Tips on draggin a woman into the woods at night!

scale20
scale20 Posts: 1,300
edited October 2009 in MTB general
ha ha, no I'm no pervert :lol::lol:

This weekend I plan on introducing my other half to night riding. She has been a little weary of it but she has come round and agreed to give it a go after everyone she has spoken to raves so much about it.

I need to make it as enjoyable as poss for her so she gets the best from it. I've managed to get her some quality lights on loan from my LBS, some seca 700's. I'm thinking the more light the better for her confidence. Also I'd say that mounting the light on her helmet would be better than on the bars for a beginer?

Im going to take her on a small loop at the top of the Marin trail that takes on a bit of fire road to begin with to get the feel of it then onto some short sections of single track .

When you first do these things for yourself you just strap a light to youer head and smash it head on, you have to take a totaly different approach when introducing someone to it!

Anyone else done this? Any other tips?
Niner Air 9 Rigid
Whyte 129S 29er.

Comments

• RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Has she actually ridden it before in the day time? Has she actually ridden before?
  • scale20
    Oh yeah, she rides the Marin at least once a week so she knows it pretty well, her skills are more than good enough. I'm sure she will enjoy it but night riding can transform a trail that you know like tha back of your hand.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'd be wary of only giving her a helmet light. It shifts the shadows closer in line with your vision, and makes it harder to pick out dips in the trail, as well as some roots etc. Head mounted is a great addition to bar lights, but not replacement - in my opinion anyway.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    When doing the Sleepless in the Saddle/Mayhems, bar mounted AND Headmounted helped out. Bit bulky with cage mounted battery, but worked well. Head torch was cheap Petzl type.

Tesco's are doing a 1 Watt pen-type torch for £7.99. Worth it as a "back up" with some insulating tape. Bright as Hell...
    Most "Bike Lights" at tis power are around £25 - £50 plus.
  • scale20
    I use both, bar and head mounted. I have both mounts for the lights I have loaned so will give it a blast. Off out tomorrow night so will let you know!

We were supposed to go tonight but got a little pi$$ed on free ale, vodka and whiskey samples at a local food festival :lol::lol:
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Anonymous
    Ah, did you sample the awesomosity that is Toffoc?
  • scale20
    Oh yes, that stuff has disaster written all over it :lol::lol: lovely stuff though. Plenty of local real ales to choose from too, not a big fan of the Conwy brewery stuff though.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Anonymous
    A mate of mine's girlfriend used to go to trade shows to represent Toffoc. He used to go along as well although he didn;t work for them, as he had "the gift of the gab". He usually ended up absolutely rat-arsed after drinking several bottles' worth during the day with prospective clients!
  • scale20
    Well I managed to drag her into the woods on Monday night for a short loop of part of the marin trail. Most of it was fire road with a couple of light singletrack sections thrown in. This was my first night ride of this year and i must admit i was a little rusty!

She went well on the ride taking it easy on the singletrack but all in all seemed to enjoy it. She is well up for another night ride but somewhere thats a lot more smooth and flowing, probably a trip to llandegla or the Cyflum coch at CyB.

Think I may have shot myself in the foot here because If she does get into it I will end up having to buy her some lights.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    ^^^^

So yer sayin yer gonna be taking a rug next time so he doesn't get all scratched fae the twigs etc

Well played
  • See you should be seeing this as an opportunity to upgrade your lights :D
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    I normally do it by the hair, but only after zip tieing wrists and ankles.

Opps, wrong forum..... :evil:
    Craig Rogers
  • scale20
    See you should be seeing this as an opportunity to upgrade your lights :D

That thought did cross my mind 8) 8)
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.