wet.

Usually, my Sombrio Pinner Shorts, they're awesome, but cost the same as the moom.

My Endura Humvies and Zymes are just as good and cost half as much.

Dakin or Sombrio jerseys, with one of my Howies Base layers underneath (Warm, Soft and Comfy as Boobs[c])

Sombrio Ferensics gloves.

Pair of 5.10's, G Shock on my wrist and a Fox Flux

My name is PJ, and I'm a lable whore.
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    Briggo wrote:
    I would say who cares what they think but at that age theres massive peer pressure to look cool ;)

Totaly agree with the above. I wear a lot of Endura gear mainly because thats what my LBS sell and it's pretty good stuff for the price. They do a good range of baggy shorts with inners, thats what i tend to wear for most of my trail riding. I think a good pair of shorts will be a good investment for you. If its wet or muddy I will wear a set of lycra bibs, they keep you warm when wet and at the end of the ride you peel them and your clean underneath, good if you need to get back in the car.

A good lightweight windproof will be a good investment too. None of this has to break the bank though if you are tight on cash.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Turrican
    Turrican Posts: 755
    I wear camo trousers or camo shorts and camo hoody top all different thicknes depending on time of year haha. But i def want to invest in some freeride shorts and DH top etc i also wear bmx / skate trainers for my flats.
    I don't have a bike addiction problem.....bikes seems to have a problem with me.....it just can't seem to stay on.

http://www.moredirt.co.uk/users/FlowRideR661/
    http://flowrider661.pinkbike.com/
  • All my shorts are Endura, sheer convenience with the inners.
    Shirts are either a large baggy tee shirt, not MTB branded or a nice baggy ice hockey shirt from my past sporting days.
  • podgeorge
    Briggo wrote:

I am usually that sort of person and don't really mind but this just annoys me so i am going to get some good stuff anyway!

Thanks everyone else for your suggestions, i noticed Endura shorts tend to be the most popular, and i am looking into some baggy shorts, would you recommend Endura as a brand?
  • P-Jay
    podgeorge wrote:
    Briggo wrote:
    would you recommend Endura as a brand?

Yeah, they're a good mix of performance/VFM. The shorts are especially good value because they generally come with liners, most others don't and liners cost a bloody fortune.

The deisgns don't change much year on year and they're usually muted greys, browns and sand coloured. You can go mental with jazzy colours and deisgns, the new Fox stuff is flipping bonkers, but really when you're ankle to eyeball covered in mud and just blasting a trail who cares, as long as it works.
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    I have found its pot luck with endura's gear but the shorts are good hard wearing bits of kit. Ive had endura gloves that come appart at the seams, broken zips on tops and some transfers can come off on the windproof jackets.

They are pretty good at replacing faulty gear though.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • podgeorge
    Thanks guys, i think i will invest in some Endura baggy shorts this Christmas, as well as a jersey and some gloves.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    I wear practical stuff that works for all weathers, mainly cheap and cheerful but stretch to the mid priced 'trendy' for stuff like waterproof.
  • What do you wear, when you go MTB'ing?
    depends on the weather. Lycra in decent weather, merino in winter. no point in waterproofs IMO.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Cyclists do NOT look cool!

Now it's wet and horrible:

Altura Reflex jacket - bright yellow - brilliant piece of kit
    Endura Singletrack shorts - short when over 10 degrees, 3/4 length when not. Fully waterproofed both with Nikwax wash in stuff.
    Patagonia base layer T shirt. Howies merino vest if it's warm.
    Altura ProGel shorts (underneath)
    Spesh Taho shoes
    Sealskinz socks (when really wet, any old socks when not)
    Spesh Pro mitts OR
    Altura Night Vision gloves when below 5 degrees.
    Spesh 2D lid
    Camelbak (MULE)
    Bolle Contour (£7!!) glasses.

Taken years of experimentation but very happy now.
  • blister pus
    no point in waterproofs IMO.
    I'll bite.

Summer, probably. Winter - how do you work that out?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Agreed, you might get away with it on a short blast, but for a really long ride in the middle of winter it won't be much fun getting soaked in the first 30 mins and having to ride all day in wet clothes in below freezing temps. Also, if you have to stop to fix a breakdown you'll get cold very quickly.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    <
    <
    <
    <

As you can see, not a lot!
    Craig Rogers
  • Surf-Matt
    I stayed dry this morning is pi55ing rain thanks to my waterproofs. So why is there no point in them?!
  • P-Jay
    edited October 2009
    I'm not a great fan of waterproofs.

Even when it's 2-3c (I've never had to ride colder) I'm warm even if soaked, and too be frank pouring sweat out of me. Waterproofs double the sweat effect.

So for me it's the choice between being warm and wet without a jacket, or being warm and wet with a jacket - I'd reconsider for comuting, but being as I work from home..

The only time I wished I had one was a few years ago, we got caught out on the top of Brechfa Red in a Hail Storm, hitting our eyes and such couldn't go on. So we waited it out in a wood for about half an hour. That was properly unpleasent.
  • no point in waterproofs IMO.
    I'll bite.

