race vs dual-purpose - spd shoes

ross_mcculloch
ross_mcculloch Posts: 478
edited November 2009 in MTB beginners
I'm new to SPDs and recently bought these 'race' style SPD shoes: 24872.jpg

I'm finding it tricky getting clipped in and I think it's partly down to the fairly slidey plastic sole you find on 'race' style SPD shoes. Would it find it much easier clipping in with a dual purpose shoe like these below?

22334.Jpg

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    no, it's generally easier on the racier shoes, the cleat is more exposed.

Which pedals?
  • shimano M520 SPDs...perhaps I'd have been better off starting on the Shimano SPDs with the plastic cage around them?
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    Some shoes do seem to be easier than others, but unless you're actually feeling the sole rub against the pedal then I doubt that's the problem.

Also, pedals without a cage should be easier to clip into as the mechanism is more exposed...

Are the cleats in the right place? If you put the show down, you'll notive that the sole is slightly curved - the cleat usually sits towards the bottom of that curve - near level with the ball of the foot.
    It should also be angled inwards slightly so that when your feet are hanging down they're pointing dead straight. (You'll notice your feet don't rest exactly straight so you want them to be slightly 'heel in' when they're on the pedal to avoid too much knee strain.

All of the above is in my experience btw - your legs might be on at funny angles in which case that won't necessarily hold true.

To be honest though, if the cleats are in the right place, you probably just need to practice with them...
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    As above^^^

on the fore aft position, you basically want the cleat below the widest part of your foot. Rotation so your cleats are straight when your feet are hanging free easy way to see is to sit on a table with a mirror on the floor.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have M520's as my first SPD and hav no probs clipping in/out using Spesh Tahoe 'MTB' shoes, just slide the foot forward until you feel the clip bite and push down, automatic now 85% of the time (using them for 1 month)

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    could also try turning the binding screws out a couple of clicks to make them easier to click in and out.
  • Thanks for the tips everyone, really helpful.