Hope Vision 1 light. How do the settings work ?

afcbian
afcbian Posts: 424
edited October 2009 in MTB general
I have bought a Hope Vision 1 light 2nd hand with no instructions.
I know it has 4 settings but it just seems to switch on and off.
I can't find the instructions on the internet or any advice on here.
The instructions on Hope's website is.........The light has a simple on/off/mode switch on the
back. This has a new cycle programme which turns the light on in ‘low’ mode and cycles through to the higher settings. This gives better control of the light in tricky situations
when more light is needed quickly.
I am probably being a bit thick but has anyone got one of these and can they tell me how to switch from low to med to high etc etc. as I can't work it out.
Thanks
I ride therefore I am

Comments

• If it's the same as this

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=24391

then here we go:

A quick click on the button cycles through the modes (low, med, high, bit more, flashing) and keeping your finger pushed down turns the light on / off.

At least that's how mine works.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Yep - need to push it for about 2+ seconds to turn it off.

A brilliant light and great VFM.
  • afcbian
    Yes that's the one.
    when the light is off, you press once to switch on, if you press it again it simply switches off rather than cycle through the settings. Press it once more it switches on again.
    I ride therefore I am
  • Sounds as if something has gone a bit haywire with the internals.

Sorry, got no advice on how to fix it.
  • Mork77
    Mork77 Posts: 8
    Might be a silly question but have you tried it in the pitch dark and with fully charged batteries? when I first got mine I didnt appreciate how bright it got on the highest level until it was fully dark.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I just bought one and i`m very surprised at how narrow the beam is, it would be useless offroad without another light. Also, a word of advice to anyone who wants to carry spare batteries but doesn`t want the hassle of taking them all out mid-ride, you can buy their battery holder for £4 but don`t because generic ones cost 35p and work fine with packing foam stuck on the back with electrical tape. That`s my tip of the day.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Mork77
    Do you have a link to where you can buy them?
  • Surf-Matt
    I think it's a great light and plenty broad enough beamed for me. Add a cheap Tesco head mounted torch and you've got a great off road set up!

Most decent stores sell them.
  • Surf-Matt wrote:
    I think it's a great light and plenty broad enough beamed for me. Add a cheap Tesco head mounted torch and you've got a great off road set up!

Most decent stores sell them.

Yours must be different to everyone elses. Mine has a very pointy beam. A bit too heavy and tall for a helmet light but great as a bar mounted light on the road.
    Parkpre Pro Elite 94 - Parkpre Pro Image 94 - Parkpre Team 925 SS 94 - Parkpre Pro 825 95 - Marin Mount Vision Hotrod 97 - Specialized Rockhopper 98 - Trek SL1000 07 - Rocky Mountain Vertex 50 09
  • I got one to see if it was bright enough on it's own for trail use. Few weeks later got another one for Xmas which now stays on the helmet. Admittedly the first few times it was up there my neck muscles ached like crazy the day after.

Plenty bright enough for me going round the local woods.
  • afcbian
    Will try with brand new batteries tonight and see how it goes. Just didn't seem to work as i thought it should.
    I am using it as a suplimentry light on my helmet with my front bars mounted halogen setup. Will switch to LED eventually when funds permit.
    I ride therefore I am
  • antfly
    It has a 4 degree beam which is narrower than any other spot light, the next lowest i`ve seen is 6 degrees. Should be ok with my fenix p3d on my helmet.
    Here is a link to battery holders http://www.component-shop.co.uk/
    although you have to spend a quid so you could get 3 if you really wanted to.
  • Mork77
    Excellent, thanks for the link, i had though its a bit tight getting the batteries out of the holder and didnt fancey trying it with cold hands.
  • antfly
    I can`t get them out without a screwdriver to lever them out. I know of someone who broke his battery holder and Hope sent him a new one but I made the mistake of telling them I wanted one to carry spares and they told me to order one for £4 from one of their dealers, plus delivery. If you want to tell a little white lie they might just send you one. It might sound petty but £4 is just a bleedin rip-off .
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    Having compared the beam to one on a fenix (& another 'torch'), I find it is a fair bit wider.

The Hope 1 is great for road work and OK off road (better when used with helmet light).

It is too heavy to use as a helmet light itself though.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • antfly
    Do you mean your hope beam is wider, if so which fenix do you have?
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    Don't have a Fenix, a mate did - 2LD or something - & the Hope is wider
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • antfly
    I find that hard to believe, try shining them against a close wall together, the fenix I have is much wider than the hope.
  • Panter
    Panter Posts: 299
    Just another point with the Hope Vision 1, if your batteries die off, the light just goes out. It doesn't dim, there's no warning, it just goes out.
    It may be what yours is doing, if you turn one on with lifeless batteries it will just light up briefly and then go off again.

I run 2 for night rides and find them brilliant lights (no pun intended :wink: )

Thanks for the battery case link BTW, it's a bit of a faff swapping battereis with wet and cold hands, carrying a spare pre-loaded case will be a big help 8)

Cheers,

Chris :)
    Racing snakes. It's not big, and it's not clever ;)
  • Panter
    Antfly, sorry, having a bit of a thicky morning :oops:

What searchword will bring up the battery holders, I only seem to be able to find pre-packaged battery packs?

Cheers

• antfly
    Panter go on the link I posted then batteries and then boxes and adapters. http://www.component-shop.co.uk/

Last night my new uniross 2700 mah batteries ran out and the light went off so I fully charged them again and timed the light and it only lasted 28 minutes so I reckon mine`s going back.
  • Panter
    Got it, thank you 8)

28 mins does sound a little short, I get the best part of 4 Hours out of my Vapex 2900mah's.

Cheers,

• afcbian
    Tried new batteries and guess what............................it works just fine.
    The light is brilliant white and I have to say is much better than I thought it would be.
    Not too focused, reasonable spread and a great supplimentory light.
    Thanks for all the advice
    I ride therefore I am
  • Panter
    Superb 8)
  • Surf-Matt
    I used 2850mAh Ansmann batteries and have a decent charger - well worth it. THe light lasts AGES!