Need good art!

nolf
nolf Posts: 1,287
edited October 2009 in The bottom bracket
My room in my new house is very bare and boring looking.

I've been looking for some artwork to spruce it up. Have been looking through various canvas' and prints on ebay and other places but a lot seem pretty generic unless you specifically search for an artist or particular peice.

So far I've got a large print of the hands from Michelangelos creation of Adam.
And a print of one of banksys oils of the countryside.

Looking for some more unusual and interesting peices. Desperately want to avoid cliched art work (except banksy), and really want something different that'll make you think, and not get bored of.

I know thats very vague, but if anyone is into art, any help would be appreciated!
"I hold it true, what'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost;
Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson

Comments

• passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I thin mixing classic art (eg Victorian potraits or animal prints) with the contemporary can be a nice combination. For new stuff try getting unknown originals from Universities/ Colleges - students are always putting on exhibitions. For old stuff - cat boot sales and e-bay.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Student art is a good idea. I am a student at uni so should probably go visit the art department and have a looksie!

Yes, mixing styles was what I was intending. I'm looking at a wide range of styles and content to suit my varying moods and outlook on life.

I've picked up a copy of "Hope" by George Frederick Watts as I have always loved it, and realy like the concept of it (I view it as a peice with a positive outlook!)

Am also looking at William Blake for something with religious iconography.

Struggling with modern and more unusual art tho. Maybe something impressionisty...?

As an aside, this topic is doing a marvellous job of distracting me from the frankly hideous amount of work I have for Monday morning.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson