Constructing a Wheel building database

2Phat4Rapha
2Phat4Rapha Posts: 238
edited October 2009 in The bottom bracket
I started off just being curious about whether I could construct a spoke length calculator in a DBMS (FileMaker Pro if you know it). That's working fine now although I've got some logic to implement for deciding which wheel or both. Project creep has me planning an invoicing function, production of purchase orders for the components, a quarterly report for VAT purposes and perhaps an export routine for transferring data to an accounts system. So much for curiosity!

What I'm struggling with though is the building of a library of specs for hubs, rims and spokes. I have started it but boy is it tedious 'farming' info from manufacturer's web sites. So to get me started I wondered if I could pick your expert brains as to who your top say 5 or so manufacturers / models might be so I can concentrate on them for starters

Hubs?
Rims?
Spokes?

When it's finished, or at least ready for public testing I could produce a 'run-time' version which will run stand alone on both Macs and ... now what's that other one called ...

Many thanks
I may be a minority of one but that doesn't prevent me from being right.
http://www.dalynchi.com