Switchbacks, berms and confidence

boogercj
boogercj Posts: 316
edited October 2009 in MTB general
Right, I hope the technically sound riders can help me out here.

Up at QE park there is a section of switchbacks that snake down a hill with a berm at each corner. (those that ride up there regularly should know where I mean).

I've seen a couple of folks tear down them quite fast, but I seem to have trouble judging the speed for the berms and slow down a lot, especially for the tight ones. I have trouble carrying any kind of speed through the corners.

Are there any tips for taking berms, especially tight ones with speed and confidence?

Comments

• cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    there are a couple of good videos on the front page here....

mtb ride technique section...for berms and switchbacks....
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • boogercj
    boogercj Posts: 316
    edited October 2009
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    I'm not by any means an expert.

But I found the best way to do them is technique first, speed second.

Watch the vids and get the technique NAILED then, slowly (or quickly) increse the pace.

You might feel a bit daft going around at a crawl, but as long as you get the lines right it doesn't matter. Also set your speed, then go in. You simply don't want to be anywhere near the brakes mid berm.
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    its all in the hips man, and dont brake around corners
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • XxxBFGxxX
    XxxBFGxxX Posts: 1,355
    boogercj wrote:
    Right, I hope the technically sound riders can help me out here.

Up at QE park there is a section of switchbacks that snake down a hill with a berm at each corner. (those that ride up there regularly should know where I mean).

I've seen a couple of folks tear down them quite fast, but I seem to have trouble judging the speed for the berms and slow down a lot, especially for the tight ones. I have trouble carrying any kind of speed through the corners.

Are there any tips for taking berms, especially tight ones with speed and confidence?

i know QE well i just broke my coiller bone up there a week ago lmfao.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    what the hell is a coiler bone? is that the bone that gives you the spring in your step?
  • what the hell is a coiler bone? is that the bone that gives you the spring in your step?

It's the alternative term for the crossbar on the Kona Coiler..
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    he must type with a new york drawl.
  • chuckd
    chuckd Posts: 105
    boogercj wrote:

Can anyone get this or any videos to load? All I get is a black square with nothing in it.
  • ste0649
    ste0649 Posts: 84
    Same here, just a black screen, maybe removed!
    Scott Speedster S40
    Scott Spark 29 Elite
  • XxxBFGxxX
    XxxBFGxxX Posts: 1,355
    what the hell is a coiler bone? is that the bone that gives you the spring in your step?

sorry chap i am trying to type left handed and finding it hard. i ment coller bone. lmfao
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    There's nothing insane at QE. Just practice loads. Once you've been somewhere like the Alps, then you will know what a real switchback is like.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    For berms, just remember you can do them faster than you're doing them, unless you're doing them pretty damn fast. Ironically, the more committed you go into the berm, the easier it is, assuming it's a well made berm at least- you get hooked in and spat out the exit. Not that I'm great at them, I still find them a bit weird but I'm getting better.

It's quite funny though, if you look at the berms at most trail centres, they're either covered in braking bumps before and in the middle, ie people slamming on the brakes IN the turn, or alternatively they're smooth as anything down the bottom because everyone trundles round there, and lumpy as hell up top as hardly anyone actually rides them.
    XxxBFGxxX wrote:
    sorry chap i am trying to type left handed and finding it hard

:shock:
    Uncompromising extremist