oh NO what have i done

strodey
strodey Posts: 481
edited October 2009 in MTB general
Just added some mudgaurds to my mtb :o , it used to be so beautiful!
I feel i've abused it, how can i get rid of such guilt. :cry:
Carbon is a mans best freind

Comments

• MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    Take them off. Buy some googles and a few packs of tear-offs!
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • ads4
    ads4 Posts: 698
    Yep, take them off. There is nothing wrong with getting dirty ;)
    Adam.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Current ride - Yeti ASR 5a X0
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    strodey wrote:
    I feel i've abused it, how can i get rid of such guilt. :cry:

Next time you go riding with mates on a manky day, that guilt might pass :lol: Bikes are tools not ornaments, function over form always. Mudguards are great.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • You were right

What have you done :(

Get em off and get dirty!!
    On One Inbred 456
    On One Inbred SS
  • I always run a front crud catcher during the wet months

f*ck fashion, it might look a bit cr*p but it makes so much difference to the quality of a ride when the ground is wet and muddy!
    Call 01372 476 969 for more information on UK\'s leading freeride park - Esher Shore www.eshershore.com
  • Sarnian
    Sarnian Posts: 1,451
    Brought one of these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=39951
    It arrived today, went for a 2 hour muddy ride, was very impressed works well and does not look to bad.
    It's not a ornament, so ride It
  • Sarnian wrote:
    It arrived today, went for a 2 hour muddy ride, was very impressed works well and does not look to bad.

I am not quite sure whether I like those or not.. still undecided. I know it's very functional, but I can't get my head around it's looks on an MTB.

I do like the frame mounted Crud, sadly my Felt AM bike has cables running up the front of the tube so I just live with getting down and dirty when riding in wet conditions
  • Northwind
    The front Crud's just plain weird, unless you want to fit a number board. No reason other than that to fit one over a Shockboard, which has backwards protection too.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Sarnian
    Sarnian Posts: 1,451
    It did look a little odd at first, but I got used to It pretty quick, I normally use just a normal crud catcher In the muddy months but I think this Is even better.
    It's not a ornament, so ride It
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    MTFU.

Mud is good for the skin. Or something. Who cares. I have a set of cruds they are currently on my mates commuter bike having sat unused for the past 5 years.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    That said - I have only ridden int he summer for the past 5 years! :lol:
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    strodey wrote:
    Just added some mudgaurds to my mtb
    IIRC I only took the front one off for about a week this year. Back one goes on only when the conditions are really bad.
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    They might be practical but I could never bring myself to use big huge mudguard. Just...no way.
  • _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    Have I missed something?

Mudguards look fine on a bike, assuming you've bought something decent like the CRUD products and not an upturned bin lid from Aldi.

I think my bike looks great in the winter - it has a look of "ready to get muddy" about it.
    Not really active
  • Mork77
    Mork77 Posts: 8
    I dont understand either, do people really like getting mud and god knows what else sprayed in their faces?
    I think its because magazines always show bikes in action shots splatted with a bit of mud and no mud guards which makes us think that its obviously not cool to use them but they probably deliberately dont use them because they are reviewing the bike not accessories attached to them which would probably make them look a bit cluttered etc.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I have to say that I really like the look of the 09 Crudcatcher on my FSRxc. It probably helps that both are black however.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Go out on a cold wet day. Make sure you take in a couple of cowpats on your way round. That should help assuage the guilt unless you enjoy icy water running down your back and poo in your teeth!
  • there's a reason you don't see mudguards and crud catchers in magazines, because they would have to fit and remove them again fro every bike they test. I've seen crudcatchers on a fair few of the long term test bikes in various mags.

i use my bike for a practical purpose, not just to look good, so if there are easy things i can do to improve the practicality of it then all the better. i'd rather be riding and having fun that looking at it in my kitchen cos i can't be arsed with mud in my eye or being completely covered in dog/cow/anything crap and mud.

autumn is when you need that front crud catcher imho - when you've ended up with a face of digdirt that some wonderful owner has left hidden in the leaves 'because no-one will see it' then i reckon you'd agree ;)

anyway, unless you get old school touring mudguards that encase the top half of the wheels, you're not going to stay completely dry and mud free, so it's not a case of being prissy or 'manning up' ( a strange comment from those that also say they don't like how it looks, manning up needed elsewhere imho), it's about controlling it to a degree when it keeps the ride fun, keeps the bike/mech clean enough to ride for hours, and not having to get tearoffs for goggles and other really bad environmental ways of dealing with it.

my 2ps worth.
  • I am at one with Mother Earth, and I'm happy to have her fling in my face whatever she likes, so mud/crud guards are a no go area as far as I'm concerned. They make your bike look shite and a wee bit of mud never hurt anyone.
  • _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    Nice line Joe.
    However I will say that after having "Mother earth" try to insert freezing mud and water into my rectal passage at high speed I decided sod her, and put on a rear mudguard.
    Not really active
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    My bike looks awful with its THE carbon look DH on the front and a Speed Stuff chrome look DH on the back, a bit like a cheap halfords bike unless you know what it is. The good part is that it is unlikely to attract attention from the wrong sort of admirer.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    its a tough call lol.
    clean uncluttered lines along the bikes profile
    or cr*p everywhere ?
    damn u british climate :lol:
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    im weary of MTFU and mud , just retired from rugby :lol:
  • NatoED
    NatoED Posts: 480
    i look at it this way ; If I put on a mud guard i'll add weight to the bike in the form of the mud guard AND the layers of mud that will soon cake it and clog up . That's a lot of extra weight to carry ;) (ps best one i've ever seen was a guard made of 1/2 a 1lt coke bottle cut down it's length made by a friend of mine )
  • Northwind
    edited October 2009
    It's not about mud, it's about wet- get properly wet on a long winter ride and it can be thoroughly miserable. Not to mention that your pack gets plastered, so you can't get anything in or out without it getting muddy...

Mud might be good for the skin, but it's not so good in the eyes. Let alone dog poo...
    Uncompromising extremist
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    I use 'guards because I really cannot be bothered having to clean or protect everything anywhere near as much without them. Where I ride locally the mud is wet and horrid, I may even run my swampthings all year round because ig is so damn wet all the time.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • Sarnian wrote:

how do they fit? do you need to remove grips and shifters to get them on? i need a front mudguard for my hack - looks ideal.
  • I had the same thoughts as most of you that I don't want to ruin the look of the bike until I went out this morning and ran over a dog egg that was covered by leaves.

All I could smell for the next 15 mins was dog egg as it had flicked up onto my helmet, so I will be going out to get a decent front guard