Shimano 6700 wheels with tubeless tyres

baroid
baroid Posts: 87
edited October 2009 in Workshop
Hi

I have just purchased some Shimano Ultegra 6700 wheels that can be run tubeless; I would be interested to hear of others experiences with these wheels.

I was thinking of running them tubeless but can only find the Hutchison tyres that do this are there any other tyres on the market?

If I decided instead to run them with inner tubes I would probably use GP4000s tyres does anyone one know if there is a problem fitting these, I thinking are they difficult to get on and off the wheel. Could I run the GP4000s tubeless, how do I go about this?

Any help, advice or experiences would be appreciated

Comments

• careful
    careful Posts: 720
    I have exactly that set up (Ult6700 with GP4000s). Absolutely no problem with fit and the wheels seem promising so far. Quite light and stiff without being uncomfortable. I havent tried tubeless as it all seems a lot of faff to get a reliable seal. Interested to hear how you get on if you decide to go that route.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    getting a good seal is a piece of cake, if you follow the simple procedure 8) Where did that info come from careful?

But yes, so far the tubeless tyre options are limited. The only ones I know of are the three Hutchinsons (Atom, Fusion2 and Intensive), plus IRC and Maxxis do some, but I've not seen them for sale in the UK.

I run the Fusion2s and have been very impressed. With tubeless rims you just need some sealant and warm soapy water to help fit them and get a good seal.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    you don't NEED sealant with UST, however it's probably a good idea!

Sealant doesn't help them seat. The best thing is to slightly over inflate the tyres before adding the sealant through the valve stem. Pre-stretching the tyre with an inner tube in a good idea.
  • PK1
    PK1 Posts: 193
    Do you need rim tape for fitting clinchers with inner tubes on these wheels ?
  • maddog 2
    PK1 wrote:
    Do you need rim tape for fitting clinchers with inner tubes on these wheels ?

no
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • careful
    Maddog 2

This clip from a recent thread put me off, but I have no experience of them myself - interested to hear how others get on
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af6nWFj6S8Y
  • maddog 2
    if you need to fit the tape then preparation is important it's true. So in that case you need to do some work to get them sealed and working. Personally, I wouldn't call it a 'lot of faff' though but then I like fiddling with bikes. 8)

But with tubeless wheels you don't need any tape. Just fit the tyre with some soap+water, add some sealant (if you like) and pump up. Pretty easy I'd say.
  • careful
    maddog 2 said
    But with tubeless wheels you don't need any tape. Just fit the tyre with some soap+water, add some sealant (if you like) and pump up. Pretty easy I'd say.
    Sounds good - but tbh I would still feel nervous about them - breaking the seal when hitting a pothole etc. On the other hand I am old enough to remember people saying the same thing about tubeless tyres on cars when they first became available. I might give them a try!