software for mountain biking video

fourcrossjohn
fourcrossjohn Posts: 2,500
edited October 2009 in MTB general
what free sodtware exist that is similar to movie maker i can use?

will be making mountain biking movies as a new hobbie....

Comments

• mac or pc?

if it's mac you have stuff built in like iDVD or iMovie, which will kinda work, but pc, not sure.

basically if it's your new hobby, i'd suggest investing in some decent software... afaik most free stuff won't give you the effect you want, mostly because the free stuff takes a lot more user knowledge to work than the 'designed'interfaces that non freeware programmes use.

if you want something that is relatively undustry standard, get a demo of AfterFX by Adobe. Admittedly it would be like getting scott genius as your first bike, but you'd use it, and you wouldn't outgrow it's capabilities as you learn more.

i think mbr had a useful section on making films this month...it might have been mbuk but probably mbr.
  • ok cheers will be for vista but may be used occasionaly on my netbook on location

will try that cheers
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    After effects is not what you need. After effects is mostly for video effects manupulation.
    Premiere, on the other hand is video editing software, which I think is what you're after.
    But my money would go on Vegas Home studio by sony. It's only like 40 quid, but is excellent.
  • cureenlt free stuff to try out would be nice
  • Anonymous
    well, try a demo of them.
    Have you banged your head or something? It's getting damned near impossible to decipher your posts.

Oh, and video editing on a netbook? good luck. those things are hideously underpowered for almost all video editing tasks.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    There is nothing like movie maker, or as intuitive and easy to use, that's free / open source. You've got a learning curve with the free / open source stuff if you're used to Windows Movie Maker and you might well find it a steep learning curve. Sound advice forking out for something like adobe premiere and not on a netbook.
  • also cameras?

i need a camera that can tke 720p min and slow mo if possible and being able to take pictures on it would be good, no more than £400
  • http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electro ... type=genre

what you all think

stills and video up to 1080p, hdmi support, sd card reader ect ect....
  • Anonymous
    There is nothing like movie maker, or as intuitive and easy to use, that's free / open source. You've got a learning curve with the free / open source stuff if you're used to Windows Movie Maker and you might well find it a steep learning curve. Sound advice forking out for something like adobe premiere and not on a netbook.
    What do you think of the new movie makes, sans-timeline?
    Personally I think it's a bag o' shite. :(
  • XxxBFGxxX
    XxxBFGxxX Posts: 1,355
    also cameras?

i need a camera that can tke 720p min and slow mo if possible and being able to take pictures on it would be good, no more than £400

contour HD may be wat ya looking for mate.
  • i have decided to scrap this

spend more money on the bike and steal my sis's camera :twisted:
  • blister pus
    What do you think of the new movie makes, sans-timeline?
    Personally I think it's a bag o' shite. :(

Windows Live team blog - The future of Windows Live Movie Maker
    Comments policy - Unfortunately, we’ve had to temporarily block reader comments due to the volume of recent comments that violate our code of conduct. If you have feedback, now as always, we're listening. Please use the following links to send us comments or get help.

Sez it all. :lol:

So they essentially dumbed it down into a glorified "quick and easy" "slide show" program. But rest assured, they got the message loud and clear - watch this space. :lol:
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    final cut is bset for editing, all the pro's use it and so do i and its great
  • Anonymous
    lawman wrote:
    Every single professional I know, uses Avid. a BIG avid system.
  • Anonymous
    Windows Live team blog - The future of Windows Live Movie Maker
    Comments policy - Unfortunately, we’ve had to temporarily block reader comments due to the volume of recent comments that violate our code of conduct. If you have feedback, now as always, we're listening. Please use the following links to send us comments or get help.

Sez it all. :lol:

So they essentially dumbed it down into a glorified "quick and easy" "slide show" program. But rest assured, they got the message loud and clear - watch this space. :lol:
    ah, good!
    It's strange how MS has started actually properly listening to it's users recently.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    i have decided to scrap this

spend more money on the bike and steal my sis's camera :twisted:

Good shout. Looks like the smart money is on waiting for the Hero HD anyway just now. Which naturally was announced about 2 days after I bought my Hero Wide :(
    Uncompromising extremist
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Software I use for editing video clips etc includes

VirtualDub for non-mpeg clips
    VirtualDunMod for Mpeg clips though I could use the latter for both
    Both opensource from sourceforge

Videoredo for mpegs again but not opensource/free.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • blister pus
    ah, good!
    It's strange how MS has started actually properly listening to it's users recently.
    you got me thinking: Windows Movie Maker 2.6 for Vista ...better than a kick in the throat till things change.
  • lawman wrote:
    Every single professional I know, uses Avid. a BIG avid system.

Mmm...Avid... It's what we use, and it's brilliant. Chuffing expensive though...
    Old hockey players never die - they just smell that way...