Nokia Sports Tracker

bamba
bamba Posts: 856
edited January 2010 in MTB general
Has any one used nokia sports tracker ?
its a software update available for free for nokai phones with built in gps receivers to track you around on routes,very handy stuff but im having trouble uploading it to the main site, my phone is just stuck sayin "loggin in to service"
has any one used this yet ???

Comments

• Biggus86
    Biggus86 Posts: 385
    Yea its free. Just go to applications and download it, then make a profile online...

It works 70% of the time for me, other times it'll just track the time and not the distance or where you've been. Great when it works, and absolute dogs ball when it doesn't. I've used it for running and biking.
  • bamba
    ive got it all installed an working,andlogged on line to make a profile just cant upload a saved work out to veiw properly on a computer
    im having trouble uploading it to the main site, my phone is just stuck sayin "loggin in to service"
  • I've been using it for a while now. It came in handy earlier this summer when I was in Morzine. To be honest it's fairly limited in what it can tell you, but it's kinda cool and it's free.

http://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/workoutdetail/index.do?id=1231336
  • Biggus86
    Biggus86 Posts: 385
    it's free.

One of the most important things!
  • I use this on every ride I go on. Stick it in my camelbak logging and away you go. Easily records for 3 hours and hardly touches the battery.

The uploading can be a bit temprimental though, but always works after a few attempts.

He is an example of an upload..

http://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/workoutdetail/index.do?id=1688382
  • bamba
    thanks , managed to get my rides uploaded today while i was at work with a full 3G signal ,every thing happy now.
  • Don't get too comfy, Nokia are pulling the plug on Sports Tracker soon. They're replacing it with something far more "lifestyle" orientated, unfortunately.
  • i've been using it also, having the same problem with uploading, then i found this text about Nokia giving out the Sports tracker away. And that there is not going to be any update soon.
    http://www.symbian-guru.com/welcome/200 ... acker.html
    so i was introduced to www.sportypal.com which i use at the moment.
  • bamba
    I see, glad there is an alternative should it all go t*ts up,thanks
  • Looks like they are not "killing" it after all

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/item/10636_Sports_Tracker_runs_out_of_Nok.php

Infact they may be improving it.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I use it a lot and it's one of the best applications on S60 (in my opinion about the only app of interest, and makes it worth owning a Nokia). Which is why it's all the more surprising they're farming it out to an external, but anyway. It may mean it will no longer be free in the future though :(, but should mean it will turn up in Maemo form also.

Tracks are in my signature though I've set some to friends only so may have to invite me as a friend (username: tjmoore) to see some of the others. Reason for hiding some is because there's a little concern about making tracks outside of official trail centres public due to issues with land owners etc.

It's not as perfect as the dedicated devices you can get, but if you have the phone and it's got GPS, it's well worth it considering it's free. And it also does skiing, walking etc.
  • Yes probably it won't be free, and will be out sometime around new year I suppose.
  • There are lot's of free alternatives, that do very very similar things.

Have on on my android phone called my tracks

http://mytracks.appspot.com/

They are pretty much ten a penny.
  • I think I am right in saying that if you have a Nokia N79 you can get a Polar HR monitor. This would make it one of the best all-in-one tools for recording cycling trips and training progress available.

I have an iPhone and tried all of the GPS software but the battery is so weak it's pointless. Nice to hear the Nokia's have a better battery. It might just be worth getting one as a second phone.
  • spindi wrote:
    I think I am right in saying that if you have a Nokia N79 you can get a Polar HR monitor. This would make it one of the best all-in-one tools for recording cycling trips and training progress available.

If you mean 'N97' then show me the way! I can't find anything for the slow, lumbering 'flagship' :/
  • what other sports tracker type apps are there for the nokia all the ones i find are for the i phone
    "you tried your best and failed miserably. the lesson is never to try"
  • Slimbods
    Slimbods Posts: 321
    Sport tracks is superb, will import the gpx file exported from the nokia:

http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/
  • Just been out a run used my nokia5800 to track run it uploads ok on phone but when i go to site workout not there anyone any idea how long it takes to show up on site cheers all
    Life is not a spectator sport
  • Flynny2010
    Flynny2010 Posts: 72
    edited January 2010
    spindi wrote:
    I have an iPhone and tried all of the GPS software but the battery is so weak it's pointless. Nice to hear the Nokia's have a better battery. It might just be worth getting one as a second phone.

I also have an iPhone and use a app called everytrail, it's really accurate and I hardly seem to use any battery at all. Gives you an option to change the marker points so it uses even less battery.
  • spindi wrote:

I also have an iPhone and use a app called everytrail, it's really accurate and I hardly seem to use any battery at all. Gives you an option to change the marker points so it uses even less battery.
  • Just been out a run used my nokia5800 to track run it uploads ok on phone but when i go to site workout not there anyone any idea how long it takes to show up on site cheers all

Help
  • bamba
    your phone should say up load complete when done, and mine asks to search for media content on the net too,
    only probs i have some time is the time taken to upload, best done with 3G on if poss
  • spidan
    spidan Posts: 59
    slightly off topic.
    This looks an interesting piece of kit http://www.hamradio.co.uk/acatalog/Gadgets.html#a3755
    good for those that don't have a capable phone.
    Giant XTC3.5 Maxis tyres, Shimano deore cranks, superstar bits and bobs
  • bamba wrote:
    your phone should say up load complete when done, and mine asks to search for media content on the net too,
    only probs i have some time is the time taken to upload, best done with 3G on if poss

thats what it does but nothing on site
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    It is on the site instantaneously - are you sure you haven't got 2 different logins?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Just been out a run used my nokia5800 to track run it uploads ok on phone but when i go to site workout not there anyone any idea how long it takes to show up on site cheers all
    Have you logged into the site (with the same account the phone is using), and are you viewing the dashboard to see the items or just in the public area? If the public area then make sure the uploads are marked public. Else you'll have to view them under your profile dashboard.

p.s. and just to check, the site is http://sportstracker.nokia.com
  • RickyG
    RickyG Posts: 58
    drummondjhn, how did you download the software to your Nokia 5800?

I just got one and when I go to the sportstracker website to download it the 5800 isn't an option in the model drop-down menu. Very annoying.
    Strava name: Richard Gawthorpe
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    get it here
  • RickyG
    RickyG Posts: 58
    Thanks, I'll try that when I get home.
    Strava name: Richard Gawthorpe