if only all concerns were so minor

13»

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I know all you backward people

So backward people ride flats?!

I've said a million times, it is all personal preference, and fun is subjective. Some rides flats. Some ride SPDs.
  • how dare you girls accuse me of being a roady
  • _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    Ooopps,

let's not get carried away here.

Firstly backward people is my opinion - I used to ride flats (when I was a kid) and now ride SPDs - going back to flats having realised the advantages of SPDs would be going backwards, hence you backward people...

I'm not here to offend - the point is that the more time and effort you put into SPDs the more fun you have on them and for me I know I have more fun on SPDs than flats. I think the OP should take time and try to learn SPDs better to get the advantages - but hey, I say that to everyone...
    Of coarse flats have their place, but it's all too easy to give up with SPDs too early, like loads of people do before they realise their potential on them.
    Not really active
  • supersonic
    Oh, I agree with giving them a good chance - same with flats. Fun is subjective, and many think flats are 'funner' lol. Hell, many think fully rigid fixies are fun off road...
  • _Ferret_
    The problem is trying to convince people to stick with it when they continually fall over, stay connected to the bike when they don't want to and fly off when they expect to stay connected.
    It's a practise thing that too many people don't get into enough. They assume that SPDs are easy and should work by magic - it takes time to teach your foot to automatically rotate the instant you might come off.
    What makes it worse is that flats are the cool thing to have and are much easier for most people to ride on.
    Not really active
  • supersonic
    Many have stuck with them though - and gone back to flats. Or use both.

As with SPDs, flats can take some skill to use them to their full potential
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    I'm with Super, use what you feel comfy with.

To the OP about shoes for winter, just get some overshoes for your spd ones no need for winter ones unless you ride through lakes :) I have Sealskins but find water still gets in at the top so I bought some overshoes and they were great at the weekend nice dry feet despite the 10 foot of rain we had.
  • kangaroo
    kangaroo Posts: 1,199
    no need to get all upset. just cause i like flats, and yes i do have more fun on flats.

i carnt see how people clame to have more control on spds, on flats i can push into the pedals for control, on spds i carnt do this, the float just doesnt allow me to.
    its true on really rough stuff you can just cling to your bike and rely on the spds to keep you on there, but on flats if you know how you can push into your pedals and have really great grip and control.

i can unclip fine on spds, so not really to much of an issue
    it is faster on flats to just whip your foot off, and put it back though
    and if im going over really technical stuff, i find it easier on flats, and i also have more confidence
    what are brakes for again
  • _Ferret_
    kangaroo wrote:
    no need to get all upset. just cause i like flats, and yes i do have more fun on flats.

i carnt see how people clame to have more control on spds, on flats i can push into the pedals for control, on spds i carnt do this, the float just doesnt allow me to.
    its true on really rough stuff you can just cling to your bike and rely on the spds to keep you on there, but on flats if you know how you can push into your pedals and have really great grip and control.

i can unclip fine on spds, so not really to much of an issue
    it is faster on flats to just whip your foot off, and put it back though
    and if im going over really technical stuff, i find it easier on flats, and i also have more confidence

Try some Shimano M545s - This gives you the control you're talking about for DH (I'm sure you'll dissagree on this but still..). Next, don't tell me that you can ride SPDs and then say you have to "cling" to your bike going downhill, this just makes me think that you tried it and felt unstable downhill so switched to flats... (please convince me this isn't so)

It's obvious that you'll have more confidence over technical stuff if you are on flats - you can easily step off...
    Not really active
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Ferret, give it up man. You're the kind of SPD fanboi that drives people insane.
  • _Ferret_
    I'll let it go then - just feel sad that the OP will be battered by you guys into thinking that flats are better.
    Anyway I wouldn't want to drive an old man insane :wink:
    Not really active
  • kangaroo
    kangaroo Posts: 1,199
    no i dont have to cling to the bike when on spds to stay on
    what are brakes for again
  • Anonymous
    _Ferret_ wrote:
    I'll let it go then - just feel sad that the OP will be battered by you guys into thinking that flats are better.
    Anyway I wouldn't want to drive an old man insane :wink:
    You're a bit of a hypocrite aren't you? You're willing to batter him into submission about SPDs.
  • _Ferret_
    Nah - I'm not big enough for battering people.
    I'm trying to say that giving up on SPDs too early will mean you'll never know what you might be missing.
    (I think I said that before in this thread but hey, don't worry about it I won't hold a grudge)
    Not really active
  • Anonymous
    You do repeat yourself somewhat.
    Also, if you're not "big enough for battering people", I'd be very wary of angering people.
  • _Ferret_
    I find I have to repeat myself on here - some people don't get the (non-offensive) message.

Should I really worry about angering people like you? really?

I can see I'm not getting anywhere though so I'll let this one go. Being a hardcore flat pedal rider is great, being a tw@t isn't.
    Not really active
  • Anonymous
    why do you keep insisting on being one then?
  • BurtonM
    BurtonM Posts: 425
    I rode fort william wc dh course on spds on my meta, and felt fine
    I rode fort william wc dh course on flats on a stinky, and felt worse.
    The fact that it keeps your feet in over rocky sections gives me a confidence boost.
    However, before i used spds the studs in the flats kept me very secure.
    i think its all down to personal preference.
    when riding fast, the time it takes to unclip could be crucial ???
    yeehaamcgee wrote:

That's like saying i want a door for my car that doesn't meet the roof, because I once had the wind blow it shut when I was getting in, and I had my head squished between, well, the door and the roof.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    _Ferret_ wrote:
    The problem is trying to convince people to stick with it when they continually fall over, stay connected to the bike when they don't want to and fly off when they expect to stay connected.

What makes it worse is that flats are the cool thing to have and are much easier for most people to ride on.

Flats are IMO harder to ride well on- when you get up to the pace/roughness where the clipped in guys can just sit on the bike like a sack of spuds, the flats guys have to start using good footwork skills to stay in control. Anyone can jump when the bike can't do anything but jump with them, frinstance.

Your first point's completely right- so many people give up on SPDs without ever bothering to actually learn them. The first experience is the worst usually. But then the exact same is true of people who try flats and give up after one ride when their feet keep on slipping and they can't get the rear to hop.

The fact is, you admitted you haven't ridden flats since you were a kid, so just like the people you criticise, you're recommending what you know without giving the alternative a fair go with your current skills and modern kit.

I take the controversial position of believing both have their good and bad points ;) I used to use SPDs and loved them, then I pretty much destroyed my knee and now I can't use them... So, I learned to ride flats as well as I rode SPDs, and now I love flats too. Sometimes I wish I could still use SPDs, other times I'm glad for flats. I think possibly SPDs are a little better allround but not so much that anyone should not just use what they prefer.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • _Ferret_
    :lol:
    you've seen the chink in my armour. No, I haven't ridden flats in years and I don't say they are bad either, you've just got to give both a chance...
    Not really active
  • z000m
    z000m Posts: 544
    i like spd's who wants a fight?
  • me :lol:
  • Anonymous
    z000m wrote:
    i like spd's who wants a fight?
    I'm up for it. :lol: