Newbie question - SPD shoes

964rh
964rh Posts: 72
edited November 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi all

Just got myself a cheap of SPD shoes so I can give them a go without breaking the bank but just wondered why they came supplied with studs for the front?

What are they for?

Sorry for the silly q

Rob

Comments

• NDawn
    NDawn Posts: 238
    I think, feel free to correct me, that they are there basically for extra traction/bite into say muddy/slippery ground due to the fact that with the cleat a good % of the normal grip is removed from the shoe.
  • 964rh
    Thought it may be something like that

Thanks
  • jweston
    jweston Posts: 37
    If you ride on rocky ground a lot you might want to leave them off as they can prove more slippery.
    ~Jessica
    Astounding Adventures
    Hill Walking - Mountain Biking - Climbing - Team Building
    http://www.astoundingadventures.co.uk
    Call free: 0333 121 2125
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    It's for climbing really slippery slopes off-road, usually only necessary for winter xc racing where you simpler cannot get up a short boggy section, the extra toe grip is a god-send!
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    Another question about SPDs - silly to start another thread :)

When I buy the shoe - will I be able to clip it into the pedal straight away or will I need anything else?
    Also, to SPD shoes work eith only SPD pedals or any type of clipless pedal?

Cheers :D
  • 964rh
    My pedals (m520 shimano's) came with cleats that screw to the bottom of the shoe. If you've got these you'll be fine.
    I don't think any shoes come with cleats but I may be wrong?!?
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    If you buy a really cheap set of shoes (e.g. LIDL types for <20 quid) then it is worth buying a shimano cleat separately, as the plates in the cheap shoes don't come with very good threads and bolts, so you will strip them fairly quickly.

I would also go for multi-release as this enables you to pull your foot out easier..
    See:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=10969

Personally I wouldn't economise on the cleats, bolts and plates, because the last thing you want is the bolt coming out leaving your foot locked in when you try to release it. I've had a pretty major fall doing this.
  • joec1
    joec1 Posts: 494
    Agree wit hte M520's, i bought em for £20 online and am well pleased with them.

am slowly getting ot grips with them but heaps better than i had imagined.

balance at slow speed will take some time but cycle effort is great... i feel like i can power on for longer uphills without feeling like giving up.

Good investment. the M520s come with the clip for the bottom of the shoes.

;)
    www.settingascene.com - MTBing in Wilts and the southwest, join up for info and ride details.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    M520's here as well, don't pay more than £20 delivered (Merlin cycles for example).

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.