Longest time off the bike because of injury?

.blitz
.blitz Posts: 6,197
edited October 2009 in MTB general
I was reading Dirt's feature on Rob Warner the other day and he has broken so many bones I'm surprised he was ever able to ride a bike. 3 months is the longest I've been off the bike, with a broken scaphoid. How 'bout you and what did you do?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Never actually had a serious bike injury. Chipped my shin bone and cuts and grazes, but fine apart from that.
  • 5 years. less if you count am exercise cycle in physio.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    .blitz wrote:
    3 months is the longest I've been off the bike, with a broken scaphoid. How 'bout you and what did you do?

I've just done the exact same thing. Been out of the cast for a month now and still working to getting the wrist back to full strength. Im not able to ride anything remotely technical but glad just to be back on the bike.
  • .blitz
    jairaj wrote:
    I've just done the exact same thing. Been out of the cast for a month now and still working to getting the wrist back to full strength.
    Pesky little things eh? I have a pin in the left one thanks to the doc who said it was 'just sprained'. Hospital fellas laughed, broke it again (ouch) and pinned it. I broke the right one as well but it was very slow to knit together. Probably over a year before I got full mobility back :(
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    A dodgy curry kept me off the bike for three days once.
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    edited October 2009
    4 Months and counting, probably 6 before I can ride on anything other than tarmac, maybe 9. it'll take months longer to get the strengh back to ride properly because I'm not allowed to lift anything with my right arm so my bicep/tricep is a giant Bingowing.

Hit a rock on the outside of the trail at Afan, span the bars and snapped my left wrist (which is pretty much, aside from a bit more physio work OK now). flipped over the bars, torpedo'd into the ground head first (some excellent work from the Fox Flux) flipped over came down on my right elbow. I basically 'granulated' the joint. Got a big plate in there to go with the one in my other wrist.

I have another xray due in Dec, if they say it's all healed I can start riding again, if not I have to wait until March for another xray.

The major pisstake though is that the plate is the only thing holding it togeather, surgeon tells me that if it comes loose, or snaps they'll fuse it in place and I'll never ride again - So it's up to me if I what I want to do with it.

What I want to do is go to Whistler in Aug next year, but that means building up on my XC bike, getting back out on the DH bike and getting back to some sort of level on that, all the time knowing if my plate fails I'll never ride again, MTB or Motorbike.... FML

Elbow.jpg
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    Very luck so far, worst has been taking a large amount of skin from my knee, didn't hurt that much, but had to lay off riding for a couple of weeks as bending my knee kept braking the scab.

O, and when I was a kid about 7ish I took about year off after I had a head-on with a car, no injuries just scared the bejezus out of me.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    fractured my wrist in China ... stupidly. That took a couple of months before I could load it up gain

banged my leg and knee up pretty badly this spring. 1 month off pedals (the knee wouldn't move enough)

nothing worse than that though (touch wood.....)
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • .blitz
    P-Jay: take it easy and GWS fella. The temptation to ride while bust up can be overwhelming but you have to resist.
  • P-Jay
    .blitz wrote:
    P-Jay: take it easy and GWS fella. The temptation to ride while bust up can be overwhelming but you have to resist.

True mate. As soon as they cut of my casts, and I do mean the moment I got home. I fired up the CBR and went out, AGONY put it away for another month, can ride it pretty easy now, but in hard braking and whatnot you hold your weight by squezing the tank with your thighs.

Doc said, "NO riding"

Me "OK"

Doc "If you were a road rider then maybe, just for the sake of some exorcise, but Jesus, no off road - You can't load that arm"

Me "OK"

But my brain said "Hmmm, probably OK to ride on the road then", 2 seconds later "Well if it's OK to ride on the road, farm tracks will probably be OK"

2 hours later.