OK - addendum. There is a point to waterproofs if you spend a lot of time standing around. If you're spending most/all your time actually riding your bike, there ain't. Even THE most technical fabric isn't breathable enough for cycling. You're going to get wet one way or another. A good windproof is all you need.
  • afcbian
    afcbian Posts: 424
    DHB M1 shoes (excellent and cheap)
    Aldi socks (cheap)
    DHB runcton base layer (ebay cheap)
    Polaris 3/4 length Top (ebay cheap)
    Altura Mayhem shorts (free from What MTB) (or Aldi bottoms if really nippy)
    Specialized BG pro gloves (special offer cheap) (or Altura Thermalite if nippy)
    I also have a Aldi hat to wear under my helmet if cold. (cheap)

Agree with one of the earlier comments..............It's not what you wear it's what you do while wearing it !
    Just get out and ride no matter what you wear.
    I have a few friends who have all the gear, others who have nothing but scrappy stuff. None of us care as long as we get out and ride !
    I ride therefore I am
  • blister pus
    no point in waterproofs IMO.
    I'll bite.

OK - addendum. There is a point to waterproofs if you spend a lot of time standing around. If you're spending most/all your time actually riding your bike, there ain't. Even THE most technical fabric isn't breathable enough for cycling. You're going to get wet one way or another. A good windproof is all you need.

I would have agreed with you 12 months ago when I was wearing a Berghaus RG1 walking jacket but I've found it's just not the case with a well vented 'breathable' 'cycling specific' jacket with a thin decent wicking base layer.

As for being soaking wet and actively cycling, it's fine, until you run into persistent cold wind fresh off the moors and it doesn't matter how hard or superhuman you think you are you lose body heat quickly which invariably cuts your riding time down. I'd rather put up with some residual sweat and warmth and a vented jacket that just about works than freeze my arŝe off prematurely and have to truncate a ride.
  • summer - 661 gloves, shoes, altura baggies, padded shorts, a wicking tshirt/dh jersey thing (i'm not small).

for winter add thermal gloves, sealskins socks, pair of tights and a windproof/showerproof vented cycling jacket cheap from go outdoors (light enough to be bike friendly, and large pit vents too, but just waterproof enough to keep the worst away.

i probably look a right jeb end when i'm riding, but what do i care?
  • summer - 661 gloves, shoes, altura baggies, padded shorts, a wicking tshirt/dh jersey thing (i'm not small).

for winter add thermal gloves, sealskins socks, pair of tights and a windproof/showerproof vented cycling jacket cheap from go outdoors (light enough to be bike friendly, and large pit vents too, but just waterproof enough to keep the worst away.

i probably look a right jeb end when i'm riding, but what do i care?
  • than freeze my arŝe off prematurely and have to truncate a ride.
    not happened here yet. 12,000km+ so far this year, lots of cold wet pennine rides, both day and night, short blasts and all-dayers. But, each to their own hence my 'IMO' in original post.
  • blister pus
    It hasn't happened with me yet this year in the peaks but I know it's just round the corner when the wind switches to Northerlies full time. I also know for a fact getting caught out in the middle of nowhere p!ss wet through in cold windy conditions is a sure way to wind up in trouble. Stay lucky.
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    i don't think Waterproof is really worht it either TBH.

I'm drowned in sweat when riding anyway, so it's wet or wet.
  • pantsani
    pantsani Posts: 114
    I've yet to find a waterproof I don't sweat out regardless of how amazingly breathable it's supposed to be in the reviews.

What I find really handy is my Montane Velo for longer rides as a a sort of back up layer, it's pertex so not entirely waterproof but gives decent protection from the wind and rain. It packs down to the size of a tennis balls and weighs about 100g so is easy to take with you.

If for any reason I have to stop or the weather turns nasty it's just enough to give you some protection whilst hanging about or getting home in really shitty weather.
  • Surf-Matt
    I find a good base layer and a decent breathable jacket (NOT Gore-tex) works fine.
    In fact I hammered my ride (13 hilly miles) this morning in very heavy rain and came back dry on my torso and arms. And my backside was dry thanks to Nikwaxing them. A decent venting lid (Spesh 2D) might help but I certainly DO see the point in waterproofs.

Try Altura's REACT fabric - best I've used so far.

But of course there are some that ride their singlespeed bikes stripped down (no brakes, gears or in fact saddle - they are for poofs) to almost nothing round the World twice a year dragging a tractor tyre and wearing a hessian shirt and lycra pants just cos they're sooooooooo hardcore. :wink:
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    Avoid cotton clothing, it'll stink in no time aim for bamboo/merino in the winter or syntheics for the warmer weather.

Buy yourself a buff, dirt cheap and a fantastic addition, i haven't got one yet but tried one and loved it, really makes riding more pleasurable, plenty of cheap ones on ebay.

Those bolle esp glasses are good for a starting pair to help keep the crap out.

High vis jacket, quite important for the dark nights, altura are meant to be keen on price though endura gear is always better.

Lycra - if you plan on doing any reasonable distance id advise chamois cream or if on the cheap sudocrem stop stop and chaffing, me i use dr organics manuka honey cream, thicker and better than udderly smooth/assos.

Gloves - hmm mace or sombrio work very well for me, just try as many as you can, too much padding on the palms can make things worse so bear that in mind.

Baggies are good for the fashion concious, i have a pair for light summer use but for winter use my dhb merston bibs or endura mt500 longs come out to play, i don't give a monkeys what i look like so long as im comfortable.

Just have a nose through the reviews on crc or wiggle, they usually steer you right.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X