Contador responds!

donrhummy
donrhummy Posts: 2,329
edited October 2009 in Pro race
http://af.reuters.com/article/sportsNew ... LV20091023
"After all these months of waiting, I am very calm at last," Contador said in a statement.

"My lawyers are the ones who will say whether it is possible to break my contract or not. I hope to know their opinion as soon as possible, as well as experts from the UCI, in order to make a decision.

"Meanwhile, I keep working as before, focused exclusively on my training."

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Oh. No.

He's said calm race fans!!!!

CALM = TRANQUILO!
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    iainf72 wrote:
    Oh. No.

He's said calm race fans!!!!

CALM = TRANQUILO!

:lol:
  • donrhummy
    UCI Confirmed it: he's free to leave!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-con ... ave-astana
    "If Alberto Contador leaves tomorrow, we can only say that this option would be complying with our rules," confirmed UCI spokesman Enrico Carpani to Cyclingnews on Friday evening.
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Which team will get him though?
  • donrhummy wrote:
    UCI Confirmed it: he's free to leave!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-con ... ave-astana
    "If Alberto Contador leaves tomorrow, we can only say that this option would be complying with our rules," confirmed UCI spokesman Enrico Carpani to Cyclingnews on Friday evening.

Damn, that means that he's stuck. :oops: :wink:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • iainf72
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    My mind is now officially boggled.

Other possible Telegraph headlines: "Jan Moir free to join Gay and Lesbian Alliance." "Nick Griffin considers converting to Islam." "Gordon Brown could win popularity contest."
  • donrhummy
    Very odd that they even knew enough to pay attention to the situation but had no idea he hates Lance AND Johan!
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Strange article in that the story makes no reference to what the headline says, ie doesnt mention the prospect of him going to Radio Shack but mentions other teams instead.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    iainf72 wrote:

The Torygraph will use any excuse to get the words "Lance" and "Armstrong" into a story...

Other unlikely headlines: "Lib Dems lead in opinion polls", "Postal worker's strike gets Government backing", "British rail system the best in the world". :)
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • mercsport
    mercsport Posts: 664
    I wouldn't be too shocked : " By Telegraph staff " says it all.
    After the culling of staff these last couple of years, there are but a fraction of the regular sports writers left on the Telegraph, or indeed, the old regulars within the main rag itself. Even the flagrant cut n'paste jobs, as here, normally carry a fictitious writers's by-line.
    Not so long ago, Phil Liggett was the lad that kept us all informed on matters cycling in the Telegraph. But, no more it seems.
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"
  • northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    iainf72 wrote:

created by someone who knows nothing about cycling - and also must have been under a rock last july
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Strange article in that the story makes no reference to what the headline says, ie doesnt mention the prospect of him going to Radio Shack but mentions other teams instead.

Exactly. I worked on a newspaper briefly, and that is how it works. If a piece is written at last minute, it is passed on to the night team who edit and spell-check it and have to come up with a headline. They often know nothing of the topic. I guess some general sports section junior had to invent a headline, vaguely knew about Contador riding with Armstrong at some point, et voila, disaster.
  • iainf72
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/cycling/2009/10 ... adora.html

If he went to Liquigas they'd be an immense team!
  • I'm guessing like FJS says someone on the night shift came up with a random headline off the top of their head, knowing very little (Beyond Tour de France and Lance and Armstrong) about cycling.

The more cynical would say that "Lance Armstrong" will get the story picked up in far more google searches and news aggregator things, resulting in more hits on the website. All of us just clicked that link, when normally none of us would have bothered getting cycling news from there...
  • iainf72
    In the AS article, Contador has said he prefer to ride for a Spanish team

This makes me think he'll end up at Caisse or Astana next year
  • iainf72
    http://bicycling.com/blogs/boulderrepor ... rs-future/

Now, is it me, or does Vaughters appear not that interested....
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    FJS wrote:

Exactly. I worked on a newspaper briefly, and that is how it works. If a piece is written at last minute, it is passed on to the night team who edit and spell-check it and have to come up with a headline. They often know nothing of the topic. I guess some general sports section junior had to invent a headline, vaguely knew about Contador riding with Armstrong at some point, et voila, disaster.

You sure your right and that it's not just a clever trick to grab your attention.
    Well they certainly did that and blew your socks off at the same time. ????
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Bertie saying at the Velo D'Or awards that he is leaning towards Caisse:

"It seems like I will have the opportunity to change teams. I want to have a team that is 100 percent behind me. Caisse d'Epargne is the biggest option I have. There's a huge interest from them, but it's not easy to come to an agreement."
  • iainf72
    According to what I've read, the Caisse thing is as good as done.

Which means he'll go to Katusha or something leftfield like that
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    edited October 2009
    I said last July he'd go to Caisse eventually. What he wants are team-mates he trusts, not Russian loadsamoney.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Apparently stopping at Astana for 2010
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • iainf72
    Yup. Just read it too.
  • Any links there, guys?
  • iainf72
  • Should have know, shouldn't I?
    The Hindustani Times sister paper? :wink:

Still, it's from that reliable Kazakh source and not the man himself.....
  • Meh.............I want to hear it from Fran.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Kazak deputy said it...it must be incorrect!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    The more cynical would say that "Lance Armstrong" will get the story picked up in far more google searches and news aggregator things, resulting in more hits on the website. All of us just clicked that link, when normally none of us would have bothered getting cycling news from there...

This is why - esp in US market
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Talking to Spanish newspaper AS, he says the options are Caisse, Garmin and Astana.
    Contador is the Greatest