Offroadin.jpg

It's only about a 5-10 min ride here from my house, took me nearly 20. Slogged up that, took the pic to txt my riding mates with. Then realised I had to come back down it. It's hardly tech (unless you've only got one working arm), but it's loose and steep. Couldn't brake too hard because of the weight transfer was hurting, sliding around. Got it down OK but gave myself a right telling off. Decided to park my Enduro until I get the OK.

I'll have to "relearn" how to ride, my right arm won't go very straight. My left goes to the slightly bent angle I'm used too, but the right can't so I end up with my shoulders at a funny angle and all out of balance.
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    P-Jay wrote:
    I basically 'granulated' the joint.

Harsh. Very effective word choice there.
  • Broke my shoulder blade and separated both shoulders on top of a pretty bad concussion on a descent in northern China. Kept me out for 2 weeks - long enough that I could extend my arm to grab the bars again!
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    1 day for nettle stings on an MTB.... Them buggers hurt.

12+ months on a motorbike with broken bones in 20+ places.
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    6 months with a slipped disc and trapped nerve that still gives me trouble when i'm riding for more than 3 hours

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • .blitz
    Hercule Q wrote:
    6 months with a slipped disc and trapped nerve that still gives me trouble when i'm riding for more than 3 hours
    Think that's one of the most frustrating. My back 'goes' every now and then and all I can do is lie on the floor :(
  • bay73
    bay73 Posts: 130
    P-Jay wrote:
    4 Months and counting, probably 6 before I can ride on anything other than tarmac, maybe 9. it'll take months longer to get the strengh back to ride properly because I'm not allowed to lift anything with my right arm so my bicep/tricep is a giant Bingowing.

Hit a rock on the outside of the trail at Afan, span the bars and snapped my left wrist (which is pretty much, aside from a bit more physio work OK now). flipped over the bars, torpedo'd into the ground head first (some excellent work from the Fox Flux) flipped over came down on my right elbow. I basically 'granulated' the joint. Got a big plate in there to go with the one in my other wrist.

Now I'm feeling really nervous about my trip to Afan on 30th Oct :(

BTW - Get well soon :)
  • P-Jay
    bay73 wrote:
    P-Jay wrote:

Don't worry mate, theres nothing there to worry about really. It's a fantastic place, you'll love it.

My mistake was taking the mick / running out of luck. I know the place like the back of my hand, most weekends we were there for 3 years, well when we weren't at Cwmcarn or Brechfa, Coed, Llandegla etc but mostly Afan.

Riding Penhydd, the easiest of all the trails, there, but instead of paying attention I was flying down the trail thinking how well my new EN521's span up and day dreaming about flying to the Alps the weekend after and POW, over I went.

Even then it was a unholy set of circumstances that got me so hurt, 99 times out of a 100 hitting that rock would have meant, ether slamming with no more than a couple of grazes and a bruise or two or flying out into the undergrowth looking for a soft looking tree to slow me down.
  • bay73
    bay73 Posts: 130
    P-Jay wrote:
    bay73 wrote:
    P-Jay wrote:

Don't worry mate, theres nothing there to worry about really. It's a fantastic place, you'll love it.

My mistake was taking the mick / running out of luck. I know the place like the back of my hand, most weekends we were there for 3 years, well when we weren't at Cwmcarn or Brechfa, Coed, Llandegla etc but mostly Afan.

Riding Penhydd, the easiest of all the trails, there, but instead of paying attention I was flying down the trail thinking how well my new EN521's span up and day dreaming about flying to the Alps the weekend after and POW, over I went.

