kids bikes

antshybrid
antshybrid Posts: 139
edited October 2009 in Family & kids cycling forum
has anyone got kids into mountain biking? ive got a 10(nearly11) yr old son who im trying to get into the game. do any mainstream bike companies do a bike that tailor for the younger generation???

Comments

• Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Perhaps the best children's bikes are the www.islabikes.co.uk models

The owner / designer has a good peidgree on off road / Cylo Cross, Gras Track and other disciplines so knows her stuff.

NOt cheap, but unfortunately quality does not come cheap.
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I would guess at that age you should look at the smallest ladies sizes.

Islabikes do a cracking Mountain bike for £600 but you dont mention budget and this may be more than you were looking for...

If you want the more budget end look perhaps at the Specialized Hard Rock or Rockhopper. If a 26" wheel is too much then the Spesh 24" Hotrock A1 FS - has the lighter frame than the non A1 versions and I dont think the full suss FSR version is rated.

If they are just starting out I guess the recommendation will be to go hardtail rather than full suss anyway.

Scott and MArin also do some good 24" wheel bikes.
  • All depends on their height.
    When i first started getting my daughter to ride she was 5yrs old, just got a cheap bike from Halfords, then as she has grown and got into riding every thing else changed. At 7yrs old i got her a Gary Fisher 13" ,but by 10yrs old had to get her a bigger bike which was a 14" On One 456. Now just coming up to 13yrs she needs a bigger bike as she is 5ft 8" so on the Xmas list is a bigger bike. In the 3 yrs that she has rode the 456 she has loved it, therefore wonts another.
  • fitch28
    fitch28 Posts: 155
    hi my daughter has just turned 11 and has just grown out of her 24" specialized hotrock, she's pushing 5ft. she now has a gary fisher tarpon 13" which she just got for her birthday and loves. Didn't want to go overboard spending on the bike as she is growing pretty quickly at the moment. got the bike, new gloves and some new shin and knee pads for her for about £300.
  • fitch28
    fitch28 Posts: 155
    just to clarify when i say 13" i mean in adult sizes. just incase it gets confused with the poster above! :D