Shimano Flight Deck Gear indicator problem

dombo6
dombo6 Posts: 582
edited October 2009 in Workshop
Wonder if anyone can advise/help. I have a Flight deck wireless computer. Bike set up is 52/39/30 with a standard 12-25 cassette at back. Right hand gear indicator works fine ie which rear cog I'm in, but the left one is stuck on the inner chain ring. I have done all the recommended tricks as per the manual ie moved the sensor pad, even stuck a tiny plastic shim behind it to keep it in conatct with the wired receiver that goes to the head unit, but to no avail.
would welcome any advice, as without this the virtual cadence doesn't work and I may as well have got a basic Cateye.

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Had this, or similar, when I had Flightdeck on my bike. To cure It I took the sensor off the shifter and cleaned the contacts with fine wet n dry then wiped clean with some tissue. Seemed to work for me. Never really liked the virtual cadence as I could freewheel and be shown to be pedalling at the same time.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    People actually use Flight Deck? :)
  • dombo6
    Jamey wrote:

Yeah, beginning to wish I wasn't one of them.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    redvee wrote:
    Never really liked the virtual cadence as I could freewheel and be shown to be pedalling at the same time.

So, with a virtual cadence function you're not sure whether you're pedaling or not.
    Sorry, no offence intended. It's just that my old brain and sarcastic ways just couldn't let that one pass. :wink:
  • dennisn
    Jamey wrote:

Just out of curiosity - why not??? Works just fine for me. No messing around with pedal
    and frame mounted "stuff". Not to mention no wires anywhere. Well, there are wires running from each shifter to the computer, but they're under the bar tape. What's not to like????
  • dombo6
    Don't get me wrong. when it works, I love it - the hood buttons, cadence, stopwatch etc. BUT, mine will suddenly cut out if I hit a bump, ie speed will go to zero and the gear display disappear, the chainring gear indicator no longer works properly, and for a piece of kit costing £70 that is unacceptable.
  • dennisn
    Dombo6 wrote:
    Don't get me wrong. when it works, I love it - the hood buttons, cadence, stopwatch etc. BUT, mine will suddenly cut out if I hit a bump, ie speed will go to zero and the gear display disappear, the chainring gear indicator no longer works properly, and for a piece of kit costing £70 that is unacceptable.

To be honest, the only time I have problems with mine is when the fork sending unit gets
    to far away from the spoke magnet(bump or whatever) or the sending unit is not pointed at the computer head. Sorry, but never had a problem with the gear indicators.
  • dombo6
    Must be a loose wire inside the lever. Or just me :(
  • Yeah, check all connections and clean the mating surfaces.

I've used mine for over 18 months now; it's a great piece of kit and very reliabile once set up properly. In the early days I accidentally zeroed the timer a few times by pressing the buttons without thinking about it, but now I keep it on Cadence and Speed mode, so momentarily touching either button won't affect it. Scrolling through the modes becomes second nature.

Virtual cadence is actually quite useful, especially after a climb when you might be descending in the wrong gear, you can select an appropriate gear easily when preparing to pedal again.