What happened here then .....

crrazzzyy
crrazzzyy Posts: 38
edited October 2009 in MTB general
What a morning i had on me way to work this morning, first i came off and knackered me muscles in me leg Grrrrrrr, then 10 mins later crossing a road and BANG me rear tube exploded im glad i wasnt flying down a hill at the time ........ me spare tube had a hole in it then fixed that and 4 mins away from work me tyre was flat again Arrrghhh, so anyway me question is what the hell caused me tube to explode heres a piccy of it .........
tuberesize.jpg[/img]

Comments

• jpstar
    jpstar Posts: 561
    Maybe a weakness? Was it an old tube?
    Over inflation? What PSI was it?
    Hows the tyre looking?
  • That looks like an overpressure to me, or it's a flaw in the tube wall
  • Hmmm was a new tube 45 psi is that over inflation ??? has been in for about a month at the same pressure :shock: tyre is fine !!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    did you have one crank arm longer than the other? :wink:
  • A few years ago I went through a period where I could coma back to the bike and find the tyre flat with the tube looking much like this. It once happened just after I had left the house.
    I couldn't work it out, blaming poor tubes, until one day in the garage I heard a strange noise. I looked about and found the tyre being forced off the rim with the tube gradually being exposed. Once enough of the tube was poking out it of course was pinched twixt rim and tyre and so burst. I still have no idea what the cause was.
  • bigmart
    bigmart Posts: 87
    was it a specialized tube?

I had one blow up in my hand as I was fitting the wheel back in and it was only at 40psi
  • stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    bigmart wrote:
    was it a specialized tube?

I had one blow up in my hand as I was fitting the wheel back in and it was only at 40psi

If part of the tyre bead isnt seated properly and/or it slips over the rim you get a nice explosion even if not overpressured ... Done it once in my garage :shock: Ouch :evil:
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    check the tyre bead aswell cos i've had a couple come through the sidewall and the tyre has let go of the rim before

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    not as loud as the tubeless tyre that blew off when i was seating it at 60psi the other day, right next to my desk...
  • bigmart
    bigmart Posts: 87
    it worries me that I had to get 110 psi in the other week to get the tyre to seat

I hid round the corner of the shed with the pump

I got continental explorers with the anti puncture side walls and they are propper hard to get on and even harder to seat