Seatpost shim sizes

cjcp
cjcp Posts: 13,345
edited October 2009 in The workshop
My wife's Trikidoo has a 28.6mm seatpost. The seatpost is too short, so I've bought a longer Kalloy 25.8 seatpost. Would a 25.0-28.8mm shim fit ok? Am looking at this one:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=43707
FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
"It stays down, Daddy."
"Exactly."

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nope too thick
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cjcp
    Pants. Does the max tolerance have to be 28.6 then? That one's not in stock. Typically.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Is it a 25.0 post or 25.8? The Shim is for a 25.0mm but you say the post is 25.8 ?

In stock here if it is 25.0mm you're after:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/use ... --ec005386
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • cjcp
    Just double-checked. It's 25.8. I thought the range given for the shim would make it compatible.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you need the correct size or they just will not fit.

TBH buying a new seat post will be easier.

Either the correct size or one of the "standards" 25mm 27.2mm and then a shim.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cjcp
    Cheers, Nick.

By reading the link posted by Slowdown, I eventually worked out what I needed, but I can#t find the right shim size. I've come to the same conclusion as you.

Thanks, chaps.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Struggling to find a 25.8 shim, even the universal Raleigh ones here:

http://www.raleigh.co.uk/p_details.aspx?id=3231

seem to miss out 25.8.

It does look like a new post is the way forward, although 28.6mm shim's seem difficult to find also so may be best getting the right size post and forgetting the shim.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • cjcp
    I was faffing around with the Raleigh two-piece shim system this afternoon. What a waste of time.

I've found a Ritchey 27.2mm post that's 400mm long and a USE 28.6mm shim, so will probably go with that. I can't find a 28.6mm post that long. I'm erring towards 400mm because it'll probably give wife more flexibility with her saddle height (the seat tube is set very low on these Trikidoos).

Not sure what I'll do with the 25.8mm seat post though. Might put it in Classifieds.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."