How hard is it to shove a seatpost all the way down

Jayng
Jayng Posts: 53
edited October 2009 in MTB beginners
How hard is it to shove a seatpost all the way down? I'm using an 08 Nomad and the first seatpost i used was way too loose. It would go left to right during rides. Then I brot it back to my LBS and switched to a proper-sized seatpost. But now, I can't seem to drop the seatpost all the way down. Now only that, even moving it an inch up or down is kinda tough. I lubed it, still... hard to do.

Any other suggestions?

Comments

• what did u lub it with grease? try wd40 instead.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Do not WD40 your seatpost, use a good Teflon grease.

What size seatpost did you have & what do you have now? (It will be stamped near the bottom of the post)[/url]
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • I'm fairly sure you need a 30.9mm diameter seat post. What size have you got? As has been said, it should be on the post near the bottom. It's signified by a circle with a line through it, like this Ø.
  • DVV
    DVV Posts: 126
    Maybe it is slightly bent.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    maybe you have water bottle bosses and bolts it is catching on.
  • chubby666
    chubby666 Posts: 116
    Sometimes Ali Frames Fur Up Inside And Make Moving The Seatpost Down A Little Tight , Try Using A Long Bottle Cleaning Brush To Cean It Out
  • Jayng
    Jayng Posts: 53
    According to the LBS, now I'm using the right seatpost size. I've used some teflon grease. And I'm pretty sure it's a 30.9. I'll re-check the sizing and get back to you guys. Thanks for the replies!
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    What make post is it? I find a Thomson is a tight fit, I guess made to closer tolerances than some (or due to a thicker coating?). If it's a struggle to even get the seat post in the seat tube then it just sounds like it's very tight rather than catching on anything. Not sure if it's possible to over-tighten the QR seat clamp so when unclamped it's still applying a clamping force but might be worth checking you're not over-doing it?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    pull it out and look for scratches.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I wonder if the top of the tube has been damaged by using a too small post and the clamp pinched it in?

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Or is the seat tube slightly deformed where the front mech clamps on?