WWI article made me sad...

pottssteve
pottssteve Posts: 4,069
edited October 2009 in The bottom bracket
Yo!

Just finished reading the article on cyclists who died during WWI in November's Procycling. What struck me was the randomness of their deaths; a couple of 'plane crashes, pneumonia, and Petit Breton's collision with a horse and cart whilst driving. What a waste of life and talent.

It made me realise, yet again, that nobody knows how long they have left, and that all the everyday stuff we have to do to get by (work, commute, ironing, cleaning the toilet etc.) is just wasted time.

Carpe diem, ladies and gentlemen!
Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs

Comments

• pottssteve wrote:
    Yo!

Just finished reading the article on cyclists who died during WWI in November's Procycling. What struck me was the randomness of their deaths; a couple of 'plane crashes, pneumonia, and Petit Breton's collision with a horse and cart whilst driving. What a waste of life and talent.

It made me realise, yet again, that nobody knows how long they have left, and that all the everyday stuff we have to do to get by (work, commute, ironing, cleaning the toilet etc.) is just wasted time.

I'd love to have the "dosh" to be able to afford to live everyday as if it were my last, 'cos one day I'll be right.

Friend of mine says "Live your life in such a fashion even the undertaker will be sad at your passing". And his profession........................................undertaker.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • pottssteve wrote:
    Yo!

My commute is the best part of my day.
  • pottssteve
    snailracer wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:
    Yo!

My commute is the best part of my day.[/quote]

Agreed - if it's by bike :) Then it's not wasted time.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    pottssteve wrote:
    Yo!

I'm honestly not having a go steve, but I think your sentiment just focussed on cyclists might be a bit narrow!!!!!! (I know , I know, this is cycle forum...... :) )

spent my summer holiday in france, near the Somme battlefields, and the number of cemeteries is unbelievable....
  • pottssteve
    PBo wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:
    Yo!

I'm honestly not having a go steve, but I think your sentiment just focussed on cyclists might be a bit narrow!!!!!! (I know , I know, this is cycle forum...... :) )

spent my summer holiday in france, near the Somme battlefields, and the number of cemeteries is unbelievable....

PBo,
    I would agree with you entirely. My point was that the article reminded me not to waste what time I have. I in no way meant to suggest that cyclists were in some way a special case.
  • Thats why when we do the London to Paris with the trip organised off bike radar we'll be taking in one of the war grave cemetaries on the second day as we cycle from Calais to Amiens. Directly through The Somme countryside. It'll be a very poignant day for us all I'm sure.

LEST WE FORGET :(
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    pottssteve wrote:
    PBo wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:
    Yo!

PBo,
    I would agree with you entirely. My point was that the article reminded me not to waste what time I have. I in no way meant to suggest that cyclists were in some way a special case.

Aaaahhhh I see what you are saying - didn't mean to have a pop at you mate