Painting a Frame

rsrider09
rsrider09 Posts: 65
edited October 2009 in MTB general
Hi

does anyone know of a good company to paint and clearcoat a bike frame?
i have seen a few out there on the interweb but its obviously better to ask and get word of mouth.

if you've had yours done, could you let me know and/or even post a pic so i can see the quality.

Muchly appreciated.

Stru

Comments

• BurtonM
    BurtonM Posts: 425
    Lots of paint companie will powdercoat wont they? Go local, youll get it cheaper aswell
    yeehaamcgee wrote:

That's like saying i want a door for my car that doesn't meet the roof, because I once had the wind blow it shut when I was getting in, and I had my head squished between, well, the door and the roof.
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    i did mine myself for a tenner,

gonna redo it again soon as stones and my mates bike rack have had a go at it, gonna go for a really lairy colour this time

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • I had a frame done by Argos in Bristol in 2007. I was really happy with the service and they did a great job.

The frame was originally a matt black and was refurbished in a metallic with lacquer over. I think it chipped a little easier afterwards, but I think that was due to paint type rather than the quality of their painting.

I think it cost about £150 all-in on a full suspension Orange 5 frame. That feels ok to me, given that a new frame would cost £1,200+.
    Cotic Soul - Fox 32 RLC forks, XTR go, XT stop, Hope / DT wheels, Thomson / Easton / Hope finishing

Cotic >X< - 105 and SLX go, Avid stop, XT / Mavic disc wheels and Easton finishing
  • Turrican
    Turrican Posts: 755
    Most car spray and body shop will do it for yer as i had mine done in one and did good job sanding down the frame and painting it silver then putting decals on and then the laquer then finished but its not that cheap i paid in total 115 for all the work but make sure the frame is stripped even the BB and headset out.
    I don't have a bike addiction problem.....bikes seems to have a problem with me.....it just can't seem to stay on.

http://www.moredirt.co.uk/users/FlowRideR661/
    http://flowrider661.pinkbike.com/