Even then it was a unholy set of circumstances that got me so hurt, 99 times out of a 100 hitting that rock would have meant, ether slamming with no more than a couple of grazes and a bruise or two or flying out into the undergrowth looking for a soft looking tree to slow me down.

thanks for the encouragement. in all honesty i am really looking forward to it. i guess a little nervous apprehension should help

i thought that showing the wife a headcam film of the wall would make her more comfortable with my going away. it didn't.

she then reminded me of the time when she was 7 months pregnant and i went snowboarding and the last thing she said to me was 'don't break anything'.

needless to say i broke my leg on a badly taken table top and came off crutches the day before my daughter was born :roll:
  • my dad now wants me to stop mountain biking because of my 'ACCIDENT'
  • my dad now wants me to stop mountain biking because of my 'ACCIDENT'
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    edited October 2009
    91 days off the bike between 26th April 2008 until 27th July 2008 due to this minor issue caused by a manual gone wrong

28042008107largejo0.th.jpg

Repair work:
    28042008104largewl3.th.jpg28042008102largelh7.th.jpg

The lower photo shows the stitches in the inner ankle is where the bone popped out when I tried to stand up. Damn, that was certainly a day to remember

All healed up now, riding as normal and covering the rear brake whenever I yank the bars ambitiously
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    3 months, broken femur, Tarw Trail Coed y Brenin. 2008.
    4 months, torn adductor/groin, dog attack, Royal Mail freebee...now.
    Back on the bike, 1st Nov. Woo Hoo!!!!
  • Worst accident I ever had was when I got so scared I wee'd myself a bit. Despite it all though, I still had the courage to ride home rather than get off and push... (I didn't wee myself really - it was worse!) :lol:

On a more serious note, I've been pretty lucky - my only big off was at Afan and left me with some bad grazing (could have been MUCH worse). Got it cleaned up at A&E and was back on the bike the next day. Was restricted to office work for the next few weeks at work though. I now wear knee and arm pads, and carry a first aid kit just in case...
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    about 2 years ago....another manual gone wrong scenario...backflipped (off a speed bump :oops: ) and landed all twisted up in the bike...

split meniscus in knee and nicked cruciate ligament....

they held off on surgery to see how it went....and fortunately did not need it....

cruciate ligament didn't get any worse and was stable enough and the meniscus....well add it to the list off body part that now don't really work properly...(along with the middle toes on my right foot which break when you look at them and are all squint, my right hand outside fingers...boxers break anyone??).

that needed 3 months in a leg brace, 6 months total on crutches (went down to 1 crutch after the first 3), then a further 6 months physio. I was allowed to ride on the road after the first 7 months and was starting to get back off-road after 9....the moral of my story is...always do everything that the physio tells you to do...they reckoned that was the reason my knee stabilised (the physio work trained it to support itself again) and the surgery was not required..

bad times.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • beardytwo
    beardytwo Posts: 174
    6 weeks and counting for me. Broke my scapula and now have it pinned and plated. Hip is still slightly swollen with a hematoma. Bruising was down to the knee, in the groin and all up my back. Helmet was smashed up and is now landfill. Going to see the consultant this afternoon hopefully to be signed off. Have been out for a few sneaky short rides though :? For all you guys still recovering get well soon...
  • still layed up in bed
  • JoeyBob
    JoeyBob Posts: 26
    I had just over 1 month off - I tried breaking in a corner when going to fast went off the track on Penmacno and landed on my left knee. Was told it was a possible fracture but later cleared splint was attached to my leg for 4 days I live up 4 flights of stairs with not lift so that was entertainmentI had to wait for the tendon to heal before biking again though tool a full 2months before it was all fully working again but as I said I was on the bike after about 1month.

Did damage to my left hand that's because I was assalted I was better after about 1 week even though I was still in pain and had very little energy but I managed it.
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    Twice for me.

First was back in 2005 when I went over the bars and down the side of a slope in the Whistler Bike Park, landed on my left wrist and broke it. Ended up having surgery to put a plate in. I think when it first happened it was around the end of July, then I got back on my bike for a special ride from the top of the mountain all the way to the bottom in October, although my Physio said I really shouldn't, but I couldn't pass it up.

Second time happened in 2007, the week after I had bought my brand new XC Bike!
    I broke my shoulder snowboarding in September and I think I didn't get to ride the bike until the following March.