Buying a bike (that they will grow into)

sellisnba
sellisnba Posts: 181
edited October 2009 in Family & kids cycling forum
Hi people
I'm looking to help out my brother with buying a bike for his 8 year old daughter. She is around 4ft 6, just been down to a certain bike shop in london where we had a look at some specialized kids bikes.
Try my niece out on a hotrock 24" wheeled bike, she seemed comfy although a little stretched in the arms. I felt it was a good size for her because she had her feet flat on the ground with the saddle raised only a little. The person in the shop was adament that this was to small, he then proceeded to put her on a 13" myka wsd, witch in my opinion was huge on her. The saddle was right down and she was barely on her tiptoes, checked the sizing guide on the spesh website, a 13" is designed for a women of 5ft and upwards.

The guy in the shop said don't worry she will grow in to it and thenseemed really annoyed that we didn't buy.Has anyone else had a problem like this and any solution?

After all you you don't go into a shop and buy an adult helmet and then hope the child grows into it. There is no promise that my niece will reach 5ft her mum is quite short.

Any help on this would useful.
Cheers

Comments

• fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    If your niece can ride properly and safely already, she should not need to have a foot flat on the ground when on the saddle.

The correct technique for starting and stopping a bike in full control and safety demands to not be on the saddle when putting a foot down.

Whether this means the first bike was going to be big enough for when she grows or not, I don't know.

But the ability to put a foot flat to the floor sitting on a saddle is surely not a good indicator of fit.
  • Mike Healey
    Mike Healey Posts: 1,023
    Buying a bike which is a little big for her would be reasonably ok, but one which has her on tiptoes with the saddle at its lowest is definitely too big.

I've had kids at our club who ride with their hands almost at head level because the bike was way too large and it makes it difficult to develop their skill levels beyond the basics.

I'm afraid the shop chappie was wrong. Buying a bike that's around the right size is always a bit of a gamble, since they might have a growth spurt, but most have some growing room in them.

Go on your gut instinct on how comfortable she looks on a particular bike and flash the plastic.
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I think the 13" is probably too big, but if she should not be able to sit on the seat with both feet on the floor if a bike is properly fitted and the saddle is at the right height. She should be able to get one foot on the floor whilst leaning.
  • 24" for sure. My son is the same height, just turned 8, just got him a 24" wheel Kula 2-4. Seat is about 3" up, stem set at lowest position. He'll get at least 2 years out of this. He's had it a month now and is hopping, wheelying, endo-ing, and jumping around nicely on it, which he wouldn't be able to do on a 26" wheel bike without doing his nuts in!
    The Hotrock 24 from Spesh is a great bike too.