MTB Skills Website

Calusari
Calusari Posts: 26
edited October 2009 in MTB beginners
I was involved in an RTA several months ago and have used my recovery time to build an mtb skills website. I'm still working on it and adding topics but take a look. I havnt posted on bikeradar before so some members may think I'm being cheeky posting up a link 1st post but I the only reason I wrote the site was to stay occupied and help other riders and am just trying to spread the word and hope this is not viewed as Spam.

MTB Techniques.

Comments

• bay73
    bay73 Posts: 130
    I'm at work so briefly scanned the site and to be honest it looks a useful resource.

I'm sure people on here will disagree with some of your advice but hey that's life :lol:

Out of interest, have you any qualifications to back up what you say or it it just years of experience.

Good effort :P
  • I will be picking up my first 'proper' mountain bike sometime this week as a total beginner so will most likely find anything like this really useful- I'll have a good look on there^^^^ when i get back from work 8)
  • XxxBFGxxX
    XxxBFGxxX Posts: 1,355
    just clicked ya link mate first impression. very nice looks clean not read it yet will do that later when i get biut more time

good job
  • didim
    didim Posts: 82
    Just read throught 6 of the articles and looks like good advice 8)
  • bay73 wrote:
    Out of interest, have you any qualifications to back up what you say or it it just years of experience.
    30+ years riding MTB, BMX and MX plus 7 years withing the training industry (Works Training Dept and driving instructor)

No bike specific quals but I'm happy riding any UK DH course, can clean the Rangers etc, know how I do it and how to pass that info on.

I already do informal skills sessions for mates/memebrs of some forums but I'm hoping to get some formal quals next year.
  • rubins4
    rubins4 Posts: 563
    looks like a good website. Nice to see you put your spare time to good use! 8)

Have you though about putting some vids in with the technique based stuff?
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12613038
    Anyway, fk dis, I iz off 4 a ride innit. l8rz peepz
  • bay73 wrote:
    30+ years riding MTB, BMX and MX plus 7 years withing the training industry (Works Training Dept and driving instructor)

No bike specific quals but I'm happy riding any UK DH course, can clean the Rangers etc, know how I do it and how to pass that info on.

I already do informal skills sessions for mates/members of some forums but I'm hoping to get some formal quals next year.
  • really nice site,lots of nice info in one place....

"Try to steer clear of chain stores especially ones that sell car parts as their staffs actual knowledge of riding can be a bit hit and miss."

no guessing who you meant there though :wink:

and are you the real John Prescott? aka 2jags :P

any chance of some short vids linked to the topics for us short atte,sorry what was i on about

nice site already added to favorites
  • piker
    piker Posts: 353
    Had a good read through and looks to be coming along nicely.Only been back on the bike about 5 months and will try some of the techniques out.Would also like to see some vids, its in my favourites ,keep up the good work.
  • I'm Doug, John Prescott has the credits for a couple of topics.

Vids to come after all the topics have been done.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Its a nice site a few tips if you don't mind and a challenge...

try a serif font its easier on the eyes when reading on screen..

maybe add a search option, there are plenty of php freebies around.

Get in some affiliates schemes so that you can make a little cash on it

A night riding article would be good (very seasonal)

try using a few key words in each of the articles, so that search engines can better index the site..

e.g.

"Basic mountain bike riding skills are the solid foundation that the Fundamental riding skills are based upon. They are the core cycling skills equally valid both on or off road and are essential for safe riding in all conditions mountain, cross trail or dirt track. These cycling skills will allow you to ride on smooth, prepared surfaces in a safe and controlled manner

Staying seated on you bicycle will allow you to concentrate fully on developing each basic skill until it becomes almost second nature. Don't try to concentrate on too many skills at any onetime, make one or two a priority for each cycle or section of your mountain biking adventure.

Ok now for my challenge

"Use no more than two fingers and preferably only one on the brake lever. This will keep as many fingers wrapped around the bars as possible giving you better control of the bike whilst braking whilst keeping you from applying too much brake or panic braking which could lead to you loosing control of your bike."

