tubeless repair?

mrlewis
mrlewis Posts: 60
edited October 2009 in MTB beginners
i was out cycling today and got a thorn stuck in my tyre, cut the story short, i plled it out and now had a flat tyre. im running tubeless and was wondering if the sealants that you can buy would sort my problem out? if so how would i do it?

i am a noob when it comes to tubeless! and would be greatfull if anyone can help!

thanks in advance
lewis
exercise.png

Comments

• jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Yes using a sealant with the tubeless set up can help to to seal up punctures.

Stans or Joes sealants are some of the more popular ones.

Im currently running a tubeless setup but only had a couple weeks and haven't tested out the puncture repair performance yet.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    If you get a bigger puncture, you can get tubeless-specific repair kits (good on the trail as they can be fitted without removing the tyre) or you can put a standard inner tube patch on from the inside. But IMO tubeless without sealant is just not a good idea, you save about 60 grams per tyre but you lose what to me is half the point of tubeless.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • mrlewis
    mrlewis Posts: 60
    this may sound silly but how do i get the sealant into the tyre? it doesnt look ike i can put it into the valve? any suggestions/ways to get the sealant in?
    exercise.png
  • Panter
    Panter Posts: 299
    If you have Schrader valves, you can get a little tool to unscrew the valve core and add it through there.

Alternatively, just pop a bit of your tyre bead off and tip it in (unseat it at the 9 o'clock position and let it run down to the bottom)

HTH

Chris :)
    Racing snakes. It's not big, and it's not clever ;)
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    If you've got presta valves then you can often unscrew the cores from them as well.

below the knurled valve open shut bit can come undone.

Personally my ideal setup would be tubeless ready style tyres and sealant. Lighter than a full UST and sealant. My ghetto setup ride beautifully though.
  • I recently bought a Rocky Mountain Vertex50 over the internet with Hutchinson Tubeless Tyres on it. Its still a big mystery to me how they seal/work. Guess I will find out when a puncture occurs... :roll:
    BAZZ
  • Hi MrLewis.
    Myself Jessica from United States of America, I read your problem that you had mentioned in your post. I would like suggest you to put sealant in your valve and push it further, It will go and stick to puncture. But if it is a big puncture you can go for tubeless repair kit
    Thanks for sharing your problems with us all and stay in touch.
    When there is a will, there is a way.