1 1/4 touring forks

RuffRooster
RuffRooster Posts: 32
edited October 2009 in The workshop
Now up to 40 mile round commuter trips on my trusty but basic hybrid, Upgraded just about everything except those heavy old suspension forks - So wanted to switch to alloy touring forks.

Quick trip around the bike shops and on t'internet leave me with the messge of "Ahh, no one makes that size anymore" (It's only 3 years old! :? )

So, does anyone know where I can get 1 1/4 forks? Is it worth the effort or expense swaping out? Anyone else had this problem?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It is an old standard and rarely seen.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    buy some reducers and run some 1 1/8" forks.

a 3 year old bike with 1 1/4" forks is very odd. are you sure of the size?

what is the bike. make and model and year?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Claude Butler Urban 300. Got it almost exactly 3 years ago so 2006, perhaps 2005 latest?

No not exactly sure but that's what LBS who sold it to me said. They don't reckon they can get me any (or can't be 'bothered')

What does fitting reducers entail?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    reducers

http://www.ison-distribution.com/ison/e ... rt=HSIDHRL

but TBH i will be surprised if it is a 1 1/4 steerered fork as they have not been made for quite a few years.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks, hope you're right

I shall go out and take my own measurements when next light and less rainy.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922

What does fitting reducers entail?

You will need to buy forks of the right crown to axle length to compensate for the suspension. Fitting reducers entails the removal of the headset and fitting the reducers and then the new headset and forks, approx an hours work for LBS. Bear in mind the expense of new 1 1/8" forks, you'll need new forks, aheadset and stem & SFN arrangement. I very much doubt the forks are 1.25" as the bike is only 3/4 years old max.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.