Specialized Sirrus A1 brake lever reach adjustment

matchbook
matchbook Posts: 23
edited November 2009 in The workshop
Hi, I have a 2002 Specialized Sirrus A1. Anyone know if it is possible to adjust the reach of the brake levers on this bike*? I got a bit over-enthusiastic when chopping down my bars, and now can only fit all my furniture (lights computer etc) when brake levers are underneath the bars at an almost vertical angle.

Having flipped the stem/moved all spacers, I find the vertical brake lever position is not bad at all, after covering the bars/bar ends with gel pads & tape I can get into a pretty aero position downhill, resting my left elbow on the bar end corner & still covering the front brake with the right hand, but the lever is so far away from the bar that I have to lean forward to catch a hold of it :shock: .

Not really up for replacing the levers btw as I'm busy saving up for a Tricross :D

*Spesh website says they are" ProMax SXV-85, forged 6061, linear pull".

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    actually vertical? Generally on flat bars you want them a lot lower down than you think so your wrist lies in a straight line from the knuckles to the elbow.
  • Yes, they had to be actually vertical, as the light fittings could then go in the small gap above the gear switch/brake housing. I have since returned them to a more natural position, in line with what you posted, and have acquired and fitted the "Minoura Swing Grip", thanks gs3 for the suggestion. Only thing is it looks a bit cheap, but no matter as I'll simply remove it when I don't need the lights...
  • gs3
    gs3 Posts: 249
    matchbook - glad to have been of some assistance!! :lol:

On the subject of a Tricross, I've just recently taken delivery of my new Tricross Comp (see "Commute" below) which replaces my Sirrus Pro (do do do do...twilight zone-ish don't you think?) and I can highly recommend the switch.
    One thing to note however - the Tricross sizes up slightly differently to the Sirrus and the other Specialized road bikes. The Specialized size chart indicates that at 6'2" I should be riding a 58cm frame. On testing this size I found that I was literally lying face down on the top tube to reach the bars so ended up instead with a perfect fitting 56cm frame.
    I thought that something was wrong with the Tricross sizing initially so I also tried a 58cm Allez Elite for fit and it felt like I was sitting on a junior bike - go figure!! :?

All I'm really saying is try before you buy so you can enjoy the Tricross to it's max.

Size chart for your reference at the link below
    http://specialized.custhelp.com/cgi-bin ... 68&p_olh=0

You may also like to know that the Tricross rides exceptionally quickly on Spesh Roubaix Pro tyres....

• Just noticed your reply, thanks for this - it's also very useful advice as I am a shade under 6' and my 56cm Sirrus is a perfect fit. I'll be sure to test out the 54cm Tricross too before buying.