Some unidentifiable play in my cranks

theboykidney
theboykidney Posts: 95
edited November 2009 in Workshop
Hi,
I've just fitted a bottom bracket and cranks and theres a bit of play in them, but can't really figure out how.
The movement occurs in the cranks as if the octalink ist a completely tight fit, so to describe the axis of movement, it feels like the cranks can slightly over and under rotate by a few millimetres.
I cant see any movement in the BB, and I cant imgine the allen bolts do much more than keep the cranks on as the fit of the octalink should be stopping the movement.

The BB and cranks have been hand tightened as I dont have a torque wrench, but theyre pretty damned tight!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem could be?

Cheers.

Comments

• crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Take the bolts out and re-mount the cranks making sure they're seated all the way on the BB axle. Could be that the arms weren't lined up with the splines exactly right. It's an easy mistake to make with some octalink cranks. Hopefully no damage has been done to the alu splines. I could be wrong about the diagnosis but worth a look.
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    I cant imgine the allen bolts do much more than keep the cranks on as the fit of the octalink should be stopping the movement.

The bolts actually clamp the whole thing together pulling the crank onto the octalink splines.If these are loose then play could occur.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Are you absolutely sure the cranks and BB are compatible?? Did they come as a set?
  • thanks for all your suggestions. Thought Id post and let you know that it turns out to be a compatibility issue. BB is suitable for 105 cranks, and I have Tiagra - even though i called the shop before ordering to confirm compatibility :(