Pains

compo
compo Posts: 1,370
edited October 2009 in MTB beginners
i get slight aches in lower back and the back of my neck when riding XC for longer periods, is there anything I can do about it with regards to bike setup?
I have a Carera vulcan (:() if that helps
Cheers

Comments

• I am led to believe lower back problems can happen when a bike is too long at the top tube, so you are reaching to far.

Maybe shorten your stem.

What size is your bike compared to your height?
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    Cheers trekex977
    its about the right size
  • I was getting lower back pain when i went from a 16" frame to a 17.5" frame, so i moved the saddle forwards about 3/4" on the runners and it seem to have solved the problem ...
  • ive done 7 vertebrae in by biking and can hardly walk now lol. Must be bad luck lol!
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Subject to getting medical advice - i'd look to do some exercise to strengthen your spinal erectors - e.g. borrow a rowing machine, stretching, twisting etc.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    compo wrote:
    Cheers trekex977
    its about the right size
    Try new riding positions - perhaps your riding position is not ideal for your body. You can get a lot of variation by moving the saddle on its rails, rotating the bars, or moving spacers above/below the stem.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If the pain is in the back of your neck is it because you are inlcined too far forwards and having to look 'up' too much, this would also give lower back pain, as has been said a shorter stem or moving the saddle forward (or both) would help. Moving the saddle is free so a good first step!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • LoUiS1985
    LoUiS1985 Posts: 841
    tilt your bars back if you can
    move your saddle forward on the rails
    shorter stem
    higher rise bars

or a combination of the above should help you out.