Race radio ban canned

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited November 2009 in Pro race
Race radio's will not be banned until at least 2012

No reasons given.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• That went well. :oops:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Remember the days when pro racers would attack on their own even if they were wearing Yellow and the course wasn't suited to loan breaks.?

Years ago Fignon and Hinault --- no radios in those days just natural talent and an instinct of when to attack. I can't help thinking that watching the TDF in those days (pre radios) were more interesting.

http://www.huliq.com/8037/87327/cycling ... rn-panache
  • northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    I can't help thinking that watching the TDF in those days (pre radios) were more interesting.

thats because IT WAS !!
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Remember the days when pro racers would attack on their own even if they were wearing Yellow and the course wasn't suited to loan breaks.?

Years ago Fignon and Hinault --- no radios in those days just natural talent and an instinct of when to attack. I can't help thinking that watching the TDF in those days (pre radios) were more interesting.

http://www.huliq.com/8037/87327/cycling ... rn-panache

Ah the good old days, like when Hinault would go to the front and say "Monsieur Le Blaireau is tired today - there will be no racing".... ?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    And all those other days when he'd attack, and attack and attack and when riders would have to trust to their ability and their tactical nous and the chalkboard.

Rather watch that than the Milan fiasco in last year's Giro
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    The Milan stage was indeed a fiasco - I'd rather watch the fianl mountain stage of the 2005 Giro, or the TdF stage to Luz Ardiden in 2003, or the stage to Les Deux Alpes in the 1998 TdF, or this year's Milan - San Remo, or the men's Worlds road race this year, etc.

The sport has changed immeasurably since the halcyon days of the early-to-mid 80s, and to ascribe the difference to radios is not correct, in my opinion - we still get exciting racing wih them, after all.

Perahps it's a product of the internet age where every day's racing is recorded and dissected, so the rubbish ones are there for all to see, whereas only the standout days from the early 80s are remembered.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Oh, there's no doubt we often have rose tinted specs about the halcyon days - am curious as to what you ascribe the change in racing tactics if not radios, though
  • iainf72
    micron wrote:
    Oh, there's no doubt we often have rose tinted specs about the halcyon days - am curious as to what you ascribe the change in racing tactics if not radios, though

Blood doping and the more TV coverage have had more of an impact on race tactics than radio.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    It's impossible to prove but my money would be on radios having had far more effect than blood doping in terms of tactics. The main affect of doping is just increasing the speed of the peloton. Not sure about TV coverage - without radios the DS can see what's happening but there is going to be a delay relaying that to the riders so again my guess is that radios are the key.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Why repeatedly attack when you can make one proper attack stick?

See Gilbert in the Tour of Lombardy and Contador at various times in the Tour.

Racing's changed. To win at a GC it's all about calcualting your effort.

It's even getting that way in the classics, though not always thank god.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Yet another gutless decision by the men in charge! Radio's will be here forever now. If they didn't ban them now, then they never will.
  • iainf72
    It's impossible to prove but my money would be on radios having had far more effect than blood doping in terms of tactics. The main affect of doping is just increasing the speed of the peloton. Not sure about TV coverage - without radios the DS can see what's happening but there is going to be a delay relaying that to the riders so again my guess is that radios are the key.

http://53x12.com/do/show?page=article&id=58

I think he raises very interesting points. You don't see long breaks by GC guys through the mountains now, rather waiting to cane it for 30 minutes

Before radios came along, sprinters teams would pull back escapes at just the right distance to the end.

People go eyeballs out from the start now but there is a lot more TV. In the interview with Hampsten at Competitor Radio he says they used to ride piano until the telly coverage started and it would speed up.
  • lucybears
    lucybears Posts: 366
    edited November 2009
    iainf72 wrote:

No reasons given.

http://www.sykling.no/files/%7B9B4FF621 ... 28B%7D.pdf

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-beg ... _headlines
    interview.cyclingfever.com
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    would be cool if riders could get the info and data streamed to their GPS or bike computers also
    cartoon.jpg
  • iainf72 wrote:

No reasons given.

If you're going to make a statement, back it up. Was always taught this at uni.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 wrote:

No reasons given.

If you're going to make a statement, back it up. Was always taught this at uni.

I posted that at the end of October when the news first trickled out. Give a guy a break
  • I can't help thinking that watching the TDF in those days (pre radios) were more interesting.

thats because IT WAS !!
    ahh the good old days - when everything was made of wood and held together with brass screws, when teenagers had respect for policemen, when there was no litter yadda yadda