Need to remember that some riders might experience brake fade during the ride, so having your fingers underneath the brake leaver when you need to get them all the way back is going to be less than ideal. (This is a basic thing that motorcycle riders learn). It should be sufficient to grip the bar with just the thumb. Might be worth looking at a few motorbiking site for xover ideas.
  • Cheers for the advice diy I'll definitely work on my keyword placement.

I can see where you are coming from with more fingers on the bars but IMO the situations that promote brake fade on an mtb are the same ones that require control of the bars. Brake fade is usually caused by dragging the brakes on longer descents where you should really be braking harder for shorter durations on smooth sections then letting the bike run on the rough parts. More fingers on the brake levers givs less control of the bars so encourages a rider to drag the brakes to keep their speed down. In many cases this alone is enough to cause the brake fade. More fingers on the bar gives extra confidence over the rough section of trail leading to less dragging of the brake, less brake fade and so no need for the power of those extra fingers.

I don't know many MX riders that use more than 2 fingers on their front brake lever and most use only one (See Jeremy McGrath pic below) IIRC Road motorcyclists use more fingers but they don't have to deal with the repeated hits the rough terrain MX and MTB riders tackle provide.

It has reminded me that I need to write a bit about brake lever positioning to avoid said finger in between lever and bars scenario.

141_0806_02_z+jeremy_mcgrath_bbr_crf150r+chris_denison.jpg
  • diy
    I'm not saying use more fingers I tend to use only 1 or 2, I'm saying get your other fingers out of the way.

Motorbike brakes/clutch are usually reach adjustable and can be set up exactly how you want them.. A set of V-brakes or mech disc brakes, often cant be and can suffer fade simply by getting wet or being badly maintained.

Since you are targeting newbies you need to write thinking about a supermarket special.
  • Since you are targeting newbies you need to write thinking about a supermarket special

I don't agree with that statement, How many newbies who want to do some proper XC riding are going to buy a supermarket special?

OP's site is for beginners who want to raise their game, it doesn't need dumbing down to the lowest common denominator. If people crush their fingers they will ether adjust the brakes if they can, or realise a supermarket special isn't really a mountain bike.
  • diy
    OK perhaps not ASDA specials, but probably Halfords specials. Mech disc brakes are not as consistent as hydros and I used to find my old shimanos were at the stop after a lot of braking and needed winding in notch. I certainly wouldn't want my fingers between me and the bars. Its not about crushed fingers - its about crashing through a hedge.
  • jweston
    jweston Posts: 37
    I love the site, you've got some great information. Will you have to be in another RTA to write a book ;)

Which qualifications are you going for? I'm sure you'll do well which ever you choose.

Cheers
    ~Jessica
    Astounding Adventures
    Hill Walking - Mountain Biking - Climbing - Team Building
    http://www.astoundingadventures.co.uk
    Call free: 0333 121 2125
  • I've changed the topic slightly which should address the point raised. Cheers for the comments.

I havnt decided on which qualification yet but want one focussed more on technical training rather than mountain leadership.
  • jweston
    jweston Posts: 37
    I have the SMBLA (Scottish Mountain Bike Leader Award) qualification. I also have a Mountain Leader award. The leadership stuff in SMBLA is much more condensed and biking focused, I really enjoyed it. There was also quite a bit about different coaching styles and techniques, which is pretty handy. Also the SMBLA is the only national governing body award as it's recognised by British Cycling.

I also started the CTC Skills Coaching award, which is very skills focused, and a brilliant system to coach from. I was unable to complete it though as I proposed to work in an area where there was already a CTC coach so they wouldn't assess me.

Sorry for wandering off topic a bit...
    ~Jessica
    Astounding Adventures
    Hill Walking - Mountain Biking - Climbing - Team Building
    http://www.astoundingadventures.co.uk
    Call free: 0333 121 2125
  • jweston wrote:
    I have the SMBLA (Scottish Mountain Bike Leader Award) qualification. I also have a Mountain Leader award. The leadership stuff in SMBLA is much more condensed and biking focused, I really enjoyed it. There was also quite a bit about different coaching styles and techniques, which is pretty handy. Also the SMBLA is the only national governing body award as it's recognised by British Cycling.

