Stumpjumper 2010 comp reviews

smoothbadger
smoothbadger Posts: 36
edited October 2009 in MTB general
OK im about to take the plunge....but beofre i go and blow 1800 on a new bike has anyone out there actually had much experince of this bike - should i do it?

What others should i consider - ive found a nice ex demo 09 stumpy elite for cheaper from a shop should i go for that instead?

what about a Lappierre or a cannondale?

i cant seem to find many reviews on the stumpy 2010 and dont want to make a bad decision.......hlep

should i be concerned about the face theat the comp doesnt have the brain shock? it got pro pedal instead - is this a bad thing? the last thing i want is to find out that i cant go uphill very well on this bike

are there any reviews out there on this bike?

please help :)

Comments

• CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    There haven't been any proper mag reviews of any of the 2010 stumpy's (apart from a first look at the S-Works) as far as I know.

Get yourself along to your local spesh dealer or nearest concept store and chuck a leg over one if you're genuinely interested. The mags will only tell you so much...
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    Depending on the size you want you could find a new 09 Elite for 1600.
  • How does the 09 elite compare with the 2010 comp?

Thanks for the links above but I've seen them allready and wanted to hear or read rider reviews

should I consider the 09 elite stumpy? Or a lappierre 314 zesty?
  • How does the 09 elite compare with the 2010 comp?

Thanks for the links above but I've seen them allready and wanted to hear or read rider reviews

should I consider the 09 elite stumpy? OrCV lappierre 314 zesty?
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    Obvious answer: you should try them out.

The Elite has a nice fork, the Zesty is a great bike. A guy I ride with picked up a Zesty before they were hyped for 1500ish, this year's batch seem to be selling for 2100. Personally I prefer Stumpy geometry.

www.specialized.com has all the specs and geometrics, look in the archive for 2009 and earlier.
  • bigmart
    bigmart Posts: 87
    i'm thinking about getting the '10 Elite after xmas.

Only the pro (£2999) upwards has the brain shox, but the triad shock has propedal, full open or lock out so all you need for climbing

Biggest difference between O9 and 10 stumpies is the '10 has 140mm travel rather than 120mm, adn they look completly different

I've been comparing all the like 140mm travel bikes and the stumpy seems the best spec for the same money

You can get a commencal meta 55 Uk's for £1600 quid at the moment
  • CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    The 09 Elite is definitely worth a look if you can still find one in the size you need. The white detailing is lovely.

tredz are advertising an 09 Elite for less than £1500 at the moment http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Specialized-Stumpjumper-FSR-Elite-Full-Suspension-MTB-Mountain-Bike-2009-Full-Suspension-MTB_21004.htm

The 10 Stumpy's do promise to be excellent but its a bit too early to tell. Book a test ride at a Specialized concept store http://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/[/url]
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    Depends. I rode both and plumped for the Zesty. Found it more suitable tot he sort of ride position I like. Slightly more spread out that the very upright stumpjumper.

Both are excellent choices though....my mate's on the stumpjumper and in terms of performance we're both nip/tuck....so little in it.
  • Mastineo
    Mastineo Posts: 182
    Done a couple of hundred miles on my '10 Stumpy Expert now and still very much impressed. Took a fair bit of trial and error to get the suspension 'just right' but well worth the effort. Floats along the trails and feels like a hardtail on the tarmac bits. Got mine from the Specialized concept store in Brum, phoned on the Tuesday and collected on the Friday.
    Much prefer it to my mates Trek EX9 - as does he!
    The free Lupine Tesla is pretty impressive too :lol::lol:
  • great good to hear some actual rider feedback.........Mastineo whats the worst thing about it? or wht would you change?

also whats it like on the climbs?

Mccraque......any other comparisions betweeen the lappierre and the stumpy?
  • Mastineo
    Mastineo Posts: 182
    The only thing I've changed is the stem, it came with a 75mm one that I've changed to 100mm. Just makes the riding position better for me, I'm 5'10/11 so in between sizes. I got the Medium.
    Climbs great! I can clear a local climb with the forks at 120mm that I used to struggle with on my 04 Stumpy with 100mm forks. Admittedly the '04 was a large frame, so that might have something to do with it. Bear in mind though that I'm no MTB god and what I call a climb, others might call a 'gradient' :roll:
    Been round Sherwood PInes on it a few times and certainly feel that I'm quicker on the singletrack than I was.
    If for some reason I needed to buy another £2.5k MTB tomorrow, I would probably buy another Stumpy. Says it all really.