New camera position - your thoughts please.

Mancunianfightingcat
Mancunianfightingcat Posts: 2,054
edited October 2009 in MTB general
As it says above. Ignore the actually content of the video, it's not very exciting, I'd just like some comments on the camera's position.

click here

Ta!

Comments

• tubeless tubeless tubeless tubeless tubeless tubeless tubeless tubeless tubeless tubeless.

:lol:

Looks good to me!
  • NDawn
    NDawn Posts: 238
    It made me dizzy and for some reason I have a craving for tubeless now :) but perhaps angling it out slightly? then maybe cropping the wheel out? I dunno :)
  • M1llh0use
    M1llh0use Posts: 863
    far better for giving a better impression of steepness of hills than some vids i've seen!
    {insert smartarse comment here}
  • 77ric
    77ric Posts: 601
    may i suggest mounting to the rear of your seatpost if you have the space, that way you wont be chopping of 25% of the view with your rear wheel although you would be higher up so it'd be a trade of i suppose. other than that i quite like the rearward facing direction.
    Fancy a brew?
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Tip the camera down slightly - the ability to deal with exposure is limited and at some points the while image darkens when sky dips below the upper third. Tilting down means that the exposure is calculated where the action is.
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • can u post a rewind vid of it?
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    +1 for tubeless rubber queens.
  • BurtonM
    BurtonM Posts: 425
    Thats a good idea, and you can establish steepness as well rather than the usual helmet mount.
    Seatpost would be a good idea aswell.
    I seen one guy with an adapted saddle bag which fits his camera in securely, this was just because he had no space on his seatpost with his mudguard etc
    yeehaamcgee wrote:

That's like saying i want a door for my car that doesn't meet the roof, because I once had the wind blow it shut when I was getting in, and I had my head squished between, well, the door and the roof.
  • great quality, made me a bit dizzy too
    2010 Carrera Fury
    1992 Raleigh Equipe
  • Cunobelin wrote:
    Tip the camera down slightly - the ability to deal with exposure is limited and at some points the while image darkens when sky dips below the upper third. Tilting down means that the exposure is calculated where the action is.

That makes sense, cheers!

Might try the seat post thing too, but only on a dry day, if I'd had the camera under the seat today, the lens would have been caked in cack in about 20 metres. At least with it on the back edge f the swing arm any spray misses the lens.

I much prefer the camera on the bike, when it's on a helmet you lose so much sense of the terrain because the rider's body moves so much to compensate. Handlebars are a no-no too, there's too much camera movement that I end up feeling queezy watching them back.
  • 77ric
    77ric Posts: 601
    Might try the seat post thing too, but only on a dry day, if I'd had the camera under the seat today, the lens would have been caked in cack in about 20 metres. At least with it on the back edge f the swing arm any spray misses the lens.

maybe chop down a rear crudcatcher (raceguard?) to protect the camera

i agree the frame mounted camera is much better at capturing the feel of the terrain.
    Fancy a brew?
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Saw this vid the other day, i think its great and even though forward view is blocked it does show the terrain well, and shows the forks taking the hits...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKrpiq6PcAI
  • Quite like that one, it wouldn't work on my Orange though, too many girders to be able to mount it!
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    forward facing seatpost mount would give you a similar view though....probably better....
  • I'd probably have to wear Lycra to stop my shorts getting in shot and that just ain't gonna happen! :lol:
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Nice rear view, I liked it.

But the video that ravey1981 posted the camera view was awesome.
    Although it needed a mudguard under the downtube.
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    Would be sweet if you could mount it somewhere that shows the rear shock working, but I'd imagine that's pretty much impossible...
  • breezer
    breezer Posts: 1,225
    I tested a load of different positions on my bike before

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHAPty2WMt4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeD4BOL2U2s
  • Some good stuff there, given me a few things to think about