Why is it so hard? Getting cycling "stats" correct

donrhummy
donrhummy Posts: 2,329
edited October 2009 in Pro race
I'd say about 70% of the time the mainstream media reports on cycling, they get something wrong. No big deal. But what's weird to me is when a cycling team/sponsor has a website or article they ALSO seem to get a lot of stuff wrong. Why doesn't anyone research this stuff?

http://www.teamradioshack.us/if-2010-doesn’t-make-you-a-team-radioshack-fan/
Do you realize Lance Armstrong has stepped up on that podium in Paris every time he’s finished the race?

Um...no, in 1995 Mr. Armstrong finished the TDF and placed 36th. Unless it was a damn huge podium in Paris that year, I don't think he was on it.

Comments

• TheShack wrote:
    Okay, except for 2 other guys one of which he was supporting as a team member!

Talking of making stuff up
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    And a simple spelling mistake- fete instead of feat.

The rest of the 'article' made my toes curl.
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    donrhummy wrote:
    I'd say about 70% of the time the mainstream media reports on cycling, they get something wrong. No big deal. But what's weird to me is when a cycling team/sponsor has a website or article they ALSO seem to get a lot of stuff wrong. Why doesn't anyone research this stuff?

http://www.teamradioshack.us/if-2010-doesn’t-make-you-a-team-radioshack-fan/
    Do you realize Lance Armstrong has stepped up on that podium in Paris every time he’s finished the race?

Um...no, in 1995 Mr. Armstrong finished the TDF and placed 36th. Unless it was a damn huge podium in Paris that year, I don't think he was on it.
    The answer to this is simple. Armstrong and his corporate-backed propaganda machine are well known for their revisionism, and the fact that Armstrong was a total no-hoper as a Tour rider until he teamed up with Ferrari is an embarrassing fact that they would like to see written out of history.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    donrhummy wrote:
    I'd say about 70% of the time the mainstream media reports on cycling, they get something wrong.

Probably not the best way to start a thread about incorrect cycling stats!! :lol: But I do get the point you are making.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Apparently Armstrong, in conjunction with Trek Corp, invented the bicycle.

Legend has it that before 1999 a few weird Europeans, along with one bitter American guy called Greg who actually lived in Belgium, would wheel around France on strange machines but that just wasn't the same sport, you can't compare the dark ages to the era of Lance.
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    Some odd crap about helmet use on there as well e.g.
    Fabio Casatelli’s fatal bicycle crash of the 1995 Tour de France is just an example of how helmets can save lives.

Huh, whoever wrote that needs to go back to first year science and jurno classes.
  • 97.3% of all statistics are lies!!!

(I'll get me coat...........)
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    60% of the time, it's right all the time.
  • I think it was written by Geoff Hurst, not George.

The sort of stuff that will either have folks reaching for the sick bag, or some toilet tissue. :oops:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.