I also started the CTC Skills Coaching award, which is very skills focused, and a brilliant system to coach from. I was unable to complete it though as I proposed to work in an area where there was already a CTC coach so they wouldn't assess me.
    I'll keep that info in mind. IIRC there is already a CTC coach in the area. BC recognition would be pretty beneficial as I plan on offering courses up to introductory and intermediate DH race technique

What's been done on the website so far is really just laying the foundations for the more advanced topics to come like DH race line choice, pre jumping, drifting, nosing into steep switchbacks, drops into turns etc.
  • diy
    I like the climbing section, some good ideas - what are your thoughts on cadence? For example I used to try to get up a hill in as high a gear as possible, to keep my speed up and the exercise up, but when I got a HR/Cadence sensor I realised I had more "BHP" by going down a cog and keeping my cadence above 60. Doing this I was reduce the time by about 5% and my HR was up about 5-10bpm.

Obviously I'm talking about 10-15%ers not 20-25%ers which need the kind of techniques discussed in the article
  • Higher RPM is far smoother and more efficient way of getting up longer shallow climbs IMO. Being a big guy, on the road bike I have a relatively slow cadence of 80 to 90 rpm. Once you adapt your body's physiology to a higher cadence it is a much more efficient way of climbing whilst keeping the lactic acid levels lower. As you have to spin the pedals to achieve a high cadence it also results in a much smoother power delivery resulting in less traction issues and more control of the front end. Pushing a big gear at a slow cadence also encourages muscles to gain strength rather than efficiency. This also makes them heavier meaning more weight to drag up the climb.
  • diy
    Calusari wrote:
    Being a big guy, on the road bike I have a relatively slow cadence of 80 to 90 rpm

If that is slow cadence - what are you targeting? I thought 80 was optimum for road cyclists? - I avg 60-70 on a ride.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    I've only had a quick look, but do you mention how to fall off?

I'm being serious here. One of the first things I tell my clients is: "If you don't want to fall off, then don't get on the bike".

Nobody wants to fall off, but it is inevitable. Telling novices that they will fall off is not as counterproductive as it first looks. They begin to understand that it doesn't mean they are useless and it's all a waste of time, it is part and parcel of the activity and everyone does it.

I also try to explain the basics of falling safely, not putting arms out, tuck and roll, protecting your head etc.

You have a good looking site, waht are you using to build and maintain it? I really do need to update my own site.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • I'm using dreamweaver to build/maintain it. Good point about crashing, I'll get a beginners crashing tpic done sometime this weekend. I tell all the intermediate/adavnced riders I've taken on skills sessions to push it until they get loose and also how to crash but just didnt think to put it in the basics. tyvm
  • diy
    last thing - a disclaimer.. here's a modded one from a advanced motorbiking site I used to run..

The information on this site should be taken as a broad guide only and is open to interpretation and misunderstanding. You should consult a qualified instructors for more information about any of the tips given. XXX cannot accept responsibility or liability for accuracy, clarity or your interpretation. Mountain biking can be dangerous and you must make sure you understand and accept the level of risk when you ride.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    Calusari wrote:
    I'm using dreamweaver to build/maintain it. Good point about crashing, I'll get a beginners crashing tpic done sometime this weekend. I tell all the intermediate/adavnced riders I've taken on skills sessions to push it until they get loose and also how to crash but just didnt think to put it in the basics. tyvm

thanks for that, I've just had a look at your source code, I'm trying for something that uses html more efficiently. At the moment that seems to be hand coding. Ah well. keeps me busy!
    :wink:
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • My code is pretty messy as I taught myself how to write it as I went. I'd do it a bit different if I was to start again from scratch.
  • diy
  • There was a disclaimer in the footer but I've added the one you put up as it's loads better. Cheers.
  • looks fantastic for a begginer like me it will provide some good advice! :D