The hills are alive to the sound of.....

BurtonM
BurtonM Posts: 425
edited October 2009 in MTB general
WORN BRAKE PADS TOUCHING BRAKE DISCS :evil:
Dalby forest ATE my brake pads today, all 8 pads. Just been replaced aswell.
9 mile round the trail and that dreaded sound comes. Not good times.
Any body else been having bother with the weather conditions lately ?
yeehaamcgee wrote:

That's like saying i want a door for my car that doesn't meet the roof, because I once had the wind blow it shut when I was getting in, and I had my head squished between, well, the door and the roof.

Comments

• Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    Man up and stay off the brakes :lol::lol:

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • BurtonM
    easier said than done me thinks :)
    yeehaamcgee wrote:

That's like saying i want a door for my car that doesn't meet the roof, because I once had the wind blow it shut when I was getting in, and I had my head squished between, well, the door and the roof.
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    you must of been on the brakes for the whole 9 miles, what pads were they?

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • BurtonM
    i have absolutely no idea. the same ones that come with the meta 5.5.2, only i bought new ones.
    it was wet, and extremely gritty and horrible and it was just chewing my pads away
    yeehaamcgee wrote:

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    bet they were the organic pads.

Sintered for those conditions.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • BurtonM
    whatever they were, they will not be getting bought again.
    9 miles... thats just pathetic.
    yeehaamcgee wrote:

• _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    How in the hell did you manage that?
    were you braking going uphill too?
    Not really active
  • stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    Had the same problem with organic pads ... 5 miles into a 20 mile ride i lost pretty much all braking power :shock: Made for some intresting downhills and tight singletrack :lol: That'll teach me for using them in the wet mud :roll:
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • The reason I always carry an extra pair on me
    9 miles is a little extreme though. No previous mileage on them at all?
  • BurtonM
    Yep, there was a kielder red route in moderately damp conditions on them, however this was the sort of bedding in process.
    Altogether about 19 mile ???
    Hmm i dont know what the feck organic pads are, but they surely wernt them. They come with the formula k oro brakes on the meta.
    yeehaamcgee wrote:

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    BurtonM wrote:
    Hmm i dont know what the feck organic pads are, but they surely wernt them. They come with the formula k oro brakes on the meta.

The organic resin pads that come with Formula brakes are junk they are made out of recycled bog paper I think. You need some sintered pads which will last a lot longer in wet gritty conditions

Sinterd pads are made out of powdered metal and are formed in a mould then heated to a temperature just below melting point in a sintering oven which makes the metal grains bond together. Theres other things like rubber or graphite in the mix as well to alter the friction co efficent of the material.

Organic pads are made out of ground glass and powdered resin with copper or kevlar in to help hold them together and a hardener to cure the resin. They are moulded then baked in an oven.

Organic are for dry weather plus they dont wear your discs quite as fast as sintered which can get a lot hotter if you do a lot of downhill or drag your brakes. Some people say they have better feel but I cant say I have noticed much difference.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • BurtonM
    ah mate thanks very much ....
    hmm i seem to be a lot wiser on the old brake pads now
    yeehaamcgee wrote:

• bay73
    bay73 Posts: 130
    _Ferret_ wrote:
    How in the hell did you manage that?
    were you braking going uphill too?
    :D

genius! Thanks for cheering my Monday commute up.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    BurtonM wrote:
    Yep, there was a kielder red route in moderately damp conditions on them, however this was the sort of bedding in process.
    Altogether about 19 mile ???

Pads last ages if fully bedded in in dry conditions at home before hitting the trails