Kona lava dome 1995 - new project

Steve-o41
Steve-o41 Posts: 19
edited October 2009 in MTB general
Hi to 1 and all.

i have a Kona Lava Dome (1995) which has been stripped down and needs rebuilding into a good usable MTB.

1st and formost the forks & headset.

i had ridgid forks approx 160-180mm would now like Suspension forks.
the radius of the old forks were just under 1"1/8 so i plan to change to an Aheadset system

Q: if i get new new suspension forks and the length of the thread part is too much can i cut it down??? i know a little about bikes but not a great deal

any serious answers/sugesstions on parts to use will be considered

THanks

S

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you have the common Ahead 28.6mm system, yes, you cut the steerer tube to size, aloowing for the headset stack height, stem, and any spacers.
  • well the headset hasn't been changed since it was purchased and it was a threaded headset. I measured it before and the threaded part of the forks came in at just under 1"1/8.
  • supersonic
    Just under that may be an inch though ;-)

Measure the inner diameter of the headtube and compare to the charts on Park Tools. I think it is 1 1/8th though.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    change it to an aheadset headset as most sus forks with threaded steeres are worse than a ridgid fork.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • yep i get what your saying. it was closer to a 1"1/8th than an inch!! lol
    i will measure it again but am confidently sure my measurements were accurate.
  • NatoED
    NatoED Posts: 480
    you can get nice pace ones on ebay that will match the frame :)
  • ohhhhh, cool. i have around £100 - 150 to spend on the forks and have been advised that anything over 80mm travel would be too much.
    i did see some old rock shox judy xc's for sale.
    come on need more advice on the forks to choose ppl.
    will post pictures of the bike through the building stages!

S
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Steve-o41 wrote:
    yep i get what your saying. it was closer to a 1"1/8th than an inch!! lol
    i will measure it again but am confidently sure my measurements were accurate.

well you want the diameter not the radius.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ah, that's what i meant....... DOH
    bit of a long evening am afraid!!!!!
  • supersonic
    You can get Recons and Rebas in 80-85mm travel.
  • well the better the fork the better the ride!!!!
    would have to see if they fall within my budget
  • fcumok
    fcumok Posts: 283
    One of the guys in my LBS has just built up an old Lava Dome. Looks awesome btw.
  • A 1995 Lava Dome...is the frame painted a bottle green colour with the old school kona block graphics? that bike was my dream ride back in the day. i never got to ride one mind

if you wanted to keep it authentic you could get some project twos if they still make them or maybe some RS mag 21's! :D